Old February 5th 19, 12:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace filters

For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and MERV 8 regardless
of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11? We have no pets.

I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

Old February 5th 19, 12:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 19:23:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and MERV 8 regardless
of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11? We have no pets.

I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

Speaking only for myself, I'd use what is said by the home builder.
Try to keep the warranty?
Old February 5th 19, 12:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2019 7:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new house has a
furnace and uses filters.* It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and MERV 8 regardless
of the brand?* Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11?* We have no pets.

I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

I use air filters and had never heard the term MERV so looked up your
question:

https://airexpertsnj.com/knowledge/e...erv-11-filters

Prompted me to look at the filters I'm using and now see that they are
MERV 11. Don't know about price difference but sometimes filter may
collapse somewhat and more expensive filter might be sturdier.
Old February 5th 19, 01:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new
house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and
MERV 8
regardless of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11?
We have no
pets.
I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a
dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

As long as you replace frequently(max 30 days) my AC guy sez
it doesn't matter much. Just keep em clean

Old February 5th 19, 01:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2019 7:56 PM, Frank wrote:

I use air filters and had never heard the term MERV so looked up your
question:

https://airexpertsnj.com/knowledge/e...erv-11-filters

Prompted me to look at the filters I'm using and now see that they are
MERV 11.* Don't know about price difference but sometimes filter may
collapse somewhat and more expensive filter might be sturdier.

That articles puts it into simple words. Only a few pennies more for
better filtration.

Old February 5th 19, 04:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 19:23:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.
I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and MERV 8 regardless
of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11? We have no pets.
I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?
Discount filters seems cheapest.

I like to find a good deal - and buy 2 - 3 years worth.
My filters are 20 x 20 x 1 and I try to change them every
5 weeks ~ 4 or 5 filters per year no summer A/C

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/f...3472p.html#spc

Presently, these can be found at our Habitat Re-Store for $ 13. each.

Similar no-name are available for $ 15.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...5316p.html#srp

MERV 8 are 2 for $ 11.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...3408p.html#srp

Fill your boots.

A piece of green painters tape applied to the filter edge
with the install date marked is a handy reminder.

John T.

Old February 5th 19, 05:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 16:40:36 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 19:23:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and MERV 8 regardless
of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11? We have no pets.

I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

Speaking only for myself, I'd use what is said by the home builder.
Try to keep the warranty?

Absolutely nothing to do with warranty.

My rule of thumb is never buy the cheapest or the most expensive.
Go with a known brand name. See what your furnace guy supplies - you
can likely source exactly the same filter for less than he charges -
Home Despot, Lowes, Cpstco, etc,
Old February 5th 19, 05:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 19:12:16 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new
house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and
MERV 8
regardless of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11?
We have no
pets.
I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a
dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

As long as you replace frequently(max 30 days) my AC guy sez
it doesn't matter much. Just keep em clean

I have a washable electrostatic (passive) filter that I wash out every
couple of months since the cats died (every month when we had the 2)
Old February 5th 19, 05:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2019 12:08 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

Amazon has Aerostar MERV13 filters, 4 for $34. I'll try them. They are
allegedly equal to the top name brands.
Furnace Air Filter
Comparable to 3M Filtrete MPR 1500 to 1900 Ultimate Allergen Defense
Comparable to Honeywell Allergen Elite FPR 10