Old February 5th 19, 06:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace filters

This is what I use:

https://www.aafintl.com/en/commercia...ectpleat-hc-m8

Old February 5th 19, 08:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and MERV 8 regardless
of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11? We have no pets.

I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

Trouble is, they don't have efficiency rating on air flow drag.

Greg
Old February 5th 19, 01:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 7:40:43 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 19:23:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and MERV 8 regardless
of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11? We have no pets.

I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

Speaking only for myself, I'd use what is said by the home builder.
Try to keep the warranty?

Homebuilders don't know or care about furnace air filters.
Most can't even hire an HVAC company to do the job right.

Old February 5th 19, 01:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 8:12:25 PM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new
house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and
MERV 8
regardless of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11?
We have no
pets.
I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a
dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

As long as you replace frequently(max 30 days) my AC guy sez
it doesn't matter much. Just keep em clean

Why would anyone in a typical house replace a filter every 30 days?
Once a season, tops for me. I frequently go a couple seasons because
they are not dirty. If you live in a house with a bunch of pets
and/or other issues, even then I can't see 30 days.

Merv 13 vs 11, if the price is about the same, I'd get the better one.
But you also have to look at flow rate and be sure the higher efficiency
doesn't restrict the air flow too much. The higher Merv filters are 4"
thick with deep pleats, to increase surface area to keep pressure drop
acceptable.

Old February 5th 19, 02:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new
house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and
MERV 8
regardless of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11?
We have no
pets.
I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a
dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

As long as you replace frequently(max 30 days) my AC guy sez
it doesn't matter much. Just keep em clean

Why would anyone in a typical house replace a filter every 30 days?

What's a typical house? I live in a 1948 masonry structure partially
on a crawl space and partially on a basement. The cold air returns
are set into the floors. My husband has asthma. We have two
furnace filters: a prefilter and a big pleated paper filter.
We change the prefilter every month (and it is dirty), and the
paper filter twice a year.

Cindy Hamilton

Old February 5th 19, 02:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I'm going to see how it looks after 90 days. Of course, filter makers
suggest that time so they sell you a filter 4 times a year.

The 4" makes sense, but there is only room for a 1" so I'll go with that.
Old February 5th 19, 02:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Cold air returns in the floor are not typical.

Old February 5th 19, 04:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

My first house, built in 1948 had a gravity feed furnace. No blower, no
filters, returns in the wall but at floor level. Actually worked well.
Could not be adapted to add AC though.
Old February 5th 19, 04:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Nor atypical, particularly in retrofitted older homes. Cold air returns at
floor level on a wall are also not atypical, even in newer homes (as that's
where the cold air is during heating season).
Old February 5th 19, 05:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

You're not wrong. We put them in the floor because the original
ones in the wall used to wash down over the concrete block
foundation. Warm house air over cold block = mold.

Cindy Hamilton