Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tips and tricks, toilet flapper chain

As a service plumber for years, I have seen this intermittent problem for
years among all sorts of toilets. The more difficult to repair are the simple
newer chain activated flappers, mostly because the problem can be so
intermittent, even rare. Even when some of the typical issues are solved
(chain too long and getting under flapper, chain too long and catching on
lower link at the s-hook), there are issues where a cheap type twisted wire
chain (the ones where links are created two at a time by twisting a short
wire) is cut to the optimum length but has one double link turn at just the
right angle to hang up at 90 degrees, effectively shortening the chain. This
is one of those things that happens maybe every 50 or 100 times; usually as
one flushes as one leaves for the day (thus leaving the toilet running all
day), or a 3 am when one really doesn't want to make a second trip to the john.
In my own home I have found only a few, not always perfect, solutions. The
main thing is to be willing to put in enough time and enough care to carefully
adjust things, especially as one is often working on the problem at 2 am and
know a quick, easy fix will get you through for a while..

One solution is the use of good beaded chain, an item that was once in common
use. The problem is to make sure you get this made of a material suitable for
use in your home's water that won't degrade in a year or so. The other
problem is finding chain to hook adapters for either end. But, when cut to
the right length and with proper adapters, I've seen toilets that operated
trouble free for decades.
The other is to use real chain, even plastic chain, avoiding the double
link type. It is also a good idea to take one's time cutting the chain just
right (a good idea to buy about three time the length you may use as it's
cheap and you may cut it too short) and bending any attaching hooks so they
can't hang up on the chain.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1184603-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 18:44:02 GMT, Robert M Holton
m wrote:

[...]

1) Clean the flapper of cooties or replace a worn/ damaged one.

2) Go to Jr's Bait and Sushi Shop, buy a bobber (red & white plastic)
or even a cork float. Either one will float the chain -- adjust as
needed.

There!