Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shared well mess

OK I've got a situation that is along these lines but worse, my family moved
into a house neighboring a man I've known my whole life. It's a shared well
the person I bought it from sold the man I've known land to build his house
and split a line over to his house for water. And the land that was sold to
him is were the well head is, so years later my family buys the house and
here's the situation the well head is on his land the pressure tank is in my
crawl ( 4ft tall ) space electric to the pump is on my house meter. When we
moved in an old man and old woman, and he would bring a few cows up from a
lower field once or twice a year to finish them didn't use to much water . He
told me when we moved in that the old guy I bought from took 100 a year for
water usage, I thought kinda low but two old people and a few cows OK that's
cool. Fast forward two years his wife dies he's there alone still no big deal
on water we've lived there going on ten years now so around year 7 he
remarried to a lady that farms goats for milk so know they have 100 goats
(milk goats ) he raises pigs 6 to 10 at a time he's go chickens turkeys ducks
pretty much all live stock but horses and he still pays 100 a year. I'll note
over the years any problems have been split 50 50.
A few months ago I get a electric bill that's 357. I'm like wtf, so I go to
the crawl space and sure enough the pump is short cycling. So I track the
leak back to the shutoff value at the well head. But before I found that I
went to his house to find water standing by his barn I said that must be the
leak that made my electric bill triple. He says no that's been a slow leak
sense November the year prior. I'm like wtf we will call him Carlos. He said
it doesn't leak enough to cycle that pump like that and I said but Carlos
every bit of cycle time runs off my house it all matters to me.his wife comes
out and I said hey how about we put the pump on its own meter because you guys
have a full blow farm running now and I can't tell were I'm at as far as
efficiency, BTW my family has installed the most efficient appliances when
we have to replace anything over the years. He said no cost $30 a month alone
just for the meter I said I'll gladly split at least I'll know where I'm
standing and I also said I'll split the $15 a month for my part of the meter
and I'll pay you $100 a year for the next 9 years and his wife laughed at me
looked at me like I was crazy when I said that anyway it's Christmas time now
2018 and I think I'm going to go over and discuss this again with him since
another years past what are you guys think jacked-up situation huh

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1183316-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

..

what
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 10:14:07 AM UTC-5, backstrapassassin wrote:
[...]

You can put a watthour meter on just the pump circuit. An electrician can
do it or DIY if you have the skills. Assuming they are willing to trust
you not to tamper with it. If not, I guess you could put the meter in a locked
box that takes two keys to open, so they know you're not tampering with it.
But the fact that they are doing what they are doing, using the well for
a farming operation and the wife has the nerve to laugh at you isn't a
good sign.

The previous owner that sunk the well in a spot that they later decided to
sell was really dumb. IDK the layout, but you'd typically put a well
close to the house and you'd think almost naturally it wouldn't wind up
on a piece that you might later sell. Worst case, I'd be making sure
I had money available to drill a new well on your own property.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 11:01:50 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I should have added, if you're going to pay for this meter install, you
should get an agreement in writing with the neighbor to split the cost.
And that the other half of the problem is even if you measure the electric
used by the pump, how does the cost get split? You'd have to meter the
water too, to divide the cost accurately. And I'm betting that some
fixed arrangement, like 80/20 or 70/30, won't be acceptable to the neighbor.
They will probably want it split 50/50. I'd get how it's going to be
split into the written agreement too, before shelling out money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2018 10:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I should have added, if you're going to pay for this meter install, you
should get an agreement in writing with the neighbor to split the cost.
And that the other half of the problem is even if you measure the electric
used by the pump, how does the cost get split? You'd have to meter the
water too, to divide the cost accurately. And I'm betting that some
fixed arrangement, like 80/20 or 70/30, won't be acceptable to the neighbor.
They will probably want it split 50/50. I'd get how it's going to be
split into the written agreement too, before shelling out money.

People do the dumbest things because they happen to know them at the
time and don't think through what will happen eventually "on down the road".

Place up the road from us is similar situation, was working farmstead
back years ago; the principal died at very young age and the widow
moved, selling off the (almost new at the time) house and outbuildings
from the farm ground -- about 15-20 A tract out of the corner of the
half-section.

Anyway, some time later the new owner sold off a corner of that tract
that included the metal-building shed to another fella' and he moved his
business into it and put a decent mobile home down permanently as residence.

Lo! and behold! about six months after the new fella' was established,
the main property owner came home from work in town one evening to
discover he had no water...the tract he sold turned out to include the
well and the new dude had cut the pipe off at the well feeding the other
property.

Howling like a banshee did him no good, he'd sold it fair and square and
hadn't had the foresight to say anything in the contract about future
water rights...I never did learn whether he didn't have any legal advice
on the contract or whether he did it all on his own or whether he just
didn't bother to mention the well to the lawyer...

This fella' here shoulda' never brought the property without first
getting a legally-enforceable agreement on the water rights and
expenses...if he wanted the property badly enough to forego that, then
as you say, he should just plan on either a major legal battle to
establish those rights for what will continue always be a bad situation
or just "bite the bullet" and drill his own well and be shut of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 4:01:30 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
[...]

And he's not in a good position now, because the most expensive part of
the system, the well, is on the other people's property. I doubt he has
a leg to stand on legally. They bought their property, well included.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2018 7:29 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 4:01:30 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

This fella' here shoulda' never brought the property without first
getting a legally-enforceable agreement on the water rights and
expenses...if he wanted the property badly enough to forego that, then
as you say, he should just plan on either a major legal battle to
establish those rights for what will continue always be a bad situation
or just "bite the bullet" and drill his own well and be shut of it.

--

+1

And he's not in a good position now, because the most expensive part of
the system, the well, is on the other people's property. I doubt he has
a leg to stand on legally. They bought their property, well included.

Not great, but I'd guess that probably since the situation was existing
when he bought the house and that part of the system is actually in his
house on his property that he could manage to obtain such a state but
lacking much sign of cooperation from the other part, it could easily
end up costing more in legal fees without an absolute certainty of
success than just drilling the well would be.

Why folks walk into these situations is hard to fathom...what were they
thinking when signing a contract under such a situation when clearly
they knew all about it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2018 9:44 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/22/2018 7:29 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 4:01:30 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

This fella' here shoulda' never brought the property without first
getting a legally-enforceable agreement on the water rights and
expenses...if he wanted the property badly enough to forego that, then
as you say, he should just plan on either a major legal battle to
establish those rights for what will continue always be a bad situation
or just "bite the bullet" and drill his own well and be shut of it.

--

+1

And he's not in a good position now, because the most expensive part of
the system, the well, is on the other people's property.Â* I doubt he has
a leg to stand on legally.Â* They bought their property, well included.

Not great, but I'd guess that probably since the situation was existing
when he bought the house and that part of the system is actually in his
house on his property that he could manage to obtain such a state but
lacking much sign of cooperation from the other part, it could easily
end up costing more in legal fees without an absolute certainty of
success than just drilling the well would be.

Why folks walk into these situations is hard to fathom...what were they
thinking when signing a contract under such a situation when clearly
they knew all about it...

--

Why not just cut off power to the well at the times you know the guy is
going to use it. Then, negotiate!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/18 10:14 AM, backstrapassassin wrote:
OK I've got a situation thatÂ* is along these lines but worse,Â* my family
moved
into a house neighboring a man I've known my whole life. It's a shared well
the person I bought it from sold the man I've knownÂ* land to build his
house
and split a line over to his house for water. And the land that was sold to
him is were the well head is, so years later my family buys the house and
here's the situationÂ* the well head is on his land the pressureÂ* tank is
in my
crawlÂ* ( 4ft tall ) spaceÂ* electric to the pump is on my house meter.
When we
moved inÂ* an old man and old woman, and he would bring a few cows up from a
lower field once or twice a year to finish them didn't use to much water
. He
told me when we moved in that the old guy I bought from took 100 a year for
water usage, I thought kinda low but two old people and a few cows OK
that's
cool. Fast forward two years his wife dies he's there alone still no big
deal
on water we've lived there going on ten years now so around year 7 he
remarried to a lady that farms goats for milk so know they have 100 goats
(milk goats ) he raises pigs 6 to 10 at a time he's go chickens turkeys
ducks
pretty much all live stock but horses and he still pays 100 a year. I'll
note
over the years any problemsÂ* have been split 50 50. A few months ago I
get a electricÂ* bill that's 357. I'm like wtf, so I go to
the crawl space and sure enough the pump is short cycling.Â* So I track the
leak back to the shutoff valueÂ* at the wellÂ* head. But before I found
that I
went to his house to find water standing by his barn I said that must be
the
leak that made my electric bill triple.Â* He says no that's been a slow leak
sense November the year prior. I'm like wtfÂ* we will call him Carlos.
He said
it doesn't leak enough to cycle that pump like that and I said but Carlos
every bit of cycle time runs off my house it all matters to me.his wife
comes
out and I said hey how about we put the pump on its own meter because
you guys
have a full blow farm running now and I can't tell were I'm at as far as
efficiency,Â* BTW my family has installed the most efficientÂ* appliances
when
we have to replace anything over the years. He said no cost $30 a month
alone
just for the meter I said I'll gladly split at least I'll know where I'm
standing and I also said I'll split the $15 a month for my part of the
meter
and I'll pay you $100 a year for the next 9 years and his wife laughed
at me
looked at me like I was crazy when I said that anyway it's Christmas
time now
2018 and I think I'm going to go over and discuss this again with him since
another years past what are you guys think jacked-up situation huh

"Return/Enter" key missing on your keyboard?

--
I don't lock my door at night because I hate the people outside. I do it
because I love the people inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 7:25:41 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
On 12/22/2018 9:44 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Probably not a good idea. The neighbor may then retaliate by cutting off
the water line and installing his own tank and pump. The neighbor has the most
expensive, hardest to replace part of the system, the well.

Another angle, how long ago did the OP purchase his house and was this
situation disclosed at the time? If it's not too many years ago and it
was not disclosed, I'd say he has an excellent case against the seller for
not disclosing a serious defect that compromises the property that the
seller clearly knew about. If it's still within the statute of limitations,
I would look into pursuing it in small claims court, suing for the cost
of a well. It really does lower the value of the property, how easy it
will be to sell it to someone else, etc., even if he does get some kind
of written agreement with the neighbor. Most people buying a home, don't
want that kind of screwy arrangement and headache. I think DPB brought
this up, did the buyer have a lawyer involved in the sale and was this
well issue known at the time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 8:44:28 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:

--
I don't lock my door at night because I hate the people outside. I do it
because I love the people inside.

That's a very good saying, I'll have to remember it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2018-12-23 7:15 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 8:44:28 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:

--
I don't lock my door at night because I hate the people outside. I do it
because I love the people inside.

That's a very good saying, I'll have to remember it.

i never lock my my door even when i'm not home
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/18 10:14 AM, backstrapassassin wrote:
I also said I'll split the $15 a month for my part of the meter
and I'll pay you $100 a year for the next 9 years and his wife laughed at me
looked at me like I was crazy when I said that anyway it's Christmas time now
2018 and I think I'm going to go over and discuss this again with him since
another years past what are you guys think jacked-up situation huh

If you can't come to friendly terms, it's time for a nice new well with a submersible pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get your own well, cut off his electric and be done...WTF??

"backstrapassassin" m
wrote in message ...
[...]
:
: --
: for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1183316-.htm
:
:

Well, well, well. Apparently even Steve Bannon thinks meeting withthe Russians was.......treason! trader_4 Home Repair 4 January 4th 18 02:15 PM
Well well well...another pressure tank question N7RX Home Repair 13 October 7th 04 03:01 AM
Shared private sewer question pse UK diy 6 July 6th 04 05:38 PM
Shared Interests Timbo UK diy 2 December 19th 03 10:22 AM
Well, well, well; Delta MAY have listened - the brand new 14 Band Saw now has a RESILIENT MOUNT motor! shades of yesteryear! David Binkowski Woodworking 3 August 21st 03 06:28 AM