Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water radiator wont fill up

A friend has an outdoor wood furnace going to a building. He put two
radiators (the old cast iron type) in the lower level and they heat
well. He put another radiator in the upper floor and that one will not
fill up. It's only heating the bottom of that radiator. I opened the
bleeder while it was running, and no air or water comes out. I then
removed the entire bleeder and still nothing comes out. There does not
appear to be a clog behind that bleeder.

I am thinking one of two possibilities. Either the pump on the furnace
does not have enough pressure to lift the water to that second level, or
else that radistor needs some sort of restriction on it's OUTPUT side to
force the water to the top of the radiator. Currently he just has both
pipes going to the radiator, one to the bottom left, the other to the
bottom right.

(This is a HOT WATER, -NOT- a Steam heat setup).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 6:20:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Any of the other radiators have valves or thermostat valves? If so close them and see what happens. How about filling it up using the air bleed hole? Could be pump head capacity, size of pipes, length of run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
[...]

The outlet should be near the top, not at the bottom.
I would not restrict the flow...no need to....

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:01:09 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 17:20:28 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Hot water radiators get filled with house water pressure. You bleed it when there is
pressure to it. Make sure the fill valve is open before you bleed it.

Make sure the fill valve is open.

If the bottom half warms up, doesn't that mean the fill valve is open?

And when I had hot water heat long ago, the water came in bottom left
and left bottom right. It was nice, it didn't make noise, it didn't
make steam, it had no relief valve to fail and dribble, and it only had
to be bled once a year, start of the season. I guess some heat went
back with the water, but it was all indoors so not really lost. I
haven't seen an outdoor wood furnace with indoor radiators.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:01:09 -0600, Vic Smith

There does not appear to be a clog behind that bleeder.

Do you mean right behind the bleeder? Any clog would likely be farther
down.

Hot water radiators get filled with house water pressure.

Tnat's what I thought. That bleeding is done when the furnace is off
implies there is enough water pressure to fill all the radiators.

Does the home have adequate water pressure at the second floor sinks,
etc?

Are these new radiators or used. Perhaps a thermometer, espeically a
one of those which measures from a distance, or even a bulb thermometer,
could be placed along the ribs of the radiator, moved up and down to
find how high the water goes, and maybe there's a blockage.

Hit it with a mallet or the side of a hammer a few times to dislodge the
scale in an old radiator????

You bleed it when there is
pressure to it. Make sure the fill valve is open before you bleed it.

Make sure the fill valve is open.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Maybe. If they are just starting it up, a new system, and they have
this problem, then yes, it would be. But if it's an existing system,
been sitting there for who knows how long, maybe has a leak, etc,
then the valve could be shut. I think modern ones have autofill with
the valve on all the time, but this sounds like a homebrew.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hot water radiators get filled with house water pressure. You bleed it when there is
pressure to it. Make sure the fill valve is open before you bleed it.

Make sure the fill valve is open.

+1

it is not the circulation pump that gets the water to fill the system.

It is the house supply pressure. Make sure the refill supply valve is open when you try to bleed the system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 9:13:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Hot water radiators get filled with house water pressure. You bleed it when there is
pressure to it. Make sure the fill valve is open before you bleed it.

Make sure the fill valve is open.

+1

it is not the circulation pump that gets the water to fill the system.

It is the house supply pressure. Make sure the refill supply valve is open when you try to bleed the system.

That's a good point. They typically use an autofill valve, think that's
separate, ie there may be a regular valve followed by an autofill valve.
If the regular valve is open, possible the autofill if there is one,
isn't working. You and Vic are right, if the bleeder is open and the
radiator won't fill, then it's a problem with the water supply being
off or having inadequate pressure, unless somehow the radiator is plugged
behind the bleeder, which seems unlikely. Are those autofill valves
pressure adjustable? Maybe the pressure is set too low?