Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

Default Hot water radiator wont fill up

On 2018-12-18 4:32 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/18/2018 6:20 PM, wrote:
A friend has an outdoor wood furnace going to a building. He put two
radiators (the old cast iron type) in the lower level and they heat
well. He put another radiator in the upper floor and that one will not
fill up. It's only heating the bottom of that radiator. I opened the
bleeder while it was running, and no air or water comes out. I then
removed the entire bleeder and still nothing comes out. There does not
appear to be a clog behind that bleeder.

I am thinking one of two possibilities. Either the pump on the furnace
does not have enough pressure to lift the water to that second level, or
else that radistor needs some sort of restriction on it's OUTPUT side to
force the water to the top of the radiator. Currently he just has both
pipes going to the radiator, one to the bottom left, the other to the
bottom right.

(This is a HOT WATER, -NOT- a Steam heat setup).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Check the pump capacity.

remove the radiator and run it see if you hear anything like water