Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Who knows about servicing well pressure tanks??

On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 9:35:09 PM UTC-5, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
I am on a shared well which was dug in 2002 and has
a pump at 48 feet depth and a casing of 60 feet.

Recently, it was noted by a member of the HOA that
the pump may be cycling too often. This is probably
because the pressure tank has NEVER been serviced
since 2002. Googled said well pumps and pressure
tanks may last up to 25 years but the pressure tanks
usually need to be checked for proper air pressure and
capacity so the rubber diaphragm works properly so the
pump doesn't cycle off and on constantly. It would appear
that when about two to three gallons of water is let out
the tap at the well head that the pump cycles on.

According to the plates on the well head the pump is
rated at 15 gpm at 80 psi. That means the pressure tank
is probably about 25 gallons. Not very large. But, it
is buried so it may take a metal detector to locate it but
I suspect it is right next to the well head in line with a
sleeved 4" PVC ball valve that Tees to the water main
that proceeds along the main road.

Has anybody here in these groups any experience with
putting more air into the bladder side of a well pressure
tank?

--

Yours Truly,
Gregøry Hall

time to match mine the last time you forged me, punk." --Checkmate

It should be pressurized so that it's a couple pounds lower than
the pressure that the pump starts. You set it with the tank drained.
How you're going to do any of that, especially getting the tank empty
when it's buried, IDK. I've never heard of one being buried before,
that's really dumb.
Typically they are placed outside a building, in a basement, or even
just surrounded by some bushes to hide and protect it, if there is no
other reasonable alternative. If you have to dig it out to get to it,
I'd consider replacing it with an above ground one, if it were me.
Especially if it's a shared one, they don't cost all that much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 07:05:20 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Gregřry Hall

time to match mine the last time you forged me, punk." --Checkmate

It should be pressurized so that it's a couple pounds lower than
the pressure that the pump starts. You set it with the tank drained.
How you're going to do any of that, especially getting the tank empty
when it's buried, IDK. I've never heard of one being buried before,
that's really dumb.
Typically they are placed outside a building, in a basement, or even
just surrounded by some bushes to hide and protect it, if there is no
other reasonable alternative. If you have to dig it out to get to it,
I'd consider replacing it with an above ground one, if it were me.
Especially if it's a shared one, they don't cost all that much.

I just changed mine a few weeks ago. Everything trader said above is
correct. But, I can't tell which type you have. Older tanks (without
a bladder) lasted forever, but someone had to add air regularly to
keep them working. The air eventually dissolves into the water since
it is in direct contact. The newer tanks with the bladder don't have
that problem, but in my experience don't last very long. Usually less
than 10 years and, in a few cases, only a few years. (Those were then
replaced under warranty because they were guarateed for 7 years -
WellXtrol brand). When the bladder fails, they still work for a while
because, like the old style tanks, it takes a while for the air to
dissolve in the water. Like trader said, I never heard of the
pressure tank being buried. Since I live is a northern climate, I
have only ever seen them in a basement or utility room. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Agree, I assumed it's bladder type since it was done in 2002, but IDK
who in their right mind would bury one of either type, so who knows.

Older tanks (without
a bladder) lasted forever, but someone had to add air regularly to
keep them working. The air eventually dissolves into the water since
it is in direct contact.

Actually they had automatic systems on them to maintain the air level.
If that failed, then they water logged.

The newer tanks with the bladder don't have
that problem, but in my experience don't last very long. Usually less
than 10 years and, in a few cases, only a few years. (Those were then
replaced under warranty because they were guarateed for 7 years -
WellXtrol brand). When the bladder fails, they still work for a while
because, like the old style tanks, it takes a while for the air to
dissolve in the water. Like trader said, I never heard of the
pressure tank being buried. Since I live is a northern climate, I
have only ever seen them in a basement or utility room. Good luck.

Here in NYC area there are a lot of them outside, for irrigation wells.
You drain them for winter. I agree and should have said that the bladder
may have failed. Two ways to figure that out. One is to re-pressurize
it and see if it only lasts a few months. Other would be to remove the
bladder and inspect. I'd go for option two if it's buried and
it's going to be reburied. Just replace the bladder. But like I said,
I'd strongly consider relocating it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/18 9:05 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

How does the member know the well pump is cycling too often?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In over 40 years I've needed 2 new tanks because they started leaking.
The last was over 10 years ago and I recently had the plumber over for a
couple of other jobs and asked him to check the pressure and it was
fine. I had not noticed any more frequent recycling which can be sign
of low pressure in the bladder.