Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sign post in dry crumbly soil

I need to erect a sign post where I have it all ready but a neighbor said I
should use concrete.

I was just going to hammer it in by using a step ladder and long handled
mallet.

Here is a picture of the sign post which is u shaped heavy steel
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_posts.jpg

The soil is hard to describe. It's dry and mostly fine grained. Bigger
grains than sand. Smaller grains than pebbles.

Winds can get to a good speed. Other than winds, I'm not sure what else
will knock it down.

I never put a sign in the ground before.
I never used concrete either.

How deep should it go?

There is a half bag of dry concrete mortar in the basement along with all
the paint buckets and other materials that came with the house from the
previous owner long ago (fifteen years).
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_mortars.jpg

How deep would you hammer it in if you were to hammer it in?
If you concrete it, what's the SIMPLEST CHEAPEST way?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 Sep 2018 00:22:27 +0300, Miroslav Svoboda
wrote:

I need to erect a sign post where I have it all ready but a neighbor said I
should use concrete.

I was just going to hammer it in by using a step ladder and long handled
mallet.

Here is a picture of the sign post which is u shaped heavy steel
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_posts.jpg

The soil is hard to describe. It's dry and mostly fine grained. Bigger
grains than sand. Smaller grains than pebbles.

Winds can get to a good speed. Other than winds, I'm not sure what else
will knock it down.

I never put a sign in the ground before.
I never used concrete either.

How deep should it go?

At least 2 feet. Others who know more may say more.

There is a half bag of dry concrete mortar in the basement along with all
the paint buckets and other materials that came with the house from the
previous owner long ago (fifteen years).
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_mortars.jpg

How deep would you hammer it in if you were to hammer it in?

At least 2 feet. Others who know more may say more. Put a block of
wood on top of it before hammering, to not mess it up.

If you concrete it, what's the SIMPLEST CHEAPEST way?

I don't know much about mortar mix so 'm not sure what's in your bag,
whether it has to be mixed with sand or anything -- maybe not -- and if
it got wet during all this time, it might have hardened (or gotten
ruined without hardening??) But I've had stuff in my basement for a
few years that was still good. If it something can last 4 years, it can
last 15, in my opinion.

I actually did spend a few days putting in posts, and the guys who
started before me used Redi-Crete, or some other dry, premixed powder to
which you just add water. But they found to save time, they'd dig the
hole, pound the post in below the bottom of the hole, pour in the
redi-crete and leave it. We were nowhere near plumbing and they'd use
the moisture in the soil to harden the concrete. They'd been doing this
on weekends for weeks and it worked. I drive by some of these posts and
they are still standing 20 or 25 years later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In news :

From: micky
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Sign post in dry crumbly soil
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 19:57:15 -0400

wrote:

[...]

I couldn't find my original post in this group all the trolls making the
entire group unreadable.

I'm happy you found it because this group is so filled with trolls that
it's almost entirely useless to find any information about home repair.

Thank you for suggesting two feet and wood to pound the sign post in.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_posts.jpg

Since it's only one hole, I can easily bring a bucket of water if concrete
is necessary.

The mortar mix I have is as dry and powdery as can be even if it's years
old.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_mortars.jpg

The question is whether posts get concrete and if they do, whether I should
I just plop that half bag into the wheelbarrow and mix it up, or do I add
rocks and sand too?

If I had done it once I would know all this but I haven't done it so I am
just asking your advice before I make too many mistakes of the new bee.

Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you.

Frost matters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/18 4:22 PM, Miroslav Svoboda wrote:
[...]

We set 4x4 posts to mount fairly heavy electrical panels. We
generally dig down
at least three feet. We put the post where we want it, pour some
premixed dry concrete
around the post and tamp the concrete. No need to use water. The
posts hold
and the concrete gradually absorbs water from the surrounding soil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In . 115.223 & Wayne
Boatwright :

How long is the post?

I just measured it.
It is six feet zero inches long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 Sep 2018 02:09:29 -0000 (UTC), Wayne
Boatwright wrote:

On Wed 26 Sep 2018 06:31:58p, Miroslav Svoboda told us...

In . 115.223 & Wayne
Boatwright :

How long is the post?

I just measured it.
It is six feet zero inches long.

I would think you'd need to budy at least 2 feet of it in the concrete,
to give it adequate stability, or certainly at least 18 inches.

YOu don't show what's on the sign, but if it's telling people to do
something they don't want to do, it would probably help if it's those 6
inches higher. It will remind them of their father instead of their
little brother.

If it ever falls down, you can put it up again differently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boatwright wrote:

On Wed 26 Sep 2018 06:31:58p, Miroslav Svoboda told us...

In . 115.223 & Wayne
Boatwright :

How long is the post?

I just measured it.
It is six feet zero inches long.

If there's only one post, how did you get a picture of both ends at the
saem time?

Crumbly bricks cool cucumber UK diy 1 January 29th 12 03:09 PM
To take a traffic sign off a sign post, do I not hold the back of thescrew with one pliers while I twist the nut with another pliers? Chris Tsao Home Repair 7 October 21st 10 04:45 AM
Basement wall too crumbly to finish over? Watch my video! Bryan Scholtes Home Repair 12 June 12th 10 07:49 PM
How do I use injection resin to stabilise stairgate in crumbly wall [email protected] UK diy 13 April 12th 08 11:21 AM
crumbly drywall on the ceiling [email protected] Home Repair 3 March 11th 06 09:41 AM