Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flood damage

I just had a leak in waterline behind a bathroom wall in
MY basement that we didn't know about until more than a foot of water filled
up basement. The insurance adjuster came out and said we were covered and he
approved and gave me an initial payment right on the spot However the
payment for all that water clean up and damage seemed kind of low . Now we
have found mold two weeks later and it's in the hvac duct and also on bottom
of walls at three or four locations . And while pulling back the old paneling
I found a large horizobtal rack hairline to about 1/8 in h width . Would
these two items be something I should add onto to this claim or is my
responsibility .

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1173220-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 19:14:02 GMT, Hil-5771
m wrote:

I just had a leak in waterline behind a bathroom wall in
MY basement that we didn't know about until more than a foot of water filled
up basement. The insurance adjuster came out and said we were covered and he
approved and gave me an initial payment right on the spot However the
payment for all that water clean up and damage seemed kind of low . Now we
have found mold two weeks later and it's in the hvac duct and also on bottom
of walls at three or four locations . And while pulling back the old paneling
I found a large horizobtal rack hairline to about 1/8 in h width . Would
these two items be something I should add onto to this claim or is my
responsibility .

Find yourself a damn good subrogation lawyer.

Was the line the fault or your own negligence?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2018 2:14 PM, Hil-5771 wrote:
I just had a leak in waterline behind a bathroom wall in MY basement
that we didn't know about until more than a foot of water filled
up basement. The insurance adjuster came out and said we were covered
and he
approved and gave me an initial paymentÂ* right on the spot HoweverÂ* the
payment for all that water clean up and damage seemed kind of low . Now we
have found mold two weeks later and it's in the hvac duct and also on
bottom
of walls at three or four locations . And while pulling back the old
paneling
I found a large horizobtalÂ* rack hairline to about 1/8 in h width . Would
these two items be something I should add onto to this claim or is my
responsibility .

Outside chance on the mold _if_ you can show proper attempts to dry the
place out quickly after the initial water damage I'd think but if you
just let the place sit and dry out on its own I'd expect the insurance
folks will say that's your problem. Much in these depends on the
particular company and agent you're dealing with ime; some are much more
amenable to working with you than others.

I don't see how the water leak would have any bearing on the cracks and
they sound like basic normal occurrence so doubt if they are covered,
anyway.

Must've been a full-blown break rather than just a small leak to have
accumulated that much w/o knowing it...or were out of town or something?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 20 Aug 2018 19:14:02 GMT, Hil-5771
m wrote:

I just had a leak in waterline behind a bathroom wall in
MY basement that we didn't know about until more than a foot of water filled
up basement. The insurance adjuster came out and said we were covered and he
approved and gave me an initial payment right on the spot However the
payment for all that water clean up and damage seemed kind of low . Now we
have found mold two weeks later and it's in the hvac duct and also on bottom
of walls at three or four locations . And while pulling back the old paneling
I found a large horizobtal rack hairline to about 1/8 in h width . Would
these two items be something I should add onto to this claim or is my
responsibility .

What is the rack, or do you mean crack, in? What is on the other side
of the c-rack?

What would it take to repair it? STuffing an appropriate substance in
the crack? How much could that cost. $100?

1/8" is not much. Houses get cracks when they settle. In my
amateurish opinion, they don't get them when the flood, though a foot of
water does weigh quite a bit.

My impression is that construction techniques have improved since 70
years ago and they usually don't settle as much as they used to, but I'm
guessing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 20 Aug 2018 15:35:42 -0500, dpb
wrote:

[...]

I don't know about this case but the tube to my powder room toilet
sprung a big leak while I was out for 2 or 3 hours. I'm lucky I got back
when I did. Water pouring into the basement, tile unglued from the
powder room floor. I put the tile back where it was and when it dried
out, it was glued again!

Flood lights that don't flood Kurt Ullman Home Repair 11 December 5th 11 11:21 PM
Need independent opinions on flood damage [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 7th 10 11:48 PM
flood damage ? Colin Wilson UK diy 3 May 13th 08 05:48 PM
Condo Flood Insurance Rates - high risk flood zone [email protected] Home Ownership 4 September 2nd 06 09:14 PM
Flood Damage BigWallop UK diy 2 July 27th 03 09:59 PM