Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flood damage ?

For a 1930's build house, how soon - or would you - expect to see
water damage if you get flooding to within an inch of the damp
course ? (patio was 4-5" below water approx)

....either to foundations / internal floors which are unlikely to have
a damp proof membrane etc.

If not as a one-off, how about on an ongoing basis at least annually
now ? (slip / heave etc. - we're in a clay soil area)

If this was a "new" phenomenen caused by the erection of a new
building that effectively created a dam against the natural drainage
of the land for the proceeding 70 years, who could you claim against ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...

For a 1930's build house, how soon - or would you - expect to see
water damage if you get flooding to within an inch of the damp
course ? (patio was 4-5" below water approx)

I wouldn't expect to see any, based upon the fact that, until fairly
recently, that was a normal winter occurence for my 1931 house. The water
table regularly came above ground level until they installed pumps in the
land drains.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 May, 00:48, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
For a 1930's build house, how soon - or would you - expect to see
water damage if you get flooding to within an inch of the damp
course ? (patio was 4-5" below water approx)

...either to foundations / internal floors which are unlikely to have
a damp proof membrane etc.

If not as a one-off, how about on an ongoing basis at least annually
now ? (slip / heave etc. - we're in a clay soil area)

If this was a "new" phenomenen caused by the erection of a new
building that effectively created a dam against the natural drainage
of the land for the proceeding 70 years, who could you claim against ?

I agree with Colin
Chris

If, hypothetically, you had suffered loss as a result of someone doing
something that caused you a flood, you would be suffering a
"nuicance" (water entry) as a result of his activity and in theory
could sue him. I would not like to be paying the expert witnesses that
you would need to prove causation! He of course, would have recourse
to his designer and possibly the local council....
Chris

SPAM flood Louis Ohland Metalworking 2 December 10th 07 01:54 PM
Condo Flood Insurance Rates - high risk flood zone [email protected] Home Ownership 4 September 2nd 06 09:14 PM
Anyone try flood stop? Cathy Kearns Home Ownership 1 July 16th 06 08:51 PM
Flood Coolant Ken Cutt Metalworking 7 May 29th 05 03:35 AM
Flood Damage BigWallop UK diy 2 July 27th 03 09:59 PM