Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

On 7 Aug 2018 18:06:34 GMT, rbowman wrote:

It's like mounting tires at home (which is so easy, it's not funny).
Anything who hasn't done it doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'll give you a call the next time I reshoe the DR650. I don't know why
but getting the bead to seat on the Kenda front was a bitch last time
around. Dunlop D606's just fall into place.

I did my K1200 all the time before the crash ... where tires don't seem to
last long on those big German bikes...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7 Aug 2018 19:53:34 GMT, rbowman wrote:

At least with tubed tires the bead will seat sooner or later.

Seating the bead is trivial.

There are 6 beads to deal with, only one of which is tactically difficult
on sedan & SUV tires (I've never done anything bigger than 17 inches).

Old Ti
1. Breaking the top bead
2. Breaking the bottom bead
3. Removing the top bead
4. Removing the bottom bead
New Ti
5. Seating the bottom bead
6. Seating the top bead

The only hard one is the last bead (requires knowledge of the drop center).

The first bead is hard only if you don't have a good bead breaker.
(For years, I used the bead-breaker attachment instead of a separate bead
breaker. I'll never recommend that attachment except for puny 15 inch tires
or smaller - which most of mine are not - because SUV tires were difficult
using that attachment - but easy using the stand-alone bead breaker).

The rest of the beads are so easy as to not even be worth mentioning.

Sealing works in seconds if you remove the valve core and screw on the
compressor gun. It pops once or thrice and it's done before you get to
fifty psi. Then you lower the air pressure to whatever you like and you're
done seating the thing. It's that easy.

I've done about 20 tires (I stopped counting once I broke even).
I'm doing four more on the Mitsubishi (I only did the one that blew out).

The 14-inch Mitsubishi tire was so easy as to be not even worth noting.

Anyone who complains that doing a tire is too hard will have to get the
question from me as to whether they've actually done it, because it's so
easy that it's not funny (if you have the tools that I have).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 08/07/2018 09:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Seating the bead is trivial.

Whatever you say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 04:08:23 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

On 6 Aug 2018 20:23:09 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

Like I said - THERMAL DISTORTION - AKA warpage.
You have a different definition?

Rotors are GENERALLY made of grey iron - so it IS applicable.
Anything that causes movement in metal constitutes WARPAGE

Hi Clare,
Let's stop this nonsense.

That paper clearly and obviously measured two things:
a. Lateral runout
b. Disc thickness variation

Never once did that paper mention measurement of warp (as in potato chip).

I'm OK if people suggest a paper because I love to learn, but you have to
assume I'm intelligent enough to know that just googling for the word warp
connected with temperature doesn't mean the paper shows *anything* about
warp happening with temperature.

Maybe most people here deal with people who can't comprehend what a paper
says, but I can read almost any paper (I read Physics papers all the time)
and if I want to, I can comprehend what they say.

That paper said absolutely nothing about warp (as in potato chip).

I'm not chastising you. I *appreciate* that you tried to show that the disc
can get to a temperature that is hot enough to cause warp, as I had already
provided multiple references which said that such temperatures are
impossible in street use.

It's a valid question.

If someone can provide a paper that proves that such temperatures actually
commonly happen, I'll *read* (and comprehend) that paper.

But don't throw a paper at me that says absolutely zero about warp.
(Please assume I'm intelligent enough to read & comprehend the paper.)

I am NOT chastising you.
I'm just telling the truth - which is that paper had nothing to do with
warp even though the Korean authors used the word in the paper.

They were talking about:
a. Lateral runout, and,
b. Disc thickness variation
(among other things, like heat treating effects.)

Which if you understand ANYTHING about castings, metalurgy, and
materials science, is EXACTLY what we are talking about.

Good Bye.

Clare, this is exactly why this guy has to post under a different nym every
time. you, others (and I) have given him sage advice time after time and it
always evolves to some engineering paper argument. He doesn't even
acknowledge me anymore because I don't fit in with his 'process'.

So, again, I ask the question of Arlen why do you change your nym every time
you start a new thread?

--
Tekkie