Old July 22nd 06, 09:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ?????

Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

One other thing. I used some anti-sieze on all threads. What can I
use to remove it before I use the JB Weld (if I do)? I dont think it
will hold good to that stuff. Will carb cleaner remove it?

Thanks

Mark

*Damn I hate working on exhaust systems*

Old July 22nd 06, 10:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

Drill it out and install a helicoil.

Old July 22nd 06, 01:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:26:49 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

Drill it out and install a helicoil.

Huh...... A helicoil ........
You lost me ????
What's a helicoil?
Old July 22nd 06, 01:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:26:49 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

Drill it out and install a helicoil.

Huh...... A helicoil ........
You lost me ????
What's a helicoil?

Google is your friend! : )

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

Old July 22nd 06, 02:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

Old July 22nd 06, 05:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

good to 600 degrees
Old July 23rd 06, 05:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:21:10 -0400, Curmudgeon
wrote:

m Ransley wrote:
JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

good to 600 degrees

I have a tube but haven't used JB Weld. I've used PC70 a lot, and I
patched a little pot with it, then boiled water, forgot and boiled out
all the water, and that continued to work.