DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ????? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169993-using-jb-weld-exhaust-manifold.html)

[email protected] July 22nd 06 09:34 AM

Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ?????

Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

One other thing. I used some anti-sieze on all threads. What can I
use to remove it before I use the JB Weld (if I do)? I dont think it
will hold good to that stuff. Will carb cleaner remove it?

Thanks

Mark

*Damn I hate working on exhaust systems*

Noozer July 22nd 06 10:26 AM

wrote in message
Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

Drill it out and install a helicoil.

[email protected] July 22nd 06 01:15 PM

Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ?????

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:26:49 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

Drill it out and install a helicoil.

Huh...... A helicoil ........
You lost me ????
What's a helicoil?

Noozer July 22nd 06 01:49 PM

wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:26:49 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?
I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange). Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

Drill it out and install a helicoil.

Huh...... A helicoil ........
You lost me ????
What's a helicoil?

Google is your friend! : )

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

m Ransley July 22nd 06 02:57 PM

Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ?????

JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

[email protected] July 22nd 06 03:04 PM

Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ?????

jb wont work on it. ge the threads repaired by heli coil.

Curmudgeon July 22nd 06 05:21 PM

m Ransley wrote:
JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

good to 600 degrees

Jim Yanik July 22nd 06 06:24 PM

Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ?????

wrote in
:

Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?

Epoxy is a plastic,and it will not take the 1000deg-plus heat of an
exhaust manifold.

I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange).

Yes,BRASS nuts should not have seized like that.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

mm July 23rd 06 05:45 AM

Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ?????

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:21:10 -0400, Curmudgeon
wrote:

m Ransley wrote:
JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

good to 600 degrees

I have a tube but haven't used JB Weld. I've used PC70 a lot, and I
patched a little pot with it, then boiled water, forgot and boiled out
all the water, and that continued to work.

[email protected] July 23rd 06 07:46 AM

Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ?????

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:57:42 -0500, (m Ransley)
wrote:

JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

They state it's 600deg F.
However, I have no idea how hot a manifold gets (by numerical degrees)

Mark

Jim Yanik July 24th 06 04:37 PM

wrote:

JB weld is plastic, what is its melt point, temp limit. Probably to low
for exuast.

exhaust temps exceed 1000 degF.

They state it's 600deg F.
However, I have no idea how hot a manifold gets (by numerical degrees)

Mark

there's no data on how SOFT the JBWeld epoxy gets at 600degF,either.
It's not going to be as strong as at normal temps.
600degF is porbably where it starts melting or begins to char.

ISTR a tube of goop called 'muffler bandage' that would withstand exhaust
heat,in fact depended on it for it's curing.My tube was thrown out in the
last spring cleaning,or I'd verify and get the exact name.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik