Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Actual conversation

The bathroom sink is leaking.

OK I'll rebuild the faucet, I have a kit.
Now that I think of it, I've rebuilt it several times....I think I will
just get a whole new faucet.
You know what, I never did like that sink....I'm going to get a whole
new sink AND faucet.

As long as you are going to do that, maybe we should put in a cabinet
below the sink?

After going to Home Depot's website and taking measurements, I return to
the bathroom and look at our worn out 65 year old bathtub and say:
I think the bathtub has priority.

We both agree to having an expert replace it next year...

and I rebuild the faucet one more time.

After note:

I rebuilt the cold water tap, my wife told me it was the "hot" that was
leaking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2018 9:32 AM, philo wrote:
The bathroom sink is leaking.

OK I'll rebuild the faucet, I have a kit.
Now that I think of it, I've rebuilt it several times....I think I will
just get a whole new faucet.
You know what, I never did like that sink....I'm going to get a whole
new sink AND faucet.

As long as you are going to do that, maybe we should put in a cabinet
below the sink?

After going to Home Depot's website and taking measurements, I return to
the bathroom and look at our worn out 65 year old bathtub and say:
I think the bathtub has priority.

We both agree to having an expert replace it next year...

and I rebuild the faucet one more time.

After note:

I rebuilt the cold water tap, my wife told me it was the "hot" that was
leaking.

So, do you have another kit?

I had a similar situation. Wanted to make the shower easier for my
wife. Five months and $28,000 later both bathrooms are brand new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/19/2018 08:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/19/2018 9:32 AM, philo wrote:

snip

After note:

I rebuilt the cold water tap, my wife told me it was the "hot" that
was leaking.

So, do you have another kit?

I had a similar situation.* Wanted to make the shower easier for my
wife.* Five months and $28,000 later both bathrooms are brand new.

To elaborate, the faucets do not actually drip....just a bit of leakage
around the handle...I have some grease impregnated string that cures the
problem for a year or so. Probably enough to last 20 years.

As to the $28K bathroom....my house only cost $29k so even though that
was 40 years ago could not psychologically spent that kind of money.

FWIW: My wife and I remodeled the kitchen ourselves. We hired a friend
to help us and had a professional do the wallpaper and a professional do
the sink and counter-top.

It looks absolutely wonderful and it cost under $3k.

A couple we know spent $60k for a kitchen remodel and it is the most
generic looking thing I've ever seen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2018 10:06 AM, philo wrote:
On 07/19/2018 08:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/19/2018 9:32 AM, philo wrote:

snip

After note:

I rebuilt the cold water tap, my wife told me it was the "hot" that
was leaking.

So, do you have another kit?

I had a similar situation.* Wanted to make the shower easier for my
wife.* Five months and $28,000 later both bathrooms are brand new.

To elaborate, the faucets do not actually drip....just a bit of leakage
around the handle...I have some grease impregnated string that cures the
problem for a year or so. Probably enough to last 20 years.

As to the $28K bathroom....my house only cost $29k so even though that
was 40 years ago could not psychologically spent that kind of money.

That is about half what I paid for the house. Couple that with some
new windows, new 8' slider, new deck, new boiler, etc I have doubled the
original cost. Right now it is listed for sale at 3 1/2 times original
cost to buy.

FWIW: My wife and I remodeled the kitchen ourselves. We hired a friend
to help us and had a professional do the wallpaper and a professional do
the sink and counter-top.

It looks absolutely wonderful and it cost under $3k.

You got away cheap. Kitchens can be big bucks. If we stayed here that
was the next project.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I just paid the dentist two grand for a new partial which was more than
I paid for my first new car 50 years ago.

Tough for us old guys. We have been here for 45 years but with a couple
of furnaces, several new water heaters, central air, a couple of roofs,
all new windows and sliders and new deck we have put in much more than
the purchase price.

You have to keep houses in repair. Neighbor that died a couple of years
ago didn't and widow got half what houses go for here. A flipper bought
it, took a year to upgrade and probably made $100,000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

The bathroom sink is leaking.

OK I'll rebuild the faucet, I have a kit.
Now that I think of it, I've rebuilt it several times....I think I will
just get a whole new faucet.
You know what, I never did like that sink....I'm going to get a whole
new sink AND faucet.

As long as you are going to do that, maybe we should put in a cabinet
below the sink?

After going to Home Depot's website and taking measurements, I return to
the bathroom and look at our worn out 65 year old bathtub and say:
I think the bathtub has priority.

We both agree to having an expert replace it next year...

and I rebuild the faucet one more time.

After note:

I rebuilt the cold water tap, my wife told me it was the "hot" that was
leaking.

In my experience it's always the hot side...

A typical conversation, once you get started it doesn't end.

Come on; with all you have accomplished don't give up now! ;-)

Are you like me and only have one bath?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/19/2018 10:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

My wife had been "hinting" for years about the kitchen but I did not
realize she was going to pitch in and help!

As to the tub....I removed the old calk and re-did it....gave the tub a
good cleaning too. I figure that 30 year calk should easily be good for
another six months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/19/2018 11:34 AM, Frank wrote:

[...]

So weird having owned a house close to 40 years.

Most of the repairs have been redone.

Still way better than renting.

The house next door was sold six months ago but it needed a ton of work.
Contractors still working on it. I'm sure he is paying as much for the
repairs as he did for the house.

He told me he is deciding whether to live there or flip it.
Unless the contractors are working cheap, I'm not sure if he will make a
profit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/19/2018 02:57 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

[...]

Yes usually the hot but this was the cold leaking

One bathroom in the house...it was built in 1898 and one bathroom was
enough although there is an odd, non-working toilet in the basement.