Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Conversation topic, tool traits you really hate

This isn't a question, more of a starter.

What traits do you find most annoying in your tools?

For me, its ladder walking, that tendency for step ladders to march across
the ground because one leg is sligthly up in the air, so the ladder flexes
putting the other leg in the air. Before you know it the ladder is marching
all over the place with you trying to get off it without tipping it over.

The other one - getting the metal tang of the tape measure stuck between
boards you're measuring. It seems to happen to me about every time I have
the tang high overhead and I end up using a claw hammer to extract the
tang - probably breaking it the next time it happens and I need it most.
I'm just waiting for it to bend, kink, fall off or any number of things that
will cause all my measurements to be off by about 1/4" - rendering it
useless.

I could go on and on about crescent wrench creep

Posted to alt.home.repair

I cannot blame the tools. I am the operator, I am the root cause
of the problems. Age and experience do tend to reduce some
life's tool frustrations.

If I had a nickel for every time I've picked up the end of the
extension cord to change tools and thrown down the extension cord
and held the tool cord I'm finished with . . .

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:19:01 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

I cannot blame the tools. I am the operator, I am the root cause
of the problems. Age and experience do tend to reduce some
life's tool frustrations.

I won't take long to stop hitting that thumb with a hammer..

If I had a nickel for every time I've picked up the end of the
extension cord to change tools and thrown down the extension cord
and held the tool cord I'm finished with . . .

I hate a nail with the head on the wrong end \ :-)

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd have to say I don't like screw drivers that jump out of the
screw slots.

I really didn't like that Wel Bilt electric impact wrench that
broke, two lugs into a front brake job, when I was three hours
drive from home.

I'm not very fond of Dollar Tree screw driver that snap, nor
Walmart screw drivers that spiral on the end.

Wasn't impressed iwth the shiny faced hammer from Harbor Freight
that throws staples across the room when I'm trying to tack a
wire to the ceiling of a cellar. Oh, the waffle faced ripping
hammer doesn't have this problem.

And I wasn't pleased with the T-wrench that I bought for the van.
Has two 13/16 sockets, and no 3/4. Doesn't do a very good job
removing 3/4 lugs.

The propane torch with the leaky valve.

And the list goes on.... and on....

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Initial cut where the guard on the circular saw sticks. Cordless circular
saws run out of battery power long before the cuts are finished. Drill bit
wonders around and missed the target point. Gas weed wacker and chain saw
refuse to start. Wimpy truck not able to take a full pallet of bricks or
pallet of concrete mix. Lawn mower will not vacuum or discharged wet grass
into bag. Laser lines and points useless in the bright sun light. No
practical face shield, ear muff and hard hat combo. Welding helmet too
bright or too dark to see weld in progress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
I cannot blame the tools. I am the operator, I am the root cause of the
problems. Age and experience do tend to reduce some life's tool
frustrations.

If I had a nickel for every time I've picked up the end of the extension
cord to change tools and thrown down the extension cord and held the tool
cord I'm finished with . . .

Oh man I know exactly what you mean there.

Sometimes it can turn into a comic affairs where I drop the extension cord,
so then I drop the new cord and plug the old tool into the extension cord.
Realize my mistake, drop the extension cord, drop the new tool's cord, pick
up the extension .....

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"** Frank **" wrote in message

[...]

That's a sticky point for me, as I wear glasses. It's a real pain in the
ass trying to wear ear muffs, face shield, particle masks all at the same
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
I cannot blame the tools. I am the operator, I am the root cause
of the problems. Age and experience do tend to reduce some
life's tool frustrations.

If I had a nickel for every time I've picked up the end of the
extension cord to change tools and thrown down the extension cord
and held the tool cord I'm finished with . . .

This reminds me of my sister. She bought a new computer desk
and had to disconnect everything to get the computer, monitor,
keyboard, etc. into the desk. She called me to say that
nothing would come on and would I come over to see what was
wrong.

Checked everything out and everything was fine with one
exception. She had the surge protector plugged into itself
instead of the wall outlet.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

No Standards for battery operated power tools.

Voltages have crept up,
having started at 3.0 v, then 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12, 14, 18.......

Every time I've looked for a replacement battery,
it's cheaper to buy a new tool !
I feel bad "tossing" a perfectly good power tool head.

And, of course, no battery will fit any other brand tool.

Grrrrr.......

rj