Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Actual conversation

On 7/19/2018 10:06 AM, philo wrote:
On 07/19/2018 08:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/19/2018 9:32 AM, philo wrote:

snip

After note:

I rebuilt the cold water tap, my wife told me it was the "hot" that
was leaking.

So, do you have another kit?

I had a similar situation.* Wanted to make the shower easier for my
wife.* Five months and $28,000 later both bathrooms are brand new.

To elaborate, the faucets do not actually drip....just a bit of leakage
around the handle...I have some grease impregnated string that cures the
problem for a year or so. Probably enough to last 20 years.

As to the $28K bathroom....my house only cost $29k so even though that
was 40 years ago could not psychologically spent that kind of money.

FWIW: My wife and I remodeled the kitchen ourselves. We hired a friend
to help us and had a professional do the wallpaper and a professional do
the sink and counter-top.

It looks absolutely wonderful and it cost under $3k.

A couple we know spent $60k for a kitchen remodel and it is the most
generic looking thing I've ever seen.

I just paid the dentist two grand for a new partial which was more than
I paid for my first new car 50 years ago.

Tough for us old guys. We have been here for 45 years but with a couple
of furnaces, several new water heaters, central air, a couple of roofs,
all new windows and sliders and new deck we have put in much more than
the purchase price.

You have to keep houses in repair. Neighbor that died a couple of years
ago didn't and widow got half what houses go for here. A flipper bought
it, took a year to upgrade and probably made $100,000.