Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Icemaker connected to water cooler

I just got a new fridge, I really want the ice maker to work, my spouse says
it's not necessary.which means he's not doing it we have galvanized steel
pipes and the last time I messed with the plumbing I broke the pipe. .have 3
huge holes in my garage trying to fix that . .it kept busting...I do have one
of the bottom loaded water coolers can I somehow use that to connect....I do
see the flojet options....it just seems that this does the same thing...and
before we get all crazy on my fridge choice it was on clearance because of a
dent, I didn't ask permission...I'm already in trouble...but I really want the
ice maker as I'm a smoothie junkie please help
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fb
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fd

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 01:14:03 GMT, Jannelle Poole
m wrote:

I just got a new fridge, I really want the ice maker to work, my spouse says
it's not necessary.which means he's not doing it we have galvanized steel
pipes and the last time I messed with the plumbing I broke the pipe. .have 3
huge holes in my garage trying to fix that . .it kept busting...I do have one
of the bottom loaded water coolers can I somehow use that to connect....I do
see the flojet options....it just seems that this does the same thing...and
before we get all crazy on my fridge choice it was on clearance because of a
dent, I didn't ask permission...I'm already in trouble...but I really want the
ice maker as I'm a smoothie junkie please help
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fb
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fd

Can you snake a copper tube over to the sink, maybe through the
cabinets? You should be able to piggyback off the cold water there
without too much trouble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2018 9:14 PM, Jannelle Poole wrote:
[...]

I see a few options.
Get a new spouse
Hire a plumber to run a water line
Somehow hook up your water cooler.

The problem I see is water pressure. I don't know what your model has,
but most just use gravity for the water to flow. You need some minimal
amount of pressure to the fridge. If the Flojet can keep the line
pressured when the fridge calls for water, that can work. You'd need a
relay to turnit on when the valve on the fridge opens. Talk to a good
applianc repair guy.

Personally, I would not want to live without a water dispenser and ice
in the fridge. We use a lot of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 9:37:23 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Apparently the Flojet is there to provide the pressure. It's designed to work with one of those big spring water bottles and pump it to a sink dispenser, fridge, etc. It keeps the outgoing side at preddure. So if she has a water cooler I think it should work as long as they can connect the suction side of the new Flojet to the piping inside the water cooler and have AC power available. The plus would be using good bottled water for the ice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 02:47:12 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sun 08 Jul 2018 06:14:03p, Jannelle Poole told us...

I just got a new fridge, I really want the ice maker to work, my
spouse says it's not necessary.which means he's not doing it we
have galvanized steel pipes and the last time I messed with the
plumbing I broke the pipe. .have 3 huge holes in my garage trying
to fix that . .it kept busting...I do have one of the bottom
loaded water coolers can I somehow use that to connect....I do see
the flojet options....it just seems that this does the same
thing...and before we get all crazy on my fridge choice it was on
clearance because of a dent, I didn't ask permission...I'm already
in trouble...but I really want the ice maker as I'm a smoothie
junkie please help https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fb
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fd

Adapting some contraption like that is most likely going to be a
total disappointment. Generally speaking, except for portable ice
makers that have self contained tanks, are meant to operate on
household water pressure. The solenoid valve that controls the water
flow to the ice maker is dependent on that pressure. A good example
of failure is when most reverse osmosis filters are mounted under the
sink and feed both a spout on the sink as well as a line to the ice
maker. RO filters typically produce a fairly low pressure slow flow
and that prevents the solenoid from sensing the necessary pressure to
activate.

If I were you I would abandon all of these workarounds, bite the
bullet and "T" with a shutoff vale to a main line. You should never
have a problem after that. Yes, it's bit of effort but it will pay
off and avoid disapointments.

My ice maker has been running off an R/O for 34 years with no
problems. The R/O typically puts out 20-30 PSI tho and when the tank
is completely full it is closer to full water pressure that is 30-50
from the well pump. You may need to adjust the fill time tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 02:59:24 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sun 08 Jul 2018 06:37:22p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

[...]

I don't mind not having a water dispenser. When I did have one I
rarely used it. However, an ice maker is essential as we use a ton
of ice. Whem we have more than 4 people here I stockpile several
extra containers full of ice and put in our 2nd freezer.

We have 2 fridges with ice makers. That tends to give us all we need.