Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Stuck Shower Handle

I have a Grohe shower unit installed by a previous owner.
I want to inspect so I can get a replacement cartridge.
I don't know the model number.
There are 2 handles which need to be removed: the bottom controls the
temperature [came off easily - minor lime deposits visible on the
inside] and a smaller top knob which toggles water flow from the main
shower head to a hand-held unit.
I removed the only set screw but the smaller handle won't slide off.
I assume it has a nice lime buildup on the stem.
I don't want to brute force as Grohe parts are expensive.
The handle is positioned so soaking with CLR would require great cleverness.
Any suggestions on how to safely remove the handle?
Thank you.

John Keiser

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2018 10:47 PM, John Keiser wrote:
I have a Grohe shower unit installed by a previous owner.
I want to inspect so I can get a replacement cartridge.
I don't know the model number.
There are 2 handles which need to be removed: the bottom controls the
temperature [came off easily - minor lime deposits visible on the
inside] and a smaller top knob which toggles water flow from the main
shower head to a hand-held unit.
I removed the only set screw but the smaller handle won't slide off.
I assume it has a nice lime buildup on the stem.
I don't want to brute force as Grohe parts are expensive.
The handle is positioned so soaking with CLR would require great
cleverness.
Any suggestions on how to safely remove the handle?
Thank you.

John Keiser

I vote for cleverness. Is it possible to hang a plastic bag filled with
clr and tape it in place? I don't know if WD-40 would help, but it
won't hurt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 May 2018 16:47:11 -1000, John Keiser
wrote:

I have a Grohe shower unit installed by a previous owner.
I want to inspect so I can get a replacement cartridge.
I don't know the model number.
There are 2 handles which need to be removed: the bottom controls the
temperature [came off easily - minor lime deposits visible on the
inside] and a smaller top knob which toggles water flow from the main
shower head to a hand-held unit.
I removed the only set screw but the smaller handle won't slide off.
I assume it has a nice lime buildup on the stem.
I don't want to brute force as Grohe parts are expensive.
The handle is positioned so soaking with CLR would require great cleverness.
Any suggestions on how to safely remove the handle?
Thank you.

John Keiser

Some thoughts:

Mist the CLR with a bottle sprayer give it time and try vibration by
lightly tapping with a screwdriver handle. Repeat numerous times if
needed.

Ensure the part is not screwed / threaded on.

Try some spray penetrating oil to free the part.

If it is possible, use plumber's putty, make a dam to hold liquids.
Can't see your situation.

Try a rubber strap wrench to break the part loose.

Post a photo on a free hosting sight with a URL posted back in AHR.

UMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem though with a different brand.

They make a puller like a gear puller but it didn't budge it.

I sprayed with WD-40, tapped, repeated over several days, eventually it let go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2018 4:47 PM, John Keiser wrote:
I have a Grohe shower unit installed by a previous owner.
I want to inspect so I can get a replacement cartridge.
I don't know the model number.
There are 2 handles which need to be removed: the bottom controls the
temperature [came off easily - minor lime deposits visible on the
inside] and a smaller top knob which toggles water flow from the main
shower head to a hand-held unit.
I removed the only set screw but the smaller handle won't slide off.
I assume it has a nice lime buildup on the stem.
I don't want to brute force as Grohe parts are expensive.
The handle is positioned so soaking with CLR would require great
cleverness.
Any suggestions on how to safely remove the handle?
Thank you.

John Keiser

---

Patience + CLR worked.
I usually am not very patient but it was necessary for this.
I added a bit of white grease on reassembly so next time might not be
such a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2018 5:32 PM, John Keiser wrote:
On 5/29/2018 4:47 PM, John Keiser wrote:
I have a Grohe shower unit installed by a previous owner.
I want to inspect so I can get a replacement cartridge.

[snip]

John Keiser

---

Patience + CLR worked.
I usually am not very patient but it was necessary for this.
I added a bit of white grease on reassembly so next time might not be
such a problem.

Try some Lock-tite or Permatex anti-seize compound/lubricant. Great
staying power in wet conditions, prevents corrosion, etc.

A little dab will do you - just don't use it on your hair!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/18 6:32 PM, John Keiser wrote:
Patience + CLR worked.

I have an old bathroom with a couple of handles that I need
to remove, but with the same problem.

Pardon my ignornance, but what is "CLR" ??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2018 9:07 PM, J.Albert wrote:
On 5/30/18 6:32 PM, John Keiser wrote:
Patience + CLR worked.

I have an old bathroom with a couple of handles that I need to remove,
but with the same problem.

Pardon my ignornance, but what is "CLR" ??

https://clrbrands.com/Products/CLR-Household/CLR-Bath-Kitchen-Cleaner
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:07:07 PM UTC-4, J.Albert wrote:
On 5/30/18 6:32 PM, John Keiser wrote:
Patience + CLR worked.

I have an old bathroom with a couple of handles that I need
to remove, but with the same problem.

Pardon my ignornance, but what is "CLR" ??

A product that has mild acid to dissolve mineral deposits. You can find
it at HD, hardware store, maybe supermarkets too. Typically evaporating
water leaves minerals behind that wind up binding the handle. It can
also be corrosion. CLR is certainly worth a try and looks like it worked
here.