Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing a shower head/fixture that is stuck

I have a shaving mirror that threads to the shower pipe like a shower
head. The shower head then threads onto the shaving mirror assembly.

this pic makes things clear
http://picasaweb.google.com/techman4...28747566020722

Recently the whole mirror assembly started leaking water in different
locations. I would like to remove it. The problem is that is stuck.
I tried different wrenches and even some WD40. It wont come off. I
don't want to apply too much force, as I may damage the shower pipe
itself.
Is there anything else I can try?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

this pic makes things clearhttp://picasaweb.google.com/techman41973/UntitledAlbum#53254287475660...

Recently the whole mirror assembly started leaking water in different
locations. I would like to remove it. The problem is that is stuck.
I tried different wrenches and even some WD40. It wont come off. I
don't want to apply too much force, as I may damage the shower pipe
itself.
Is there anything else I can try?
Thanks

Maybe put a rag around the arm, and grip it with a pair of channellock
pliers? Then you may be able to get a second wrench around the head
threads. If the arm does move, you may want to take it out anyway to
re-seal the threads inside the wall. Or just get a new arm. They're
pretty cheap. Piece of cake. HTH. Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:20:35 -0700 (PDT), tom
wrote:

On Apr 16, 4:08 pm, techman41973 wrote:
I have a shaving mirror that threads to the shower pipe like a shower
head. The shower head then threads onto the shaving mirror assembly.

this pic makes things clear

Link fixed: (must be google)

http://picasaweb.google.com/techman4...53254287475660

Recently the whole mirror assembly started leaking water in different
locations. I would like to remove it. The problem is that is stuck.
I tried different wrenches and even some WD40. It wont come off. I
don't want to apply too much force, as I may damage the shower pipe
itself.
Is there anything else I can try?
Thanks

Maybe put a rag around the arm, and grip it with a pair of channellock
pliers? Then you may be able to get a second wrench around the head
threads. If the arm does move, you may want to take it out anyway to
re-seal the threads inside the wall. Or just get a new arm. They're
pretty cheap. Piece of cake. HTH. Tom

I stopped using rags years ago. For bath fixtures, using channel
locks I prefer a strap of leather. Even a strip of rubber from an
inner-tube. There is also the option for a strap wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Apr 16, 5:08 pm, Oren wrote:
I stopped using rags years ago. For bath fixtures, using channel
locks I prefer a strap of leather. Even a strip of rubber from an
inner-tube. There is also the option for a strap wrench.

Good thinking. Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

techman41973 wrote:
I have a shaving mirror that threads to the shower pipe like a shower
head. The shower head then threads onto the shaving mirror assembly.

this pic makes things clear
http://picasaweb.google.com/techman4...28747566020722

Recently the whole mirror assembly started leaking water in different
locations. I would like to remove it. The problem is that is stuck.
I tried different wrenches and even some WD40. It wont come off. I
don't want to apply too much force, as I may damage the shower pipe
itself.
Is there anything else I can try?
Thanks

Slather the thing with substances specially made for loosening stuck pipes.

Hint: When replacing a threaded device, snug it up, then back off a
quarter-turn. This makes it easier to remove in the future. You may be able
to tighten the device that slack 1/4 turn to break the corroded weld.