Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing shower head

I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. I have never done this
before. Do I need to turn off the water supply? I'm assuming that the
shower head just unscrews. Will I need to put some teflon tape over the
threads before I screw it back on? I can see that there is some on the
threads now. The problem is there is reduced pressure to the showerhead
for a while and then after a couple of months, the pressure is good for a
while then back down again. I'm assuming there is some debris in there that
moves around. Main thing I need to know is whether to turn the water supply
off first. The showerhead is 7 years old and worked great until the last
few months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have the water shut off with the shower control valve (like you do when
you're finished with your shower), and of course no water is coming out of
the shower head.
Removing the shower head at this point shouldn't require any additional
shutting of valves.
Maybe I'm missing something or I didn't understand the question.

"Gloria" wrote in message
.. .
I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. I have never done
this before. Do I need to turn off the water supply? I'm assuming that
the shower head just unscrews. Will I need to put some teflon tape over
the threads before I screw it back on? I can see that there is some on the
threads now. The problem is there is reduced pressure to the showerhead
for a while and then after a couple of months, the pressure is good for a
while then back down again. I'm assuming there is some debris in there
that moves around. Main thing I need to know is whether to turn the water
supply off first. The showerhead is 7 years old and worked great until the
last few months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gloria wrote:
I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. I have never done this
before. Do I need to turn off the water supply? I'm assuming that the
shower head just unscrews. Will I need to put some teflon tape over the
threads before I screw it back on? I can see that there is some on the
threads now. The problem is there is reduced pressure to the showerhead
for a while and then after a couple of months, the pressure is good for a
while then back down again. I'm assuming there is some debris in there that
moves around. Main thing I need to know is whether to turn the water supply
off first. The showerhead is 7 years old and worked great until the last
few months.

No.
Just turn off the shower at the faucet.
Yes to Teflon tape, but if you are putting same head back on try it
without new tape. New shower heads often come with some tape.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Gloria wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much. I thought that'd be ok, but I didn't want to flood the house
or anything. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

Gloria

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 01:01:59 GMT, Gloria wrote:
I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. I have never done this
before. Do I need to turn off the water supply? I'm assuming that the

If you have to ask then you shouldn't do the job yourself.

You'd probably turn the head the wrong way, strip it, and then end
up having to pay a plumber $800 instead of $70 in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 01:01:59 GMT, Gloria wrote:
I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. I have never done this
before. Do I need to turn off the water supply? I'm assuming that the

If you have to ask then you shouldn't do the job yourself.

You'd probably turn the head the wrong way, strip it, and then end
up having to pay a plumber $800 instead of $70 in the first place.

Hopefully you are wrong:-))
The fact that she asked makes me think she will not strip it.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 3:59*am, LouB wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 01:01:59 GMT, Gloria wrote:
I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. *I have never done this
before. *Do I need to turn off the water supply? *I'm assuming that the

If you have to ask then you shouldn't do the job yourself.

You'd probably turn the head the wrong way, strip it, and then end
up having to pay a plumber $800 instead of $70 in the first place.

Hopefully you are wrong:-))
The fact that she asked makes me think she will not strip it.
Lou

One danger is that in trying to unscrew the shower head itself, there
is some chance of unscrewing where, inside the wall, the other end of
the (usually a short section of chromed pipe etc) screws into a
fitting. And then later, and being hidden that may leak (inside the
wall)? So two wrenches may be needed; one to hold that pipe so it does
NOT turn (and take the strain, as t were) and something else to turn
(unscrew) the shower head.

However before assuming it IS the shower head! Another cause could be
that a washer or something else inside the mixer valve that supplies
the not-cold water mix has become defective. There may be debris
inside the shower head or pipe or maybe not.

It is for that reason we have never installed a shower mixer control
on our bath tubs; preferring the much simpler approach of separate hot
and cold valves. Others say mixer valves work well for many years so
in this case it may be nothing to do with the shower mixer temperature
control valve. But might be best to check first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gloria" wrote

I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. I have never done
this before. Do I need to turn off the water supply? I'm assuming that
the

Just the part outside that controls it. May drip a little on you from the
trapped water but nothing more.

shower head just unscrews. Will I need to put some teflon tape over the
threads before I screw it back on? I can see that there is some on the

Proabably wont need new tape.

threads now. The problem is there is reduced pressure to the showerhead
for a while and then after a couple of months, the pressure is good for a
while then back down again. I'm assuming there is some debris in there
that moves around. Main thing I need to know is whether to turn the water
supply off first. The showerhead is 7 years old and worked great until
the last few months.

Juat be careful to hold the arm piece that goes into the wall well so you
dont accidently unscrew it any. If you do, you'll probably need help
getting that fixed and have a leak inside the wall until then.

Could be you just have a degrading washer in there so you'll be able to see
that, lift it out, and get a matching one at a local store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gloria wrote:
I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. I have never
done this before. Do I need to turn off the water supply? I'm
assuming that the shower head just unscrews. Will I need to put some
teflon tape over the threads before I screw it back on? I can see
that there is some on the threads now. The problem is there is
reduced pressure to the showerhead for a while and then after a
couple of months, the pressure is good for a while then back down
again. I'm assuming there is some debris in there that moves around.
Main thing I need to know is whether to turn the water supply off
first. The showerhead is 7 years old and worked great until the last
few months.

You might try this first:

1. Take a 2-quart (or so) plastic (ziploc) bag and fill it with vinegar.
2. Use duct tape to immerse the shower head in the bag (or bucket) of
vinegar.
3. Let the thing percolate for a few hours.
4. Remove bag.

The weak acid vinegar will dissolve a lot of the crud in the shower head. It
may even dissolve enough so that everything returns to normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2009 5:51 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Gloria wrote:

[...]

I nominate HeyBub's reply for "Best in Thread". Addresses the problem
and proposes a good solution.

And by the way, as someone else noted above, no need to shut off
anything except the shower valve: then no water will come out of the
shower head, right?

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. I have never done this
before. Do I need to turn off the water supply?

No.

I'm assuming that the
shower head just unscrews. Will I need to put some teflon tape over the
threads before I screw it back on?

Yes.

I can see that there is some on the
threads now. The problem is there is reduced pressure to the showerhead
for a while and then after a couple of months, the pressure is good for a
while then back down again. I'm assuming there is some debris in there that
moves around. Main thing I need to know is whether to turn the water supply
off first. The showerhead is 7 years old and worked great until the last
few months.

Put a baggie over the showerhead, fill with vinegar, tie, soak
overnight.