Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing shower head

On 3/7/2009 5:51 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Gloria wrote:

I need to remove the shower head on a delta monitor. I have never
done this before. Do I need to turn off the water supply? I'm
assuming that the shower head just unscrews. Will I need to put some
teflon tape over the threads before I screw it back on? I can see
that there is some on the threads now. The problem is there is
reduced pressure to the showerhead for a while and then after a
couple of months, the pressure is good for a while then back down
again. I'm assuming there is some debris in there that moves around.
Main thing I need to know is whether to turn the water supply off
first. The showerhead is 7 years old and worked great until the last
few months.

You might try this first:

1. Take a 2-quart (or so) plastic (ziploc) bag and fill it with
vinegar.
2. Use duct tape to immerse the shower head in the bag (or bucket) of
vinegar.
3. Let the thing percolate for a few hours.
4. Remove bag.

The weak acid vinegar will dissolve a lot of the crud in the shower
head. It may even dissolve enough so that everything returns to
normal.

I nominate HeyBub's reply for "Best in Thread". Addresses the problem
and proposes a good solution.

And by the way, as someone else noted above, no need to shut off
anything except the shower valve: then no water will come out of the
shower head, right?

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)