Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preparing 25 year old Cedar Shake Shingles for Painting?

The cedar shake shingles are now various shades of black and better half suggests we paint. Should
we power wash before painting? I am thinking that if I have shingles power washed, the original
color will be restored and maybe I won't have to have shingles repainted :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2018 at 4:29:59 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

The cedar shake shingles are now various shades of black and better
half suggests we paint. Should we power wash before painting? I am
thinking that if I have shingles power washed, the original color
will be restored and maybe I won't have to have shingles repainted :-)

Take a look at this article:

How To: Care for Cedar Shingles

The Craftsman Blog https://wp.me/p26RBT-2G7
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 7:30:03 AM UTC-4, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
The cedar shake shingles are now various shades of black and better half suggests we paint. Should
we power wash before painting? I am thinking that if I have shingles power washed, the original
color will be restored and maybe I won't have to have shingles repainted :-)

You would have to clean them one way or another before painting, so a
power washer used correctly would seem to me to be the way to go, but
I'm sure there is plenty of info available online. Including, whether
it's advisable to paint shingles that are that old that have never been
painted and what else might be involved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 7:30:03 AM UTC-4, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
The cedar shake shingles are now various shades of black and better half suggests we paint. Should
we power wash before painting? I am thinking that if I have shingles power washed, the original
color will be restored and maybe I won't have to have shingles repainted :-)

You would have to clean them one way or another before painting, so a
power washer used correctly would seem to me to be the way to go, but
I'm sure there is plenty of info available online. Including, whether
it's advisable to paint shingles that are that old that have never been
painted and what else might be involved.

You are very right. Lots of good stuff on Google. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2018 4:29 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
The cedar shake shingles are now various shades of black and better half suggests we paint. Should
we power wash before painting? I am thinking that if I have shingles power washed, the original
color will be restored and maybe I won't have to have shingles repainted :-)

Shingle oil
http://www.matweb.com/search/datashe...4a2 e346ee048

Posted to alt.home.repair

Arnie Goetchius wrote:

The cedar shake shingles are now various shades of black and better half suggests we paint. Should
we power wash before painting? I am thinking that if I have shingles power washed, the original
color will be restored and maybe I won't have to have shingles repainted :-)

Definitely clean anything on the outside of your house before
painting. Power washing can restore the original color depending
on the condition of the shingles and the pressure used. You might
have to replace some shingles though.

Rather than paint them, using a stain is a better option. If you
want solid color like a paint, consider a solid stain. You can
get advice/opinions from a local paint store. A real paint store,
not a store that happens to sell paint.

The paint manufacturers that work with paint stores have local
reps that can look at your house and give recommendations. Those
are usually free advice as they just want to sell you their
product.

Hope that helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote:

The cedar shake shingles are now various shades of black and better half suggests we paint. Should
we power wash before painting? I am thinking that if I have shingles power washed, the original
color will be restored and maybe I won't have to have shingles repainted :-)

Definitely clean anything on the outside of your house before
painting. Power washing can restore the original color depending
on the condition of the shingles and the pressure used. You might
have to replace some shingles though.

Ok, I already have to replace some sol a few more won't hurt.

Rather than paint them, using a stain is a better option. If you
want solid color like a paint, consider a solid stain. You can
get advice/opinions from a local paint store. A real paint store,
not a store that happens to sell paint.

Had not thought about stain. Will look to see if they have any colors that my wife can live with. --
"happy wife makes a happy life" :-)

The paint manufacturers that work with paint stores have local
reps that can look at your house and give recommendations. Those
are usually free advice as they just want to sell you their
product.

Hope that helps.

Good tips. Definitely helps. Many thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 3:55:49 PM UTC-4, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Gary wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote:

[...]

You can get a solid stain in any custom color you want. I recommend
Benjamin Moore, I used it a couple years ago on my house. And I agree
that I'd go with solid stain instead of paint. It doesn't form as much
of a film like paint does and is more resistant to peeling.

The paint manufacturers that work with paint stores have local
reps that can look at your house and give recommendations. Those
are usually free advice as they just want to sell you their
product.

Hope that helps.

Good tips. Definitely helps. Many thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion. I did not realize that you can get a custom stain color just as you do
with paint.

The paint manufacturers that work with paint stores have local
reps that can look at your house and give recommendations. Those
are usually free advice as they just want to sell you their
product.

Hope that helps.

Good tips. Definitely helps. Many thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dove Tail" wrote in message news
On 5/18/2018 at 4:29:59 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

The cedar shake shingles are now various shades of black and better
half suggests we paint. Should we power wash before painting? I am
thinking that if I have shingles power washed, the original color
will be restored and maybe I won't have to have shingles repainted :-)

Take a look at this article:

How To: Care for Cedar Shingles

The Craftsman Blog https://wp.me/p26RBT-2G7

Not connecting for me. Can you post the real url?