Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to store old ceder shake roof shingles?

We just had our cedar shake roof replaced with 40 yr composite. So we
have a large amount of old cedar shingles for our fireplace. Right now
they are in an unsightly pile on the side of the house. We have limited
covered space under the deck but it is bare dirt floor. Also I have a
tool shed where I store the mower and other yard tools. I could move
those into the garage temporarily. We live in the rainy NW so it would
be important to keep the shingles covered. Also I am concerned the old
shingles will attract insects and critters. Thanks for any advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rubbermaid makes a lot of free standing sheds that are suitable for
setting adjacent to your house or existing shed, If ~$200 doesn't sound
too bad then it could work nicely.

Empress2454 #124457

Games that I like to play

tenplay wrote:
We just had our cedar shake roof replaced with 40 yr composite. So we
have a large amount of old cedar shingles for our fireplace. Right now
they are in an unsightly pile on the side of the house. We have limited
covered space under the deck but it is bare dirt floor. Also I have a
tool shed where I store the mower and other yard tools. I could move
those into the garage temporarily. We live in the rainy NW so it would
be important to keep the shingles covered. Also I am concerned the old
shingles will attract insects and critters. Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tenplay" wrote in message

We just had our cedar shake roof replaced with 40 yr composite. So we
have a large amount of old cedar shingles for our fireplace. Right now
they are in an unsightly pile on the side of the house. We have limited
covered space under the deck but it is bare dirt floor.

If you have access, lay old pallets in the crawlspace.
You can then stack the shingles off the ground. The
pallets will rot in some years, by which time you may
have burned the shingles. (You may find cedar burns
undesirably hot and quickly.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:
We just had our cedar shake roof replaced with 40 yr composite. So we
have a large amount of old cedar shingles for our fireplace. Right now
they are in an unsightly pile on the side of the house. We have limited
covered space under the deck but it is bare dirt floor. Also I have a
tool shed where I store the mower and other yard tools. I could move
those into the garage temporarily. We live in the rainy NW so it would
be important to keep the shingles covered. Also I am concerned the old
shingles will attract insects and critters. Thanks for any advice.

As Don says, cedar shakes/shingles make very poor and very dangerous
wood for fireplaces, not much better in an airtight stove. If you are
determined to get rid of them that way, store on pallets out of the way
and cover the top with tarps, plastic or similar. Under the deck will
work by stacking on pallets as someone else said.

Harry K

How to lift packages of shingles up to roof??? Ron M. Home Repair 38 May 30th 18 05:24 PM
Felt roof shingles Paul Boakes UK diy 3 September 26th 05 03:05 PM
Roof Slope & Asphalt Shingles CWLee Home Repair 5 May 12th 05 11:08 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee Gunner Metalworking 562 January 6th 04 07:04 AM