Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pre weathering eastern white cedar shake siding shingles

I sided my house almost 20 years ago with eastern white cedar - extra.
Now I have to replace about a dozen shingles in various locations. Of
course the existing shingles are now gray but the replacements would be
white. I don't want to stain the replacements, just speed up the
weathering process.

In Googling for Weathered Cedar shakes, I have come up with a couple of
posts that say to mix 1 lb of baking soda in a gallon of water and paint
the solution on the shingle. Let dry in the sun and then repeat until
you get the desired weathered affect.

Has anyone tried this? If so, how many repetitions does it take to get
the weathered look?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 7:31*pm, NJOracle wrote:
I sided my house almost 20 years ago with eastern white cedar - extra.
Now I have to replace about a dozen shingles in various locations. Of
course the existing shingles are now gray but the replacements would be
white. I don't want to stain the replacements, just speed up the
weathering process.

In Googling for Weathered Cedar shakes, I have come up with a couple of
posts that say to mix 1 lb of baking soda in a gallon of water and paint
the solution on the shingle. Let dry in the sun and then repeat until
you get the desired weathered affect.

Has anyone tried this? If so, how many repetitions does it take to get
the weathered look?

Did you try to contact the authors of those posts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am now faced with re-shingling a barn but not all sides. Looking to weather the shingles so it will blend better. Did you try the baking soda method and did it work? I was wondering if Vinegar would work as well.