Posted to alt.home.repair

Default buckling cedar shake siding

I just installed 2,000 worth of cedar shake siding, and didn't leave
enough spacing. I glued it down to tar paper with Vulkem and used
Penofin Red Label to seal it up, and now after 2 weeks of constant
Portland rain, it is beginning to buckle at the seams. The guys at
Lakeside Lumber want me to plop another 2 grand down and start all
over, but surely there is another way... Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Martin wrote:
I just installed 2,000 worth of cedar shake siding, and didn't leave
enough spacing. I glued it down to tar paper with Vulkem and used
Penofin Red Label to seal it up, and now after 2 weeks of constant
Portland rain, it is beginning to buckle at the seams. The guys at
Lakeside Lumber want me to plop another 2 grand down and start all
over, but surely there is another way... Any suggestions?

yeah, that is why you leave gaps between cedar shakes! how much
buckling? how wide is the exposure and how long are the shakes? if
it is just a few spots, you could maybe pull off selected shakes and
replace. if it is widespread I think you are screwed.

kinda curious about gluing it to tar paper with Vulkem. What is that
about?

Posted to alt.home.repair

marson wrote:
Dave Martin wrote:
I just installed 2,000 worth of cedar shake siding, and didn't leave
enough spacing. I glued it down to tar paper with Vulkem and used
Penofin Red Label to seal it up, and now after 2 weeks of constant
Portland rain, it is beginning to buckle at the seams. The guys at
Lakeside Lumber want me to plop another 2 grand down and start all
over, but surely there is another way... Any suggestions?

yeah, that is why you leave gaps between cedar shakes! how much
buckling? how wide is the exposure and how long are the shakes? if
it is just a few spots, you could maybe pull off selected shakes and
replace. if it is widespread I think you are screwed.

kinda curious about gluing it to tar paper with Vulkem. What is that
about?

umm, either a very sharp knife and trim each shake a little ( * cough *
) or
if they are just glued to tarpaper how hard can it be to just pull them
off and start over .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Martin wrote:
I just installed 2,000 worth of cedar shake siding, and didn't leave
enough spacing. I glued it down to tar paper with Vulkem and used
Penofin Red Label to seal it up, and now after 2 weeks of constant
Portland rain, it is beginning to buckle at the seams. The guys at
Lakeside Lumber want me to plop another 2 grand down and start all
over, but surely there is another way... Any suggestions?

Where in the world did you ever get the idea to glue cedar to tar
paper? I've never heard of such a thing. It can't and won't last. If
you didn't leave enough space between the shakes, I don't see any
alternative to a complete tearoff and doing it right. Sorry.

Check out http://www.cedarbureau.org for the correct installation
methods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Martin wrote:
I just installed 2,000 worth of cedar shake siding, and didn't leave
enough spacing. I glued it down to tar paper with Vulkem and used
Penofin Red Label to seal it up, and now after 2 weeks of constant
Portland rain, it is beginning to buckle at the seams. The guys at
Lakeside Lumber want me to plop another 2 grand down and start all
over, but surely there is another way... Any suggestions?

Hi,
Have you done it? Big time learning. To be proper. Re do it.

Cedar siding constantin Home Repair 1 October 25th 06 02:37 AM
CEDAR SIDING Jon S. Home Repair 6 March 20th 06 02:19 PM
Cedar Shake Shingle Siding Installation question joe Home Repair 1 February 20th 06 01:18 AM
Cedar Shake Shingle Siding Installation question??? joe Home Ownership 0 February 20th 06 01:06 AM
composition roofing versus cedar shake? peter Home Repair 11 April 12th 05 06:55 PM