Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary[_14_] Gary[_14_] is offline

Default Preparing 25 year old Cedar Shake Shingles for Painting?

Arnie Goetchius wrote:

The cedar shake shingles are now various shades of black and better half suggests we paint. Should
we power wash before painting? I am thinking that if I have shingles power washed, the original
color will be restored and maybe I won't have to have shingles repainted :-)

Definitely clean anything on the outside of your house before
painting. Power washing can restore the original color depending
on the condition of the shingles and the pressure used. You might
have to replace some shingles though.

Rather than paint them, using a stain is a better option. If you
want solid color like a paint, consider a solid stain. You can
get advice/opinions from a local paint store. A real paint store,
not a store that happens to sell paint.

The paint manufacturers that work with paint stores have local
reps that can look at your house and give recommendations. Those
are usually free advice as they just want to sell you their
product.

Hope that helps.