Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Above ground pool Pump

How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you recommend a
reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground pool?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...p-1166560-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Beinme1968 wrote:
How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you
recommend a reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground
pool?

You have your pump and filter confused. The pump pumps water to the filter,
the pump doesn't filter.
Hayward pump and filter

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2018 1:29 PM, ChairMan wrote:
Beinme1968 wrote:
How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you
recommend a reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground
pool?

You have your pump and filter confused. The pump pumps water to the filter,
the pump doesn't filter.
Hayward pump and filter

Many small pools have a single unit containing both pump and filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Beinme1968 wrote:
How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you
recommend a reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground
pool?

You have your pump and filter confused. The pump pumps water to the
filter, the pump doesn't filter.
Hayward pump and filter

Many small pools have a single unit containing both pump and filter.

Maybe small ones, but a 10,000 will be about at least a 21'

Posted to alt.home.repair

Beinme1968 wrote:
How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you
recommend a reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground
pool?

You have your pump and filter confused. The pump pumps water to the filter,
the pump doesn't filter.
Hayward pump and filter

Many small pools have a single unit containing both pump and filter.

Crack Head, how does that solve the original question.

....filter to sand.

I'll be here for awhile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 2:44:11 PM UTC-5, Beinme1968 wrote:
How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you recommend a
reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground pool?
--

Have you asked someone at a company that sells and maintains swimming pool equipment? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 May 2018 19:44:07 GMT, Beinme1968
m wrote:

How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you recommend a
reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground pool?

You are just looking for a regular pool pump. These days the local
energy code might require that to be 2 speed. I have had pretty good
luck with the Hayward 3/4HP 2 speed but StaRite works OK too.
They are all repairable. The biggest thing you can do to make it last
longer is to build a dog house around it and keep it out of the
weather. Use quick disconnect couplings on the water lines and take it
inside in winter. It will last for decades that way.
Make sure this is on a GFCI.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you recommend a
reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground pool?

You are just looking for a regular pool pump. These days the local
energy code might require that to be 2 speed. I have had pretty good
luck with the Hayward 3/4HP 2 speed but StaRite works OK too.
They are all repairable. The biggest thing you can do to make it last
longer is to build a dog house around it and keep it out of the
weather. Use quick disconnect couplings on the water lines and take it
inside in winter. It will last for decades that way.
Make sure this is on a GFCI.

Might look into a DE filter too. They do a better job filtering, idk if they have them sized to above ground pools though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you recommend a
reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground pool?

You are just looking for a regular pool pump. These days the local
energy code might require that to be 2 speed. I have had pretty good
luck with the Hayward 3/4HP 2 speed but StaRite works OK too.
They are all repairable. The biggest thing you can do to make it last
longer is to build a dog house around it and keep it out of the
weather. Use quick disconnect couplings on the water lines and take it
inside in winter. It will last for decades that way.
Make sure this is on a GFCI.

Might look into a DE filter too. They do a better job filtering, idk if they have them sized to above ground pools though.

DE can be a problem if you don't have a place to get rid of it. A lot
of utilities do not want it in the waste water. For a small pool a
paper cartridge works about as good as anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Beinme1968 wrote:
How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you
recommend a reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground
pool?

You have your pump and filter confused. The pump pumps water to the filter,
the pump doesn't filter.
Hayward pump and filter

Many small pools have a single unit containing both pump and filter.

Crack Head, how does that solve the original question.

...filter to sand.

I'll be here for awhile.

Must be heavy **** you are on. I was not responding to the OP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you recommend a
reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground pool?

You are just looking for a regular pool pump. These days the local
energy code might require that to be 2 speed. I have had pretty good
luck with the Hayward 3/4HP 2 speed but StaRite works OK too.
They are all repairable. The biggest thing you can do to make it last
longer is to build a dog house around it and keep it out of the
weather. Use quick disconnect couplings on the water lines and take it
inside in winter. It will last for decades that way.
Make sure this is on a GFCI.

Might look into a DE filter too. They do a better job filtering, idk if they have them sized to above ground pools though.

DE can be a problem if you don't have a place to get rid of it.

The lawn works for me.

A lot
of utilities do not want it in the waste water.

I wonder what the big issue is? Crazy fear that someone is going
to get lung cancer from the fine dust when it's in water and mixed
with sewage and crap that will quickly bind it up?

For a small pool a
paper cartridge works about as good as anything.

I have no experience with above ground pools, only spas and inground pools,
but that sounds reasonable. But the poster said he wanted to switch to
sand. I don't see sand being used here for new installs, at least not for
inground. If we had more info maybe we'd learn what the issues/problems
are. Somebody said that with inground the pump and filter can be one unit,
which also could make sense related to the question regarding changing
the pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Dunno but over 50 years ago when I was running a commercial pool they
came out and told us not to. We did it anyway.

For a small pool a
paper cartridge works about as good as anything.

I have no experience with above ground pools, only spas and inground pools,
but that sounds reasonable. But the poster said he wanted to switch to
sand. I don't see sand being used here for new installs, at least not for
inground. If we had more info maybe we'd learn what the issues/problems
are. Somebody said that with inground the pump and filter can be one unit,
which also could make sense related to the question regarding changing
the pump.

The ones I have seen are a combination skimmer, filter, pump. The pump
is tiny.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

I've seen people here years ago flipping out, worrying about DE because
they see the warnings on the bags, which is essentially that it's very
fine powder, so like most of those dusts, breathing it can be harmful. But
that's when it's dry and in the air. When I pump it out on the lawn,
it just disappears into the grass and soil. Any small amounts wind up
caked up, mixed up with crap from the filter, etc, not going anywhere.
In fact DE is also sold as a soil improvement product. If you had to
backwash and contain the DE, IDK what you'd do, it would seem to be a
big problem. What do you do? Get a filter to filter the filter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you recommend a
reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground pool?

You are just looking for a regular pool pump. These days the local
energy code might require that to be 2 speed. I have had pretty good
luck with the Hayward 3/4HP 2 speed but StaRite works OK too.
They are all repairable. The biggest thing you can do to make it last
longer is to build a dog house around it and keep it out of the
weather. Use quick disconnect couplings on the water lines and take it
inside in winter. It will last for decades that way.
Make sure this is on a GFCI.

Might look into a DE filter too. They do a better job filtering, idk if they have them sized to above ground pools though.

Sure do! My parents had a 21' above ground and ours was, IIRC, 18'x36'
and we both had the DE filter system. Worked great. Next door neighbor
has a sand filter and, meh, not so great!

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you recommend a
reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground pool?

You are just looking for a regular pool pump. These days the local
energy code might require that to be 2 speed. I have had pretty good
luck with the Hayward 3/4HP 2 speed but StaRite works OK too.
They are all repairable. The biggest thing you can do to make it last
longer is to build a dog house around it and keep it out of the
weather. Use quick disconnect couplings on the water lines and take it
inside in winter. It will last for decades that way.
Make sure this is on a GFCI.

I left ours exposed to the weather during the summer months. The
diatomaceous earth filter was made of stainless steel and large enough
that I didn't want to mess with it so it stayed on the concrete pad,
exposed.

I always disconnected pump and put it in an unheated shed for the winter
AFTER completely draining the pump and strainer. Then I filled the pump
housing with RV Anti-freeze and put plastic wrap over the pipe openings
to keep the seals wet. Never had a problem with either one.

And I left the pump out for the winter too. That's the general practice
here in NJ, the pumps are hardwired in, left out. It worked OK for me,
no fuss, no muss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

So, sounds like you agree, that if the OP is going to convert from a
cartridge and is looking at sand, he should consider DE.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

How often do you backwash and refill? We were doing every couple days
in a commercial pool and it looked pretty nasty when we pumped it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Once it's up and running, about every 3 weeks. Starting it up, depending
on how dirty it is, could be a few days. It only looks real bad, green,
etc, the first time or two when starting it up for the season. After
that, it will be darkish, gray, but not really that bad.