Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Above ground pool Pump

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 11:11:44 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 5/14/2018 8:46 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 9:29:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2018 19:44:07 GMT, Beinme1968
m wrote:

How do I change from a filter pump to a sand pump and can you recommend a
reasonable sand pump for a 10,000 gallon above ground pool?

You are just looking for a regular pool pump. These days the local
energy code might require that to be 2 speed. I have had pretty good
luck with the Hayward 3/4HP 2 speed but StaRite works OK too.
They are all repairable. The biggest thing you can do to make it last
longer is to build a dog house around it and keep it out of the
weather. Use quick disconnect couplings on the water lines and take it
inside in winter. It will last for decades that way.
Make sure this is on a GFCI.

Might look into a DE filter too. They do a better job filtering, idk if they have them sized to above ground pools though.

Sure do! My parents had a 21' above ground and ours was, IIRC, 18'x36'
and we both had the DE filter system. Worked great. Next door neighbor
has a sand filter and, meh, not so great!

So, sounds like you agree, that if the OP is going to convert from a
cartridge and is looking at sand, he should consider DE.