Posted to alt.home.repair

Default above ground pool pump question

How long should aa above ground pool pump last? I think mine is going out
again! This the the second one in only 2 yrs. THANKS!

Kim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" writes:

How long should aa above ground pool pump last? I think mine is going out
again! This the the second one in only 2 yrs. THANKS!

Longer than 2 years.
I'm on my second one over about 15 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote:

How long should aa above ground pool pump last? I think mine is going out
again! This the the second one in only 2 yrs. THANKS!

There are lots of variables-- but in NY, running it mid May to early
Sept. ; 24' round with a sand filter. . . . . The pool is in a small
clearing surrounded by trees so I keep the skimmer going 24/7 through
the whole season.

My records only go back to 1997-
1997 paid $30 for parts to 'rebuild pump'
2001- $183 for pump from Namco
2003- $30 for bearings- then bought rebuilt pump for $125
2004- new pump motor from Winans $163
2006- pump off ebay for $65

I'll buy another one next spring off Ebay-- last years is making a
bit of noise and probably won't survive the summer. For $65 I'll
start with a new one and maybe take the other one apart to see if its
worth rebuilding. [it could just be something in the impeller- it
isn't real noisy yet]

I wish I knew why that one pump lasted so well. It was a few years
old when I rebuilt it in '97-- then went 4 more. Since then I've
spent nearly $100 a year on pumps.

Jim