Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Above-ground pool installation question

Could somebody please clear up a technical pool installation question
for me? I have a 27 foot round Lomart "The Pines" pool. I do have a
"pool cove" around the perimeter of the base of the pool.

Against my preference and, I believe, against Lomart's instructions, my
pool installer insists on piling up dirt around the outside edge of the
pool going up the pool wall 8-12 inches in a little mini-slope. My
understanding is that Lomart discourages piling dirt up along the pool
wall as some soils can be very corrosive.

Am I off-base here? I think it is ugly and doesn't work with my REAL
water drainage/landscaping plans. Also, I'm worried it may impact my
pool warranty. My pool installer says, "if you take that dirt away all
the sand is just gonna wash out and I can't be responsible for that
pool etc. etc. rant rant". Actually, he want ME to put MORE dirt
around it.

Opinions? Advice?

gaf

Thanks. I've done the email route, so far no response.

gaf

Doesn't anybody have an opinion on this? What have you done around the
bottom edge of your above ground pool to insure rain water runs away
from the pool and that sand doesn't run out from underneath it?

I'm trying not to be unreasonable with my installer, but what he did
doesn't seem right to me.

On 27 Jun 2005 07:32:00 -0700, someone wrote:

I'm trying not to be unreasonable with my installer, but what he did
doesn't seem right to me.

What do you WANT him to do instead???

gaf

Well, I'd like him to follow the manufacturer;s instructions. I'd like
not to have dirt piled up around the base of the pool because it may
void the warranty, it looks ugly and it's effectiveness is
questionable. I think the pool should sit flat on the dirt and the
surrounding area should gently slope away from the pool to allow for
runoff. Simple enough. Isn't that what other people do? Isn't that
what Lomart wants?