Silk

Default Crown molding installation question

I am about to install crown molding in my house but I have never done
that before. I think I got the cutting part down but I am not sure
about the installation part. Any one has ideas about what the best way
to install them? Is it better to nail it from the corners in or from
the center out? On the mitered corners will nails be enough or should I
glue the corners as well (regular wood glue is good for that)?
If anyone can help I will appreciate it.

Thanks.

Darrell Dorsey

And what about what to nail too? For example, for the vertical wall there
are studs every 16 inches (we hope). But how about the ceiling. Some joint
run perpendicular to the wall and some parallel. Will there be a place to
nail to for the wall with the parallel ceiling joist?

Darrell

"Silk" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to install crown molding in my house but I have never done
that before. I think I got the cutting part down but I am not sure
about the installation part. Any one has ideas about what the best way
to install them? Is it better to nail it from the corners in or from
the center out? On the mitered corners will nails be enough or should I
glue the corners as well (regular wood glue is good for that)?
If anyone can help I will appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jim

"Darrell Dorsey" wrote in message
rvers.com...
And what about what to nail too? For example, for the vertical wall there
are studs every 16 inches (we hope). But how about the ceiling. Some

joint
run perpendicular to the wall and some parallel. Will there be a place to
nail to for the wall with the parallel ceiling joist?

Always nail into a stud or rafter. Wallboard has no strength. There may
not be a place to nail into a rafter if the rafters are parallel to the
wall.
Such is life.
Jim

loutent

In article .com,
Silk wrote:

I am about to install crown molding in my house but I have never done
that before. I think I got the cutting part down but I am not sure
about the installation part. Any one has ideas about what the best way
to install them? Is it better to nail it from the corners in or from
the center out? On the mitered corners will nails be enough or should I
glue the corners as well (regular wood glue is good for that)?
If anyone can help I will appreciate it.

Thanks.

Hi Silk,

I have done quite a lot of crown for myself and friends/relatives-
I am not a pro.

If you do not cope the inside corners, your work will look like
an amateur did it. It will look ok, but 'cheesey'.

Cope, cope, cope.....it's worth the time and little extra expense (in
waste).

Lou

Crown molding on a cathedral ceiling pb Home Repair 9 July 5th 06 01:26 PM
Crwon molding installation question Silk Woodworking 0 June 13th 05 07:04 PM
Crown Molding ?? EvoDawg Woodworking 10 June 6th 05 12:07 AM
crown molding??? EvoDawg Home Repair 3 June 5th 05 07:24 AM
Crown Molding in Square Room Buck Turgidson Woodworking 12 January 12th 05 12:12 AM