Posted to alt.home.repair

Default difference between above/below ground pool pump

Who knows the difference between an above ground vs below ground pool
pump?
Yes, I know that for a above ground pump, the water must be above the
pump.
However, if I have an above ground pump [bought by accident], is there
any way I can get it to work on a below ground pool?
How about filling the tube with water? Will that work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message ...
Who knows the difference between an above ground vs below ground pool
pump?
Yes, I know that for a above ground pump, the water must be above the
pump.
However, if I have an above ground pump [bought by accident], is there
any way I can get it to work on a below ground pool?
How about filling the tube with water? Will that work?

Lift
No a above ground pump design doesn't lend to lifting water to any height
Must be below water level they have very little suction they push water
A lift of only 1' -2' will cut output and they are not self-priming.
will reduce per-
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does anyone know how to make the lift calculations for a motor for a
below ground pool?
I have another 1.5 HP engine attached to 2" pipes.
I am getting about 5 ft of lift i.e. (11 kg) ~ 25 lbs.
( I see this because my original motor was able to drop the water
level by about 5 ft before giving up) Is this consistent with your
observations for comparable equipment?
The specs are at
http://deodiaus.tripod.com/pump.htm
Does anyone know any references to sites which discuss the topic of
how much lift one gets?

"Deodiaus" wrote in ...