Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More in-ground pool pump woes

My motor went out on my Sta-Rite pump so I bought a new one at Warehouse
Pool Supplies (WPS):
http://www.warehousepools.com/

They put a new seal and heat sink in and it leaked so I took it out and they
put in another seal and it leaked too. I'm getting tired of taking the
pump/motor out so I called:
http://www.poolrelief.com/ to come out and replace the seal but they haven't
done it yet.

Now it's not leaking! It stopped leaking after about 10 minutes of pumping.

Does anyone know what is going on with this seal? Is it possible it set on
it's own?

This is a step by step instruction guide:

http://spasupport.com/seq/werep/srmr1.html (seal replacement starts on page
2)

I noticed it doesn't say anything about using silicone sealant on the seal
and WPS used silicone around the heat sink and the seal.

TIA

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"retired53" [email protected] wrote in message
[...]

In case there is any doubt it is the motor shaft seal that was leaking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

retired53 wrote:
[...]

I always just replace the whole thing, as the motor replacement alone
costs so much. Also, by the time the motor goes out, the rest of the
pump is probably about shot as well. Actually I got two free Hayward
pumps from a relative that used to use them for her lobster store in
NYC, where they ran 24/7 so she always had spares. When she closed the
store she gave me the pumps. I'm on the second one now. The motors never
went out, but the pump part did fail catastrophically (plastic casting
where the filter basket goes in cracked).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sep 10, 8:23 pm, SMS wrote:
retired53 wrote:
[...]

where the filter basket goes in cracked).- Hide quoted text -

Since multiple seals are leaking on a new motor, I would suspect that
something other than the seal is wrong, like the motor shaft is not
perfectly straight, etc.

I just checked it and it's still not leaking. (About 18 hrs of operation)
It must of had something to do with the silicone. I was talking to the guy
at Crystal Clear and he said it sounds like too much silicone around the
seal. Weird.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"retired53" [email protected] wrote in message

I just checked it and it's still not leaking. (About 18 hrs of operation) It
must of had something to do with the silicone. I was talking to the guy at
Crystal Clear and he said it sounds like too much silicone around the seal.
Weird.

When I replaced a seal on mine, I don't recall any instructions to use any kind
of silicone. What did you do with it, and why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"retired53" [email protected] wrote in message

I just checked it and it's still not leaking. (About 18 hrs of operation)
It must of had something to do with the silicone. I was talking to the
guy at Crystal Clear and he said it sounds like too much silicone around
the seal. Weird.

When I replaced a seal on mine, I don't recall any instructions to use any
kind of silicone. What did you do with it, and why?

I didn't do anything with the seal. Warehouse Pool Supply put the seal in
and the guy at Crystal Clear speculated that it may have been too much.

I knoticed the web site said he uses Permatex.. Next time I'm doing it
myself. It's my first pool.

In ground pool pump recommendation nospamplse Home Repair 12 September 2nd 08 01:01 AM
Above ground pool? Rich Home Repair 6 March 16th 08 05:46 PM
above ground pool pump question Scott Home Repair 4 January 15th 07 03:24 PM
above ground pool ThriftyMom Home Repair 1 July 4th 06 01:00 AM
Above ground pool heaters - Gas heater vs. Electric heat pump ack123 Home Ownership 1 June 15th 05 04:39 PM