Posted to alt.home.repair

Default compressor shot

Im the one who mentioned the circuit breaker keeps tripping when the AC
comes on. Finally got the technician to come out and check it. He did some
continuity checks and then we tried to turn on the breaker. There were
sparks around the terminals of the compressor. He says its shorted which
makes sense.

I have a Ruud 10 SEER System with R-22 freon. He says you cant get
replacements and must switch to R-410a systems. The coil in the furnace
must also be replaced to match the pressure of the outside unit. He
estimated total cost close to $6000 installed for a 14 SEER Rheem
compressor/coil. The boss will call tomorrow with the price.

Ive dealt with these people before. Theyve replaced my water heater and
done some other plumbing jobs so I trust them. Does this seem like a
reasonable diagnosis and cost? I live in SE Virginia.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

I?m the one who mentioned the circuit breaker keeps tripping when the AC
comes on. Finally got the technician to come out and check it. He did some
continuity checks and then we tried to turn on the breaker. There were
sparks around the terminals of the compressor. He says it?s shorted which
makes sense.

I have a Ruud 10 SEER System with R-22 freon. He says you can?t get
replacements and must switch to R-410a systems. The coil in the furnace
must also be replaced to match the pressure of the outside unit. He
estimated total cost close to $6000 installed for a 14 SEER Rheem
compressor/coil. The boss will call tomorrow with the price.

I?ve dealt with these people before. They?ve replaced my water heater and
done some other plumbing jobs so I trust them. Does this seem like a
reasonable diagnosis and cost? I live in SE Virginia.

Sounds about right to me. The new r-22 systems have not been legal in
the US for probably over 10 years. Study says r-22 is bad for the
ozone. My info is the patten ranout on it about the same time.

The newer systems run at different pressuers and every thing needs to
match. If the system is old enough to be a r-22 it is probably old
enough to be replaced.

I had a heat pump replaced about 10 years ago and think it was around
4000 to 5000 for it. At that time I had a r-22 system put in as I could
still get it. "Did it for several reasons. I had a tank of r-22 if I
needed to add to it, the r-22 system has been around a long time, and
the pressure is less so should be less wear on the system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 5:06:44 PM UTC-5, badgolferman wrote:
Im the one who mentioned the circuit breaker keeps tripping when the AC
comes on. Finally got the technician to come out and check it. He did some
continuity checks and then we tried to turn on the breaker. There were
sparks around the terminals of the compressor. He says its shorted which
makes sense.

I have a Ruud 10 SEER System with R-22 freon. He says you cant get
replacements and must switch to R-410a systems. The coil in the furnace
must also be replaced to match the pressure of the outside unit. He
estimated total cost close to $6000 installed for a 14 SEER Rheem
compressor/coil. The boss will call tomorrow with the price.

Ive dealt with these people before. Theyve replaced my water heater and
done some other plumbing jobs so I trust them. Does this seem like a
reasonable diagnosis and cost? I live in SE Virginia.

Sounds high to me. How many tons? New lines or reuse the old? Permits included? You can buy that eqpt, 3 ton for under $2k. And how old is the furnace? That costs under $2k too and some of the labor is the same, if it's 15+ old and/or lower efficiency, I'd consider a whole system. And if it were me, I'd pay a little more more for a two stage ac, it's great for days when you just want to drop the humidity or cool it off a little.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:51:47 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

You can;t buy new R22 systems, but you can still legally buy
replacement parts.

If the rest of the systemis still in good condition, replacing
thecompressor would be "significantly" less expensive as long as R22
is still available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message
news
I'm the one who mentioned the circuit breaker keeps tripping when the AC
comes on. Finally got the technician to come out and check it. He did some
continuity checks and then we tried to turn on the breaker. There were
sparks around the terminals of the compressor. He says it's shorted which
makes sense.

I have a Ruud 10 SEER System with R-22 freon. He says you can't get
replacements and must switch to R-410a systems. The coil in the furnace
must also be replaced to match the pressure of the outside unit. He
estimated total cost close to $6000 installed for a 14 SEER Rheem
compressor/coil. The boss will call tomorrow with the price.

I've dealt with these people before. They've replaced my water heater and
done some other plumbing jobs so I trust them. Does this seem like a
reasonable diagnosis and cost? I live in SE Virginia.

Get two other quotes and you will have your answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 9:00:11 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:51:47 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

True, but he should also factor in how much it runs and what it costs
to run. When I replaced my old AC which was probably rated 10 Seer
with a 14, my electric bills in summer went down ~$200 a month
and I'm in a shady spot and keep it at 76F.
Probably because if it was once 10 Seer, it was probably less at the
end of it's life. Also he should look into any rebates from the
local utility, state, etc. Installers should be aware and have told
him, but you never know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/2018 06:10 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

Sounds high to me. How many tons? New lines or reuse the old? Permits included? You can buy that eqpt, 3 ton for under $2k. And how old is the furnace? That costs under $2k too and some of the labor is the same, if it's 15+ old and/or lower efficiency, I'd consider a whole system. And if it were me, I'd pay a little more more for a two stage ac, it's great for days when you just want to drop the humidity or cool it off a little.

I got my system replaced about 4 years ago for a little over $7000.
3-ton A/C, new lineset, gas furnace, and thermostat. both A/C and
furnace are 2 stage.

BTW, the new furnace has a small fan in the exhaust.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It is not disbelief that is dangerous to our society; it is belief."
[George Bernard Shaw]
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

Im the one who mentioned the circuit breaker keeps tripping when the
AC comes on. Finally got the technician to come out and check it. He
did some continuity checks and then we tried to turn on the breaker.
There were sparks around the terminals of the compressor. He says
its shorted which makes sense.

I have a Ruud 10 SEER System with R-22 freon. He says you cant get
replacements and must switch to R-410a systems. The coil in the
furnace must also be replaced to match the pressure of the outside
unit. He estimated total cost close to $6000 installed for a 14 SEER
Rheem compressor/coil. The boss will call tomorrow with the price.

Ive dealt with these people before. Theyve replaced my water heater
and done some other plumbing jobs so I trust them. Does this seem
like a reasonable diagnosis and cost? I live in SE Virginia.

First quote is $5400. Waiting for two more to come through. I've
asked for the furnace estimate too but that's not part of the first
quote.

I am planning on selling in 4-5 years. New water heater, furnace/AC
may be a good selling point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:24:11 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

$7K for a whole 2 stage system, including furnace sounds like a good deal.