Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire gauge needed for amps

I was looking for a site that would tell me which gauge wire to use based on amps and length of wire.

Wanted to run 3 feet for a 15 amp load.

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2018 7:06 PM, Andy wrote:
I was looking for a site that would tell me which gauge wire to use based on amps and length of wire.

Wanted to run 3 feet for a 15 amp load.

Thanks,
Andy

If you use thwn-2 copper wire with 90c devices, then you can go as small as 16 ga

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 20:01:19 -0500, Jack Legg Electric
wrote:

On 1/2/2018 7:06 PM, Andy wrote:
I was looking for a site that would tell me which gauge wire to use based on amps and length of wire.

Wanted to run 3 feet for a 15 amp load.

Thanks,
Andy

If you use thwn-2 copper wire with 90c devices, then you can go as small as 16 ga

The trick is finding that mythical 90c device. Screw binding terminals
are only rated at 60c. (the ones you see on regular switches and
receptacles). The "lug" type can be rated 75c but there is not much
rated 90c.

That still does not deal with voltage drop and that may be what the OP
cares about. A lot depends on the voltage you are dealing with. The
voltage drop is a function of amperage and wire size but dropping a
few volts at 120v is not the same as dropping that same few volts at
12v. That is why we really need to know the percentage of voltage
drop, not the absolute VD number. There are plenty of VD calculators
online