Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A question of turntables, amps and phono pre-amps.

Against my strongest advice son and his mum purchased a turntable for
christmas but couldn't use it as his amps didn't have phono input so
today we popped into Richer Sounds and picked up a phono pre-amp.

Wired it up and he un-joyed the whole reason CD's became just so
popular... (E.L.O. no sparkle or brightness,dull and lifeless, just as I
remembered Vinyl to be)

Anyway... he listened to it for about an hour, switched it off then came
back to listen again but his amp appeared to be non-amplifying so he
plugged the TT/Pre-amp into another amp (the one that electrocuted me
previously but still passed PAT test) and that too didn't respond to any
audio source but if it was turned up to 99 with a regular audio source
there is the faint sound from the speakers then the amp shuts down.

Is it possible the phono pre-amp has trashed 2 amplifiers?
When it was set up first there wasn't any problem or signs of impending
doom.

Tried a 3'rd amp (radio source not TT) on the speakers and speakers work
fine. It's got me baffled.

Optical, bluetooth and analogue inputs are all non-responsive.
Do we have an amp. killer?

TIA
Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2017 23:30, Pet (that's me that is) wrote:

Ignore that....
Just gone back in and switched the amp on and it's all come back to
life. I think our boy is one of those people that breaks electrical
things just by being in the same room at them.
Did indeed all seem a bit strange though.

Hey ho...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's got me baffled.

'Course it has grandad, they come with your speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQqWSnsHoA

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2017 00:28, Graham. wrote:
It's got me baffled.

'Course it has grandad, they come with your speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQqWSnsHoA

What about my 78's?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)
wrote:
Wired it up and he un-joyed the whole reason CD's became just so
popular... (E.L.O. no sparkle or brightness,dull and lifeless, just as I
remembered Vinyl to be)

Glad to see the problem is sorted by your later post.

But if your vinyl really does sound like you say, you've got something
very wrong somewhere. A reasonable cartridge and pre-amp won't be lacking
in brightness, compared to CD through the same system. The differences are
rather more subtle than that.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 January 2017 00:50:47 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)
wrote:
Wired it up and he un-joyed the whole reason CD's became just so
popular... (E.L.O. no sparkle or brightness,dull and lifeless, just as I
remembered Vinyl to be)

Glad to see the problem is sorted by your later post.

But if your vinyl really does sound like you say, you've got something
very wrong somewhere. A reasonable cartridge and pre-amp won't be lacking
in brightness, compared to CD through the same system. The differences are
rather more subtle than that.

Cartridges etc were a lot more variable then. A Shure 55E can brighten up the dullest system.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From the sound of it yes. However it must have a very advanced
disintegration device to do this sort of thing. The normal issue is that the
software controlled input switching gets scrambled so you cannot make it
work but from what you say it sounds worse.
Hard to see how a preamp can do this.
As for how it sounded, well like most things you get what you pay for and
many turntables sold with cartridges are let down by that cartridge.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No not really, maybe it has some form of protection against dc on its
analogue inputs. I had a Marantz like this and as it claimed to be dc
coupled I fancy this was the main reason it had it, nobody wants to put huge
amounts of DC into a speaker.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message news
On 22/01/2017 23:30, Pet (that's me that is) wrote:

Ignore that....
Just gone back in and switched the amp on and it's all come back to
life. I think our boy is one of those people that breaks electrical
things just by being in the same room at them.
Did indeed all seem a bit strange though.

Hey ho...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Wired it up and he un-joyed the whole reason CD's became just so
popular... (E.L.O. no sparkle or brightness,dull and lifeless, just
as I remembered Vinyl to be)

Glad to see the problem is sorted by your later post.

But if your vinyl really does sound like you say, you've got something
very wrong somewhere. A reasonable cartridge and pre-amp won't be
lacking in brightness, compared to CD through the same system. The
differences are rather more subtle than that.

Cartridges etc were a lot more variable then. A Shure 55E can brighten
up the dullest system.

It's one of the few things where the capacitance of connecting leads can
make a difference.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Glad to see the problem is sorted by your later post.

But if your vinyl really does sound like you say, you've got something
very wrong somewhere. A reasonable cartridge and pre-amp won't be lacking
in brightness, compared to CD through the same system. The differences are
rather more subtle than that.

They purchased a "Pro-Ject Elemental"
http://www.whathifi.com/pro-ject/elemental/review

The pre-amp is made by the same company was £60 rather than the £30
alternative.

TT has reasonable reviews for the price range.
Perhaps I need to take my old record collection home to try rather than
the 2 "freshly pressed" ones they bought (Best of ELO and Queen)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's one of the few things where the capacitance of connecting leads can
make a difference.

Hmmmm We scraped around the cable boxes and found some pretty old,
skinny leads, the type you'd get with a cheap CD player back in the
day... So perhaps low grade interconnects between TT and pre-amp and
pre-amp and amp might actually be making a difference...

Will get some slightly better ones and see..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2017 10:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
From the sound of it yes. However it must have a very advanced
disintegration device to do this sort of thing. The normal issue is that the
software controlled input switching gets scrambled so you cannot make it
work but from what you say it sounds worse.
Hard to see how a preamp can do this.
As for how it sounded, well like most things you get what you pay for and
many turntables sold with cartridges are let down by that cartridge.
Brian

Thanks Brian,
It comes with an Ortofon OM 5E cartridge which from my quick research is
somewhat lacking.... but it's better for the boy that has no idea about
handling records and the fragility of such components to "practice" with
a cheap one rather than accidentally skip an expensive replacement
across the turntable mat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Glad to see the problem is sorted by your later post.

But if your vinyl really does sound like you say, you've got something
very wrong somewhere. A reasonable cartridge and pre-amp won't be lacking
in brightness, compared to CD through the same system. The differences are
rather more subtle than that.

They purchased a "Pro-Ject Elemental"
http://www.whathifi.com/pro-ject/elemental/review

The pre-amp is made by the same company was £60 rather than the £30
alternative.

TT has reasonable reviews for the price range.
Perhaps I need to take my old record collection home to try rather than
the 2 "freshly pressed" ones they bought (Best of ELO and Queen)

If they are new issues of an LP, it wouldn't surprise me if they have been
re-mastered to sound as different as possible from the CD.

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

13 amps micky Home Repair 12 May 20th 14 06:12 PM
What Amps ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 6 October 3rd 12 11:12 PM
dumb question volts/amps - how much is too much? pyotr filipivich Metalworking 74 June 14th 11 12:56 AM
electrician, breaker and amps question regarding cost... markm75 Home Repair 17 August 28th 08 06:08 AM
3 phase welder amps question Moray Cuthill Metalworking 19 October 13th 05 03:40 PM