Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What Amps ?

Thinking of purchasing some horns off eBay, number 250855467525 and was
wondering what sort of current these draw.

Anyone help please ?

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

Thinking of purchasing some horns off eBay, number 250855467525 and was
wondering what sort of current these draw.

Anyone help please ?

Jim G

A very few Amps I'd expect. But unless you are planning to drive in Rome,
the duty cycle will be so tiny that it would barely matter what fuse rating
or wire you used as long as you were "reasonable".

What's the application - I notice these are 24V
--
Tim Watts
Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
Thinking of purchasing some horns off eBay, number 250855467525 and was
wondering what sort of current these draw.

Anyone help please ?

Jim G

I'd guess at a couple of amps - any more than that would make the power
dissipation rather high. However from the point of view of choosing a
switch, I'd allow plenty of margin and make sure that it was rated for
DC inductive loads.

HTH

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 14:26:25 +0100, "the_constructor"
wrote:

Thinking of purchasing some horns off eBay, number 250855467525 and was
wondering what sort of current these draw.

10 amps max.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:

Thinking of purchasing some horns off eBay, number 250855467525 and was
wondering what sort of current these draw.

Anyone help please ?

Jim G

A very few Amps I'd expect. But unless you are planning to drive in Rome,
the duty cycle will be so tiny that it would barely matter what fuse
rating
or wire you used as long as you were "reasonable".

What's the application - I notice these are 24V
--
Tim

Thanks Tim and everyone else, who has replied upto now. Yes the horns are
24V and are needed for my mobility scooter. I was rather concerned about
what size wire to use but as you say, a couple of pip pips isn't going to do
much harm. Why have this type of horn on the scooter, easy answer is
because, pederstrians are fools and so are motorists who reverse out of
driveways without looking where they are going or who is approaching.
Before others say I shouldn't be on the footpath, there are others who say I
shouldn't be on the road. Can't win whatever one does, so I don't want any
flamethrowers thank you.
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2012 22:59, the_constructor wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:

[...]

You thought of an air horn? (Whether manually pumped or gas canister.)
Might be easier and more flexible? But I am sure you'd know better than
I what would be best.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

Thanks Tim and everyone else, who has replied upto now. Yes the horns are
24V and are needed for my mobility scooter. I was rather concerned about
what size wire to use but as you say, a couple of pip pips isn't going to
do much harm. Why have this type of horn on the scooter, easy answer is
because, pederstrians are fools and so are motorists who reverse out of
driveways without looking where they are going or who is approaching.
Before others say I shouldn't be on the footpath, there are others who say
I shouldn't be on the road. Can't win whatever one does, so I don't want
any flamethrowers thank you.
Jim G

Sounds like a bit of 3A twin flex or similar in plain wire would be more
than sufficient. 3A twin mains with sheath (eg as might be used for
tablelamps) would offer some mechanical strength and extra protection for an
application like this.

amps to hp Aaron Fude Home Repair 25 August 5th 09 04:33 PM
240 amps John Larkin Electronic Schematics 2 March 19th 09 10:15 PM
HP/Amps stu Woodworking 0 September 11th 08 11:22 PM
How many amps? [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 10th 05 12:32 AM
car amps GregS Electronics Repair 4 August 7th 03 01:03 AM