Posted to rec.woodworking
stu stu is offline

Default HP/Amps

Not meaning to nit-pick but that is 746W=1HP

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 12:45 pm, wrote:
My new edge sander was delivered today, Grizzly 6x80. In the version
of the manual on the website they list it as 1.5 HP 16A/8A. But in
the manual that came with it and on the nameplate on the motor it says
1.5 HP 20A/10A.

Now I should probably run a dedicated 220V line to it regardless, but
for the time being I thought I was going to be fine on my 20A 110V
circuit. I just think it's very weird because if it's really drawing
20A then why are they calling it 1.5 HP? 20A should give 2 HP. I was
under the impression that they couldn't lie about the amps, but HP
ratings were more fudge-able. It's a 1725 RPM motor, and looking at
the motors Grizzly has in their catalog the 1.5 HP 1725RPM model draws
17A, whereas the 3450RPM draws 15.6. So I suppose that can explain a
bit of why the number is higher than I expect, but not all of it.
Have they just found a new source of really inefficient motors?

I wired it for 110 and it ran fine with no belt on it, but that
doesn't really mean anything. I need to build a stand for it and get
it up on that before I start bolting on all the tables and whatnot so
it's going to be a while before I can test it under load.

756 watts per HP @ 100% efficiency. Most electrical motors run around
90% or so. Sooooo let's call it 1000 watfs per HP 12.5 amps at 120 V
will get you your horse-and-a-half. 6.25 amps at 240 V

HP/Amps Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 2 September 12th 08 09:57 AM
HP/Amps Chris Friesen Woodworking 2 September 12th 08 01:40 AM
15 amps or 20 amps miamicuse Home Repair 54 April 12th 07 02:49 PM
How many amps? [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 10th 05 12:32 AM
car amps GregS Electronics Repair 4 August 7th 03 01:03 AM