Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water knob on the bathroom faucet is wonky

hi
The hot water knob on my bathroom sink is not working correctly, something seems to have slipped out of alignment. If I move the hot water knob to the off position, the water runs, if I move it half way into the ON position, the water runs, if I move it all the way ON, the water stops.
I opened up the knobs and removed the plastic pieces. See the pic.
The picture shows the position where the water should be turned off (the flat side of the metal spindle is facing out)
Yet the the hot water is running. I can't visibly see where the problem is. Where do I make the adjustment?
Thanks

http://tinypic.com/r/vh87et/9
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to strangways, Iggy wrote:
It could be a broken handle insert...that blue thing above the cold side. It
could be that the red "C" should be facing forward, like the cold side's blue
"C". Or, that the cartridge broke and needs to be replaced, the reason why the
red "C" is out of position. Replace both cartridges if replacing any.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...y-1153410-.htm

Member

Your plumbing system is diffuse and damage.This basic reason to solve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 00:44:03 GMT, Iggy
m wrote:

replying to strangways, Iggy wrote:
It could be a broken handle insert...that blue thing above the cold side. It
could be that the red "C" should be facing forward, like the cold side's blue
"C". Or, that the cartridge broke and needs to be replaced, the reason why the
red "C" is out of position. Replace both cartridges if replacing any.

I don't see any reason to replace the other one. These are not like
left and right shock absorbers on a car. In fact in some places the
cold gets opened much more often than the hot, and is likely to wear out
first, but even if they were opened the same, it's the nature of things
that one side might last much longer.

I can see buying the parts for both sides, so that he'll have it.
Especially since I'm told they sell faucet replacement parts for what I
consider a very short time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to strangways, Iggy wrote:
It could be a broken handle insert...that blue thing above the cold side. It
could be that the red "C" should be facing forward, like the cold side's blue
"C". Or, that the cartridge broke and needs to be replaced, the reason why the
red "C" is out of position. Replace both cartridges if replacing any.

I don't see any reason to replace the other one. These are not like
left and right shock absorbers on a car. In fact in some places the
cold gets opened much more often than the hot, and is likely to wear out
first, but even if they were opened the same, it's the nature of things
that one side might last much longer.

I can see buying the parts for both sides, so that he'll have it.
Especially since I'm told they sell faucet replacement parts for what I
consider a very short time.

If I bought both I'd replace both. If you don't, you may be dragging
out the tools again in a week, in a year, but once you have the water
off and tools there I'd just be done and not have to touch it for
another 10 years. But tht's just me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to micky, Iggy wrote:
I'd agree, but no harm in prevention if it's the age of the plastic that's the
problem...it looks like an $8 part. Actually, hot almost always wears out
first and especially for the plastic stuff. The heat causes much more reaction
or more expansion and contraction on rubbers and plastics, where the cold has
almost no reaction and things stay fairly stable.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...y-1153410-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 21:14:02 GMT, Iggy
m wrote:

replying to micky, Iggy wrote:
I'd agree, but no harm in prevention if it's the age of the plastic that's the
problem...it looks like an $8 part. Actually, hot almost always wears out
first and especially for the plastic stuff. The heat causes much more reaction
or more expansion and contraction on rubbers and plastics, where the cold has
almost no reaction and things stay fairly stable.

I don't have any plastic in my faucets. Maybe they'll last longer. I
don't know what the stem packing is made of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to micky, Iggy wrote:
Yeah, that's the way to be! I haven't had any failures in my ceramic disc and
metal cartridges, so I'm still a big fan of that combination. However, I still
have a few shower stems that are old brass with rubber washers, I only get
10-years out of those washers.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...y-1153410-.htm