Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? WIFI question

Â* I've noticed that the wifi signal to my shop is misbehaving - I open
the "status" window to monitor the data transfer rate , and as soon as I
initiate a data transfer by any means the rate drops radically . Like
from 130 Mb/s to 6.5 . I hooked up an access point halfway between the
wifi router and the comp (about 60 ft from router to shop comp) with no
improvement . The AP is a Cisco VEN601-ATÂ* originally from an AT&T
U-verse network , but the link and paired lights both come on so I
believe it's working . Is this drop in transfer rate normal ? Caused by
distance ? Maybe the inexpensive wifi card I put in the computer ?

Â* Comp is a home built , using an Asrock N68C-GS4FX motherboard ,
Phenom X4/2.3Ghz with 8 Gb of RAM , running Win7 Pro/64 and the wifi
card is made by Ralink .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 02:18 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Hi Terry,

Routers go bad ALL-THE-TIME. I carry them with me as
they are an easy sale. Routers are just too cheap to
be reliable. (A reliable unit is in the $400 range).

1) how far away are you from the router?

2) have you directly (wired) plugged into to your
router to see if the issue persists?

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 4:33 PM, T wrote:
On 11/17/2017 02:18 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* I've noticed that the wifi signal to my shop is misbehaving - I
open the "status" window to monitor the data transfer rate , and as
soon as I initiate a data transfer by any means the rate drops
radically . Like from 130 Mb/s to 6.5 . I hooked up an access point
halfway between the wifi router and the comp (about 60 ft from router
to shop comp) with no improvement . The AP is a Cisco VEN601-ATÂ*
originally from an AT&T U-verse network , but the link and paired
lights both come on so I believe it's working . Is this drop in
transfer rate normal ? Caused by distance ? Maybe the inexpensive
wifi card I put in the computer ?

Â*Â* Comp is a home built , using an Asrock N68C-GS4FX motherboard ,
Phenom X4/2.3Ghz with 8 Gb of RAM , running Win7 Pro/64 and the wifi
card is made by Ralink .

Â*Â* --

Â*Â* Snag

Hi Terry,

Routers go bad ALL-THE-TIME.Â* I carry them with me as
they are an easy sale.Â* Routers are just too cheap to
be reliable.Â* (A reliable unit is in the $400 range).

1) how far away are you from the router?

2) have you directly (wired) plugged into to your
router to see if the issue persists?

-T

Â* About 60 feet , and the connection is flawless when wired . The
wireless router also feeds 2 laptops and 2 ROKU units inside the house
with no problems . I also have 2 desktop comps running on wired
connections from that same router . I don't think the router is the
problem ... and the shop comp didn't do this when I had it in the house
recently for maintenance .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 02:54 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 11/17/2017 4:33 PM, T wrote:
[...]

This is sounding like your wireless card is the issue.

Wireless can not shoot though metal, especially mirrors and
computer cases. Make sure you are line of sight with your
antenna and your router. Wireless can shoot through wood and
sheet rock.

Also test with a Linux Live USB/DVD to make sure it is not
your operating system.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/xfce/

These can be directly dd'ed to a USB, unlike stinking
Windows ISOs.

If that dose not work, try another wireless card. Start Tech
would be a good place to start. They are not the best quality,
but they are good quality and have somewhat good tech support.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 4:33 PM, T wrote:
On 11/17/2017 02:18 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* I've noticed that the wifi signal to my shop is misbehaving - I
open the "status" window to monitor the data transfer rate , and as
soon as I initiate a data transfer by any means the rate drops
radically . Like from 130 Mb/s to 6.5 . I hooked up an access point
halfway between the wifi router and the comp (about 60 ft from
router to shop comp) with no improvement . The AP is a Cisco
VEN601-AT originally from an AT&T U-verse network , but the link and
paired lights both come on so I believe it's working . Is this drop
in transfer rate normal ? Caused by distance ? Maybe the inexpensive
wifi card I put in the computer ?

Â*Â* Comp is a home built , using an Asrock N68C-GS4FX motherboard ,
Phenom X4/2.3Ghz with 8 Gb of RAM , running Win7 Pro/64 and the wifi
card is made by Ralink .

Â*Â* --

Â*Â* Snag

Hi Terry,

Routers go bad ALL-THE-TIME.Â* I carry them with me as
they are an easy sale.Â* Routers are just too cheap to
be reliable.Â* (A reliable unit is in the $400 range).

1) how far away are you from the router?

2) have you directly (wired) plugged into to your
router to see if the issue persists?

-T

Â*Â* About 60 feet , and the connection is flawless when wired . The
wireless router also feeds 2 laptops and 2 ROKU units inside the house
with no problems . I also have 2 desktop comps running on wired
connections from that same router . I don't think the router is the
problem ... and the shop comp didn't do this when I had it in the
house recently for maintenance .

This is sounding like your wireless card is the issue.

Wireless can not shoot though metal, especially mirrors and
computer cases.Â* Make sure you are line of sight with your
antenna and your router.Â* Wireless can shoot through wood and
sheet rock.

Also test with a Linux Live USB/DVD to make sure it is not
your operating system.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/xfce/

These can be directly dd'ed to a USB, unlike stinking
Windows ISOs.

If that dose not work, try another wireless card.Â* Start Tech
would be a good place to start.Â* They are not the best quality,
but they are good quality and have somewhat good tech support.

Never thought of a mirror but I had metal filing cabinets blocking
computer and smart TV. Moving cabinets solved problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 4:33 PM, T wrote:
[...]

computer and smart TV.Â* Moving cabinets solved problem.

Silver is the holy grail of micro and radio waves. The only
thing they love more than silver is silver oxide. NEVER, NEVER
EVER clean off the black from your silver coated radio/microwave
test equipment.

Had a customer that could not shoot from one bedroom to the
one next door the next. Both room had adjoining closets with
mirrors for doors. We moved the router.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 5:17:44 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle from quantum physics,
just looking at something effects it and you can't measure it. Or a
catch 22. By that I mean you say that as soon as you transfer something,
the rate drops. But how can there be a rate, without transfering something?
Aside from the philosophical, to diagnose the problem,
I'd drag the PC to the house, where it can talk to the router directly
like the other PCs and see what happens. Sounds like it could be an
issue with the card.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:54:10 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 11/17/2017 4:33 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Just a wild assed guess as an old computer guy. What are the chances
that the 130 number was a projection based on ping time and actual
data transfer is much slower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 7:27 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Â* I had it in the house , about 15 feet from the router . No problems
at all . I've got the stuff to make one up , I think I'm just going to
string an ethernet cable out there .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 4:33 PM, T wrote:
On 11/17/2017 02:18 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
** I've noticed that the wifi signal to my shop is misbehaving - I
open the "status" window to monitor the data transfer rate , and as
soon as I initiate a data transfer by any means the rate drops
radically . Like from 130 Mb/s to 6.5 . I hooked up an access point
halfway between the wifi router and the comp (about 60 ft from
router to shop comp) with no improvement . The AP is a Cisco
VEN601-AT originally from an AT&T U-verse network , but the link and
paired lights both come on so I believe it's working . Is this drop
in transfer rate normal ? Caused by distance ? Maybe the inexpensive
wifi card I put in the computer ?

** Comp is a home built , using an Asrock N68C-GS4FX motherboard ,
Phenom X4/2.3Ghz with 8 Gb of RAM , running Win7 Pro/64 and the wifi
card is made by Ralink .

** --

[...]

I use simple USB NICs - put them on a USB extention cord and put
them wherever they need to be without having to relocate the computer
or any other "important" stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 07:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 11/17/2017 7:27 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 5:17:44 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* I've noticed that the wifi signal to my shop is misbehaving - I open
[...]

just looking at something effects it and you can't measure it.Â* Or a
catch 22.Â* By that I mean you say that as soon as you transfer something,
the rate drops.Â* But how can there be a rate, without transfering
something?
Aside from the philosophical, to diagnose the problem,
I'd drag the PC to the house, where it can talk to the router directly
like the other PCs and see what happens.Â* Sounds like it could be an
issue with the card.

Â* I had it in the house , about 15 feet from the router . No problems
at all . I've got the stuff to make one up , I think I'm just going to
string an ethernet cable out there .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Great idea.

You have some microwave barriers between you and the router.
Wired is ~10 times more reliable than wireless. Take it
from a Radio Design engineer turned IT consultant.

If running a wire outside, there are special cables for
outdoors that repel mice, which LOVE to nibble on your
cables.

I have had some customer try to run databases like Quickbooks
through wireless. What a joke. I wag the finger at them
and install a wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 4:33 PM, T wrote:
[...]

That is also a good idea. You can sting a USB cord up and out of
microwave barriers way. Only draw back is to not use a CHEAP
USB NIC. My customer's have rotten luck with them. I
remove a lot of them. But they were really cheap! (I charge
about 10U$D to run a patch cable from their computer to
their router which is usually within 10 feet.)

With Wireless nic card in the back of your computer, you can
also string an external antenna to get the antenna out of
the way of microwave obstructions. I have had good luck
with

TP-Link Network TL-ANT2405CL Wireless Access Point 2.4GHz 5dBi
Indoor Omni-directional Antenna Retail

Internal wireless cards work better than USB NICs.

Wired is still far more reliable than wireless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 19:39:29 -0800, T wrote:

Internal wireless cards work better than USB NICs.

Wired is still far more reliable than wireless.

No argument from me on that. NIC's on Mo Bo?

ISP's change, technology changes software, etc.

I have ADSL, a Cisco router ~ 10 years old. I do see latency on
wireless -- not so much on a wired unit.

I haven't found the need for the 100 mbps for what I do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2017 12:59 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 19:39:29 -0800, T wrote:

Internal wireless cards work better than USB NICs.

Wired is still far more reliable than wireless.

No argument from me on that. NIC's on Mo Bo?

ISP's change, technology changes software, etc.

I have ADSL, a Cisco router ~ 10 years old. I do see latency on
wireless -- not so much on a wired unit.

I haven't found the need for the 100 mbps for what I do.

I have installed 1000 base-T hubs at customer sites
and haven't noticed much of a change over 100 base-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 13:10:14 -0800, T wrote:

On 11/18/2017 12:59 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 19:39:29 -0800, T wrote:

Internal wireless cards work better than USB NICs.

Wired is still far more reliable than wireless.

No argument from me on that. NIC's on Mo Bo?

ISP's change, technology changes software, etc.

I have ADSL, a Cisco router ~ 10 years old. I do see latency on
wireless -- not so much on a wired unit.

I haven't found the need for the 100 mbps for what I do.

I have installed 1000 base-T hubs at customer sites
and haven't noticed much of a change over 100 base-T

It is hard to keep the pipe full with the things most people do but
you will see a difference in big file transfers like backing up a
drive. I know when I hit a 100m leg I really see things slow down.
I am migrating to 1g everywhere as fast as I can but I still have a
lot of old stuff here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2017 01:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

I think the issue I am seeing is that they are using 1 Gig
on older machines that can not handle the throughput:
mechanical hard drives, slow RAM, etc.. These
machines are just slow in general.

If some of these guys ever upgrade their machines, it
will be interesting to how 1 Gig does.

I have a few customers with machines that are so excruciatingly
slow that they almost double their bills on labor. Still
won't upgrade. And, what gets me is that new computers
are a drop in the bucket of their overhead expense. I
think it is an ego thing, like the not paying above market
wages and having to constantly retrain revolving door
employees, which is far more expensive than paying a dollar
more an hour.

A lot of employers have CABDs (cheap asses buzzard disease).
The "B" might not stand for "buzzard". Stepping over dollars
to save dimes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2017 04:45 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 13:56:40 -0800, T wrote:

On 11/18/2017 01:40 PM,
wrote:
[...]

You can fill up a 100m pipe with a disk to disk transfer even at PATA
speeds but you won't get to 1g with any machines I have. It is still a
lot faster tho.

Poop I have to put up with is a java program running over
the network. Dumb idea, but I have no control over it.
My job is to get it running and stay running.

Do you use Cat 5E or Cat 6 for your cabling? 5 is cheaper
and easier to run, but is not rated for 1 Gig (its works
though).

Have you worked with 10 Gig yet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2017 4:33 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Qualify that -- SOME internal wireless cards work better than SOME USB
NICs.
Even the cheap NICs (I buy Belkins for under$15.00) have been doing a
very good job for me - on the end of a 6 foot cable actually
outperforming many built-ins when the computer is under a desk next to
a filing cabinet.

(or other such "sub-optimal" locations)

Wired is still far more reliable than wireless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 13:10:14 -0800, T wrote:

On 11/18/2017 12:59 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 19:39:29 -0800, T wrote:

Internal wireless cards work better than USB NICs.

Wired is still far more reliable than wireless.

No argument from me on that. NIC's on Mo Bo?

ISP's change, technology changes software, etc.

I have ADSL, a Cisco router ~ 10 years old. I do see latency on
wireless -- not so much on a wired unit.

I haven't found the need for the 100 mbps for what I do.

I have installed 1000 base-T hubs at customer sites
and haven't noticed much of a change over 100 base-T

On internet you won't, because the internet is generally much slower
than 100BT.
When accessing data from a server or on a peer to peerr network, the
speed of the NIC on the slowest machine on the network generally
dictates the upper limit of the network speed - and often the hard
drive is even slower than the NIC.

At the insurance office, where the database server had 4 gigabit NICs,
serving 30+ users at a time, the giga network was noticeably faster on
databse access than the 100BT, and getting outgoing mailout of the
Outlook out-box into the Exchange server was also noticeably quicker
in most cases. The whole network was Giga.

Anything that depended on internet access and trtansfer was totally
unaffected by the higher speed network.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2017 01:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

MOST DEFINITELY!!!
When a new desktop can be had for , say, $600, and it would more than
double the workflow, the new computer is a slam dunk. Spending $1200
on a computer that is no faster than the $600 one is foolishness -
yet I see both extremes. The one office I'm cleaning out had 3rd gen
I3 and i5 computers in the discard pile - perfectly functional
computers -(high end Lenovos, even) which had been replaced with
"gamer grade" DEL computers that will not be ANY faster in daily use.
Staight client-server database applications, and e-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Had Cat5E in the old office, on Giga. No issues.

The new office is all Cat6. No experience with 10G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 19:31:20 -0800, T wrote:

On 11/17/2017 07:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 11/17/2017 7:27 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 5:17:44 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
** I've noticed that the wifi signal to my shop is misbehaving - I open
the "status" window to monitor the data transfer rate , and as soon as I
initiate a data transfer by any means the rate drops radically . Like
from 130 Mb/s to 6.5 . I hooked up an access point halfway between the
wifi router and the comp (about 60 ft from router to shop comp) with no
improvement . The AP is a Cisco VEN601-AT* originally from an AT&T
U-verse network , but the link and paired lights both come on so I
believe it's working . Is this drop in transfer rate normal ? Caused by
distance ? Maybe the inexpensive wifi card I put in the computer ?

* * Comp is a home built , using an Asrock N68C-GS4FX motherboard ,
Phenom X4/2.3Ghz with 8 Gb of RAM , running Win7 Pro/64 and the wifi
card is made by Ralink .

* * --

* * Snag
Sounds like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle from quantum physics,
just looking at something effects it and you can't measure it.* Or a
catch 22.* By that I mean you say that as soon as you transfer something,
the rate drops.* But how can there be a rate, without transfering
something?
Aside from the philosophical, to diagnose the problem,
I'd drag the PC to the house, where it can talk to the router directly
like the other PCs and see what happens.* Sounds like it could be an
issue with the card.

* I had it in the house , about 15 feet from the router . No problems
at all . I've got the stuff to make one up , I think I'm just going to
string an ethernet cable out there .

* --

* Snag

Great idea.

You have some microwave barriers between you and the router.
Wired is ~10 times more reliable than wireless. Take it
from a Radio Design engineer turned IT consultant.

If running a wire outside, there are special cables for
outdoors that repel mice, which LOVE to nibble on your
cables.

I have had some customer try to run databases like Quickbooks
through wireless. What a joke. I wag the finger at them
and install a wire.

Run the cable underground to avoid lightning impulse issues etc.

One office I worked at for a while as a consultant - a UNIX utilities
developer - still running Co-Ax network - was using an optical link
between 2 buildings - also tried a microwave link - and their netwoork
was PAINFULLY slow. They had a P.Eng in charge of the IT department
and they kept throwing new technology at the problem. (different
routers and bridges - as well as the "links") I went in and cut about
a mile of co-ax out of the building and the speed more than doubled.
They had 50 feet and more of cable curled up behind almost evey desk
"in case they needed to move the desk" - where 10 feet would have been
more than adequate. The "air core inductors" so formed were
incredibly effective at causing latency and lost packets -- - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 15:06:48 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

latency and lost packets -- - -

Some guys traveled to find a problem on the WAN, down in Atlanta a IT
person plugged a fax, maybe in the router? She said, "it looked like
where to plug it in. The fax was beaconing across the LAN's and WAN.
Packets were causing havoc. They didn't know where to go and collided
in the pipe. LOL.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2017 2:06 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* I guess it's time I buried that 2/0 3 conductor aluminum service out
to the shop too ...

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 18:54:49 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

[...]

Terry - the voltage on a network cable is very low, and the voltage
tolerance in the network cards etc is a lot lower. Not hard to take
out the nic with a relatively minor el;ectromagnetic incident.. You
might get away with it for a LONG time, or it might get you the first
storm., Just sayin' - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/17 7:37 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 18:54:49 -0600, Terry Coombs

Â*Â* I guess it's time I buried that 2/0 3 conductor aluminum service out
to the shop too ...

Shouldn't it be 4 conductor? Or are we just counting differently?

Â* Snag

Terry - the voltage on a network cable is very low, and the voltage
tolerance in the network cards etc is a lot lower. Not hard to take
out the nic with a relatively minor el;ectromagnetic incident.. You
might get away with it for a LONG time, or it might get you the first
storm., Just sayin' - - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Run the cable underground to avoid lightning impulse issues etc.

Â*Â* I guess it's time I buried that 2/0 3 conductor aluminum service out
to the shop too ...

Â* --

You can still get lightning surges from buried cables, when lighting hits a nearby tree or anything actually. and conducts through the ground.
mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Run the cable underground to avoid lightning impulse issues etc.

Running a cable underground does not always avoid lightning issues.
That is a common myth. Lightning may or may not affect an above
ground cable on its way to ground but it always ends up in the ground.
Depending on the local ground conductivity and other factors, it can
easily cause spikes in underground cables.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 6:54:30 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Amazon sells surge protectors for hardwired network cables and Amazon also sells RF network link gear/access points plus high gain antennas for WiFi gear. I've used a lot of the items with great success. If you use an RF link you should put surge protection on the power to the RF link units. I sold and installed the more expensive commercial access points and wireless links between commercial buildings but I've also used the less expensive consumer grade gear without a problem when I needed to get a signal between buildings. It can be as simple as installing high gain antennas on a pair of old WiFi routers from your junk box and configuring one of them as a bridge. I used this method years back when I shared a connection with a friend next door to me and the 2.4ghz signal traveled through several walls between the houses. Now, I use an Edimax EW-7288APC switched to bridge mode connected to the input of my Cisco/Linksys E1500 router to make a sub-network off the center's WiFi. The administration usually gives only one unique password to each resident to the WiFi and I put that in the Edimax unit feeding my WiFi router which gives me access to the network for my laptops and tablets all at the same time. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://tinyurl.com/yddkgu74

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-5GHz-W.../dp/B00NQ3PK9Y

https://tinyurl.com/y75o234q

https://tinyurl.com/yd5jlqc7

[8~{} Uncle Wired Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Â* I was just sayin' that I need to bury the power supply cable too .
Actually the big cable only runs part way right now , there's about 30
feet of copper from where the original supply hookup was to the shop .
And it's not really heavy enough for the loads I sometimes put on it .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Run the cable underground to avoid lightning impulse issues etc.

Running a cable underground does not always avoid lightning issues.
That is a common myth. Lightning may or may not affect an above
ground cable on its way to ground but it always ends up in the ground.
Depending on the local ground conductivity and other factors, it can
easily cause spikes in underground cables.

I've seen times when lightning literally bored a hole into the
ground until it
hit a wire we had buried. I don't know if it went further into the
ground or stopped
at the wire. There was no need to dig further.
Green corn stalks were fried in the area surrounding the hit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Run the cable underground to avoid lightning impulse issues etc.

Running a cable underground does not always avoid lightning issues.
That is a common myth. Lightning may or may not affect an above
ground cable on its way to ground but it always ends up in the ground.
Depending on the local ground conductivity and other factors, it can
easily cause spikes in underground cables.

Yes it CAN, but the chances of a dangerous surge in a buried network
cable is a LOT less than one in open air strung 10 feet above ground.
Even in house wiring is succeptable - but outside overhead is the
biggest risk
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Run the cable underground to avoid lightning impulse issues etc.

Running a cable underground does not always avoid lightning issues.
That is a common myth. Lightning may or may not affect an above
ground cable on its way to ground but it always ends up in the ground.
Depending on the local ground conductivity and other factors, it can
easily cause spikes in underground cables.

Yes it CAN, but the chances of a dangerous surge in a buried network
cable is a LOT less than one in open air strung 10 feet above ground.
Even in house wiring is succeptable - but outside overhead is the
biggest risk

Â* Fortunately , we live down in The Holler , where Lightning seldom
visits . Today I strung an aerialÂ* CAT5E cable from the house to the
shop . Results were predictable and immediate ... I already had a cable
run to the corner of the house closest to the shop from my WAP
experiments , I plugged that one into a 4 port network switch and made
up a new one to go from that point to the comp out in the shop . With
about 20 feet extra , which will be enough for when I bury it later .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Run the cable underground to avoid lightning impulse issues etc.

Running a cable underground does not always avoid lightning issues.
That is a common myth. Lightning may or may not affect an above
ground cable on its way to ground but it always ends up in the ground.
Depending on the local ground conductivity and other factors, it can
easily cause spikes in underground cables.

Yes it CAN, but the chances of a dangerous surge in a buried network
cable is a LOT less than one in open air strung 10 feet above ground.
Even in house wiring is succeptable - but outside overhead is the
biggest risk

Surges seldom actually have anything to do with lightning hitting the
wire. Those are usually total destruction.
Surges are usually differences of potential in the common between each
end of the wire.
We fixed a lot of these problem by bonding the machine frames together
with a fat copper wire as direct as possible and lengthening the data
cable physically and electrically with ferrites, then adding surge
protection to that. It was the only way we could keep point of sale
terminals working at beach and pool bars down here in lightning
country.
One thing is certain the dirt is not "ground" in any "zero volts"
sense at any distance away.
That is probably the reason why steel conduit has a good reputation
for protecting data cable too as long as you use the raceway as ground
at both ends. That becomes your "fat wire".