Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? WIFI question

On 11/20/17 6:17 AM, Pat wrote:
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 15:06:48 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

Run the cable underground to avoid lightning impulse issues etc.

Running a cable underground does not always avoid lightning issues.
That is a common myth. Lightning may or may not affect an above
ground cable on its way to ground but it always ends up in the ground.
Depending on the local ground conductivity and other factors, it can
easily cause spikes in underground cables.

I've seen times when lightning literally bored a hole into the
ground until it
hit a wire we had buried. I don't know if it went further into the
ground or stopped
at the wire. There was no need to dig further.
Green corn stalks were fried in the area surrounding the hit.