Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? WIFI question

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:54:10 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 11/17/2017 4:33 PM, T wrote:
On 11/17/2017 02:18 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* I've noticed that the wifi signal to my shop is misbehaving - I
open the "status" window to monitor the data transfer rate , and as
soon as I initiate a data transfer by any means the rate drops
radically . Like from 130 Mb/s to 6.5 . I hooked up an access point
halfway between the wifi router and the comp (about 60 ft from router
to shop comp) with no improvement . The AP is a Cisco VEN601-ATÂ*
originally from an AT&T U-verse network , but the link and paired
lights both come on so I believe it's working . Is this drop in
transfer rate normal ? Caused by distance ? Maybe the inexpensive
wifi card I put in the computer ?

Â*Â* Comp is a home built , using an Asrock N68C-GS4FX motherboard ,
Phenom X4/2.3Ghz with 8 Gb of RAM , running Win7 Pro/64 and the wifi
card is made by Ralink .

Â*Â* --

Â*Â* Snag

Hi Terry,

Routers go bad ALL-THE-TIME.Â* I carry them with me as
they are an easy sale.Â* Routers are just too cheap to
be reliable.Â* (A reliable unit is in the $400 range).

1) how far away are you from the router?

2) have you directly (wired) plugged into to your
router to see if the issue persists?

-T

Â* About 60 feet , and the connection is flawless when wired . The
wireless router also feeds 2 laptops and 2 ROKU units inside the house
with no problems . I also have 2 desktop comps running on wired
connections from that same router . I don't think the router is the
problem ... and the shop comp didn't do this when I had it in the house
recently for maintenance .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Just a wild assed guess as an old computer guy. What are the chances
that the 130 number was a projection based on ping time and actual
data transfer is much slower.