Posted to comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows,alt.home.repair

Default Can corporations read your email with the corporate domain? Was: Who can read your email?

alt.home.repair added, because they have opinions about everything!

About email in general, not Eudora.

When you write to someone at his personal email address but one that
ends in a corporate domain, in this case two medical practices with 75
and more than 150 doctors respectively, what are the odds that email to
hir will a) be read as a matter of course by the network administrator
or worse yet, his medical supervisor, b) be scanned by software looking
for key words the management would wants to pursue (by reading more
emails, reviewing it with the doctor, asking why he's getting a
complaint, etc.) words like you SOB, screwed up, failed, unnecessary,
mistake, error, malpractice, and 200 others, c) be read by someone in
management whenever he had a notion to do so (like maybe someone else
had complained about the doctor and they want to see how many people
have grievances they haven't told the "management" about, or maybe
someone has a beef with one of the doctors and is looking for an excuse
to hurt him, d) any other level of company scrutiny, or e) are such
emails sometimes, usually, always actually private, between patient and
doctor.

Background: The first doctor fresh out of residency didn't ask me
enough questions and inconvenienced me, worried me, and took 10 or 20
hours of my time doing more research for 2 years, when if she'd only
asked one more question or told me one big side effect of the drug she
prescribed, I would have done things in a different order and saved all
that trouble. I read serious articles on the web about the drug before
starting to take it, but the fact that this side effect is thought to
never go away, even after you stop taking the drug, was not mentioned in
the articles. When I asked her a year later, she knew about that
though, but she tried to palm the question off on the dentist.

I'm annoyed and I want to tell her so she doesn't make the same mistake
again (though I suspect my GP who's in the same practice already told
her) but once warned, I doubt she'll ever do it again and I don't want
to get her in trouble with her practice. So I want her to be the only
one to read the email. I had planned to call her office and try to get
a truly private email, until I realized there were two such situations,
maybe 3, and I can also imagine reluctance from a secretary or even the
doctor to give out a personal email so i wanted some guide as to how
hard to push for one, or if it's not needed at all. I've considered
writing a real letter, you know, USPS, but that's a recipe for never
getting it done. It takes me quite a bit of time to write the email
correctly.

I have no complaint about the second one, but his practice has caused me
grief on 3 other occasions and on a continuing basis every time I need
any anesthesia for a procedure -- they insist someone bring me, stay
there the whole time, and take me home, about 5 hours. They won't let
the person leave and come back and won't let a taxi take me home.
I've considered having a taxi-driver pose as my friend, but then it's
about $180 iirc. I've found another very reputable practice that also
won't permit a taxi but just calls my ride when they're done and has him
come get me. 1 hour on his part, not 5. (30 minutes to get me, 30
minutes to take me home) I fully intend to explain to the doctor
while I'm likely changing doctors, but I'm not ready to tell the
practice yet. He can tell them if he wants.

There's a 3rd, come to think of it. Because of continued back pain, I
went to an orthopedist and it wasn't until after an MRI and at the end
of the second appointment before he said how much my being fat causes
this problem, and that was only after I brought it up. I knew weight
mattered but I didn't realize how much. (and after that I lost 20
pounds and half the pain went away and the half left isn't of the same
nature. It's not as bad.) I guess he didn't want to offend me, but I
know I'm fat and I know it's no secret to anyone who can see me. But
again, I don't want the practice to read my complaint.

(As to details for the first two cases, they're not a secret but I'm
trying to be brief.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2017 6:45 PM, micky wrote:

alt.home.repair added, because they have opinions about everything!

About email in general, not Eudora.

When you write to someone at his personal email address but one that
ends in a corporate domain, in this case two medical practices with 75
and more than 150 doctors respectively, what are the odds that email to
hir will a) be read as a matter of course by the network administrator
or worse yet, his medical supervisor, b) be scanned by software looking
for key words the management would wants to pursue

Where I worked was smaller than what you describe. i was the general
manger and I set up the email system so yes, I can read every incoming
email if I wanted to. I never really cared or bothered but it can be
done. Corporate email is never private.

[...]

Either tell her face to face or send her a snail mail letter and park
the envelope "Personal" or "Private" or "Confidential" and under HIPPA
rules they should respect your privacy.

I have no complaint about the second one, but his practice has caused me
grief on 3 other occasions and on a continuing basis every time I need
any anesthesia for a procedure -- they insist someone bring me, stay
there the whole time, and take me home, about 5 hours. They won't let
the person leave and come back and won't let a taxi take me home.
I've considered having a taxi-driver pose as my friend, but then it's
about $180 iirc. I've found another very reputable practice that also
won't permit a taxi but just calls my ride when they're done and has him
come get me.

This is common practice for good reason. Have you no friends? Pay a
teenager to go with you? One time I had my grandson go with me. The
other time my wife drove around the corner and I drove home from there.
In my case, they would call your ride when you were ready. Next week
I'll take my wife for a colonoscopy and I'll hang out and read a book.
She did the same for me but I drove home. Five hours is a long time to
wait for a routine procedure. Even when my wife had major surgery they
did not say I had to wait, though I did. She was not going home though.

There's a 3rd, come to think of it. Because of continued back pain, I
went to an orthopedist and it wasn't until after an MRI and at the end
of the second appointment before he said how much my being fat causes
this problem, and that was only after I brought it up. I knew weight
mattered but I didn't realize how much. (and after that I lost 20
pounds and half the pain went away and the half left isn't of the same
nature. It's not as bad.) I guess he didn't want to offend me, but I
know I'm fat and I know it's no secret to anyone who can see me. But
again, I don't want the practice to read my complaint.

I lost 15 pounds and it made a huge difference for my knees. Doc wants
me to lose another 15 but it is not easy to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 7:33:01 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/1/2017 6:45 PM, micky wrote:

alt.home.repair added, because they have opinions about everything!

About email in general, not Eudora.

When you write to someone at his personal email address but one that
ends in a corporate domain, in this case two medical practices with 75
and more than 150 doctors respectively, what are the odds that email to
hir will a) be read as a matter of course by the network administrator
or worse yet, his medical supervisor, b) be scanned by software looking
for key words the management would wants to pursue

Where I worked was smaller than what you describe. i was the general
manger and I set up the email system so yes, I can read every incoming
email if I wanted to. I never really cared or bothered but it can be
done. Corporate email is never private.

+1

It's not the practice at most corps to read employees email, but they have the right to, if they want to.

[...]

..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 16:40:03 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

It's not the practice at most corps to read employees email, but they have the right to, if they want to.

"Read their Email" is archaic as saying "wire tap". I would expect any
big company with a legal department might be scanning Email looking
for key words and phrases tho. This is just software. I also bet every
byte of communication on the corporate network is spinning on a disk
drive somewhere. I think the same thing about my AOL email. (or Gmail.
Yahoo or whatever)
That was what got Hillary in trouble. She was the only one with copies
of her Email (except possibly the person on the other end).
After Linda Tripp, I bet the Clintons have a non disclosure agreement
with their people that includes a virtual if not literal death
penalty.
Smack a few disk drives with a hammer and "there is no evidence to
support that allegation". ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2017 05:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This is common practice for good reason. Have you no friends? Pay a
teenager to go with you? One time I had my grandson go with me. The
other time my wife drove around the corner and I drove home from there.
In my case, they would call your ride when you were ready. Next week
I'll take my wife for a colonoscopy and I'll hang out and read a book.
She did the same for me but I drove home. Five hours is a long time to
wait for a routine procedure. Even when my wife had major surgery they
did not say I had to wait, though I did. She was not going home though.

Toward the end of his life George McGovern spent his summers down the
Bitterroot where he had a small bookstore. When I went in for an
operation that required someone to drive me home I took a cab. The
driver was familiar with the hospital gambit and remarked that his most
unnerving experience was picking up McGovern at the hospital. Not only
did McGovern bitch about the stupidity of the hospital regulations
through the entire trip but the driver could see the headlines if he got
into a fender bender with McGovern aboard.

I wasn't sure about the after effects of the anesthetic so I played
along. I did have to play twenty questions about who was going to stay
with me after the operation. I lied.

In another case a friend from work sprung me after an eye operation,
drove me back to my car and I took it from there. That was more awkward
since I was supposed to maintain a face down posture for three days.

I did the colonoscopy bit without the joy juice. I rather enjoyed the
video tour of my guts. The doctor was ex-military so while the request
to forgo anesthesia was unusual he was agreeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :

On 10/1/2017 6:45 PM, micky wrote:

alt.home.repair added, because they have opinions about everything!

About email in general, not Eudora.

When you write to someone at his personal email address but one that
ends in a corporate domain,

Stop right there, micky.

If it ends in a corporate domain, it's NOT his "personal email address", it's his *work* email
address.

And there is NO expectation of privacy there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 1 Oct 2017 19:32:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 10/1/2017 6:45 PM, micky wrote:

alt.home.repair added, because they have opinions about everything!

About email in general, not Eudora.

When you write to someone at his personal email address but one that
ends in a corporate domain, in this case two medical practices with 75
and more than 150 doctors respectively, what are the odds that email to
hir will a) be read as a matter of course by the network administrator
or worse yet, his medical supervisor, b) be scanned by software looking
for key words the management would wants to pursue

Where I worked was smaller than what you describe. i was the general
manger and I set up the email system so yes, I can read every incoming
email if I wanted to. I never really cared or bothered but it can be
done. Corporate email is never private.

I knew I heard that somewhere!

[...]

Either tell her face to face

Too much trouble for both her and me. I'd have to go there and she'd
have to take time, and at the same time. Plus there are 3 of them.

or send her a snail mail letter and park
the envelope "Personal" or "Private" or "Confidential" and under HIPPA
rules they should respect your privacy.

I'll try calling this week for private email addresses. I'll try to say
later if I could get them. For some reason I find writing letters to be
a lot of work, and each of the doctors has more to gain from this than I
do.

I have no complaint about the second one, but his practice has caused me
grief on 3 other occasions and on a continuing basis every time I need

The other 3 occasions were like this. 1) One time I was left in pain
from an earlier procedure (busting up a bladder stone or something
related) and it took them about a week to find an operating room or
whatever you call it to fix whatever went wrong the first time. That's
bad enough but when I was in the most pain, I called the office and the
secretary refused to take a message because of HIPPA. I dont' believe
that is the law. Rather I think their lawyers are being extra careful,
and they won't pay the extra premium for more insurance so their lawyers
could be more lenient.

I ended up faxing the office with the first line in caps "I WAIVE ALL MY
HIPPA RIGHTS." so they would have no excuse not to carry the piece of
paper to his office (for fear they might accidentally read it),

2) Another time I was in moderate pain but it was getting worse and I
didnt' want it to go higher over the weekend. I called, said I was in
pain, and they said my doctor wasn't in that day. What, I'm in love
with him? Why can't I see another doctor. (they have 75, all
urologists.) Okay, they agree to that, and when I come in some
nurse-type takes me to an examining room and asks questions. How much
does it hurt? A 5 out of ten. "That's not what you said when you
called this morning." Well they didnt' ask and I didn't say anything
about how much it hurt and it's been 2 hours and it might have changed
and who cares what I said. I have to prove to them I'm in pain?

And what did she do, She gave me a small bottle of Uribel pills, which
a) she said don't require a doctor, and b) they solved the problem. So
why did they grill me on the phone and in person.

3) Another time, my ride had been in an accident and was now scheduled
for physical therapy during my procedure. She called me in the
afternoon,and I called the office to explain about 3:58PM. The woman
who answered the phone had to check with someone, who seemed to be in
the same room, and the answer was she could drop me off and pick me up
later. But when we got there early Monday, that wasn't good enough. It
may be that the office closed while the phone was ringing and the
answering service picked up, and what they say doesn't count for
anything, but they didn't tell me they were the service.

So now I'm there and I know both the doctor and I don't want me to leave
without doing it -- he won't get paid -- and I make him come out to the
waiting room, and he says they have to have the ride waiting because
sometimes husbands or wives don't show up on time and they have no one
who is able to watch the patient after the procedure. I say, Why can't
I sit in the waiting room and if I fall out of the chair the
receptionist will see it (and the way the room was, she would). I point
out that my ride is no more medically skilled than the receptionist, so
if I'm able to sit in the car with my ride, why can't I sit in the
waiting room. I don't point out that 30 minutes after the ride and I
leave, he's going to leave me alone at my house because they'd have a
fit about that, but they never ask where I'm going, and they know I live
alone. Like many people. So it's not my safety but their liability.

And again it's the lawyers.

(This last one, she was just going to drop me off but for some reason
she parked and came up to the office maybe 15 minutes later, and I
didn't really want her to but she offered to skip her physical therapy.
So that ended the fight without resolving it.)

Federal law for decades has said that they can't discharge someone who
isnt' alert, I think it is, unless there is a competent adult there to
be with him. But all over the country, lawyers have decided to play it
safe, and expanded on the meaning of alert, so that they decide in
advance that no one meets that standard. And I've always been fully
alert, these 4 times and a colonoscopy (which didn't require anyone to
wait, but it was a couple years earlier.) . I could pass any test they
gave me but they've made up their mind that no one is alert enough.
The advantage of the anesthesia they use is that for most people
including me when they wake up they're wide awak. One time, when a
young friend waited for me, I had him drive me 5 blocks to a main street
wwhere I got a cab downtown because I wanted to watch a court trial
(which was postponed) and I ran around downtown for an hour, then took
the subway back home. .

Now I'm so angry again and the letter wrote itself, but I can't send it
to the management until I've found another doctor. Which should only
take an hour.

any anesthesia for a procedure -- they insist someone bring me, stay
there the whole time, and take me home, about 5 hours. They won't let
the person leave and come back and won't let a taxi take me home.
I've considered having a taxi-driver pose as my friend, but then it's
about $180 iirc. I've found another very reputable practice that also
won't permit a taxi but just calls my ride when they're done and has him
come get me.

This is common practice for good reason. Have you no friends? Pay a

Yes, but I've gotten each of them to do this once already, plus a couple
other times where all they had to do was pick me up. I think the fifth
time is coming up.

teenager to go with you? One time I had my grandson go with me. The

Don't know any teenagers. In the 20 or so houses around here where I
know the people, there are no teenagers, and none among my friends. Too
old I guess and either no kids or no grandchildren.

other time my wife drove around the corner and I drove home from there.
In my case, they would call your ride when you were ready. Next week

That would be fine. I'd have no trouble asking the same people if it
was like that.

I'll take my wife for a colonoscopy and I'll hang out and read a book.
She did the same for me but I drove home. Five hours is a long time to
wait for a routine procedure.

It's 20 minutes to come get me, 30 minutes to get there, and 10 minutes
say to park and go upstairs to make an even hour. IIRC they want me
there an hour in advance, before they actually start, and it takes 60
minutes and another 30 or 40 before I wake up. As is typical, once I
wake up I'm wide awake then. , Then an hour to take me home and go back
to wherever they want to be. So that's 4:40

Even when my wife had major surgery they
did not say I had to wait, though I did.

Good for you. I'm sure she appreciated it. And the place that does it
your way is a famous hospital here. However the practice with this
policy controls at at least one other respected hospital, where I had
one procedure, and afaik several other hospitals. But except for that
one time, I think it's been done at a non-hospital surgical place, sort
of like where Joan Rivers died.

She was not going home though.

Recovery time. I hope she's fine now.

There's a 3rd, come to think of it. Because of continued back pain, I
went to an orthopedist and it wasn't until after an MRI and at the end
of the second appointment before he said how much my being fat causes
this problem, and that was only after I brought it up. I knew weight
mattered but I didn't realize how much. (and after that I lost 20
pounds and half the pain went away and the half left isn't of the same
nature. It's not as bad.) I guess he didn't want to offend me, but I
know I'm fat and I know it's no secret to anyone who can see me. But
again, I don't want the practice to read my complaint.

There was an NPR segment about how doctors are reluctant to discuss
weight with patients, even if the patients bring it up, and they fear if
they do, the patients won't come back. A lot of hits on the topic:
https://www.google.com/search?q=doct...utf-8&oe=utf-8

When I heard about this, my attitude to the doctor above softened, but
for his good and possibly for future patients, I still think I should
tell him.

But I don't want his manager to know. My mother had the same attitude.
That's probably where I got it.

I lost 15 pounds and it made a huge difference for my knees. Doc wants
me to lose another 15 but it is not easy to do.

It sure isn't. My friend can't make up her mind, but I might be going
on a trip for 2 or 3 weeks with a woman 15 years younger than I, but
more importantly, she walks 90 minutes 4 or 5 times a week. I'll never
be able to keep up with her at her max but I don't want to be so slow I
drive her crazy. (I'm going on the trip regardless of whether she
comes. )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's not the practice at most corps to read employees email, but they have the right to, if they want to.

I'm going to assume the worst. Better safe than sorry. Of course that is
just what drives their policy that I object to.

"Read their Email" is archaic as saying "wire tap". I would expect any
big company with a legal department might be scanning Email looking

I'm sure they have a legal department. It's the lawyers who have made
the rules causing the problem. I'm not generally against lawyers**, but
this is inconveniencing ME.

**And one of the two things I learned in my attempt at law school was
that were it not for the threat of a lawsuit, people would be much more
negligent than they are now, which is bad enough. It's insurance
companies that inspect workplaces and insist they are rather safe.

for key words and phrases tho. This is just software. I also bet every
byte of communication on the corporate network is spinning on a disk
drive somewhere. I think the same thing about my AOL email. (or Gmail.
Yahoo or whatever)

Not only that. They don't even want me emailing the doctor. Instead
they have a "portal", a web page where I can write messages, but when I
email, I have a copy and they have a copy. With the webpage, they store
my email and their answers where I can see it, but only as long as they
want to. If trouble is brewing, and a lawsuit, they can delete them and
it will take a subpoena to get a copy from the archives. So I keep my
own copy of everything I post there. A couple of the doctors, in
different practices, have given me their direct email, my gp and the
urologist (who said it was against the rules).

That was what got Hillary in trouble. She was the only one with copies
of her Email (except possibly the person on the other end).
After Linda Tripp, I bet the Clintons have a non disclosure agreement
with their people that includes a virtual if not literal death
penalty.
Smack a few disk drives with a hammer and "there is no evidence to
support that allegation". ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 2 Oct 2017 02:39:43 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :

On 10/1/2017 6:45 PM, micky wrote:

alt.home.repair added, because they have opinions about everything!

About email in general, not Eudora.

When you write to someone at his personal email address but one that
ends in a corporate domain,

Stop right there, micky.

If it ends in a corporate domain, it's NOT his "personal email address", it's his *work* email
address.

And there is NO expectation of privacy there.

Okay, I get your point. Thanks.

But just to affirm my ability to use Engish, it's personal in that it's
assigned to him, the person, Dr. Joe Shmoe, and not the Urology Dept. or
the Calvert St. Office, or Chairman of the Urology Dept, or webmaster or
editor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/02/2017 12:44 AM, micky wrote:
So it's not my safety but their liability.

And again it's the lawyers.

It's not the lawyers, it's the insurance fraudsters and the jurors.

The jurors are the ones that award the outrageously high settlements...and then those same stupid jurors wonder why the cost of insurance is so high.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

But just to affirm my ability to use Engish, it's personal in that it's
assigned to him, the person, Dr. Joe Shmoe, and not the Urology Dept. or
the Calvert St. Office, or Chairman of the Urology Dept, or webmaster or
editor.

The word you are looking for is individual, not personal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You sure can turn a simple thing into a big deal. You have a suggestion
for improvement. It's work related. Just send it to her email at work.
The chances that the employer is sitting there reading individual
emails is small. And it's work related, you claim she made a mistake
that you want to prevent happening again in the future. Most people
would probably send that to the employer to begin with, especially if it's
a medical related thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 18:45:33 -0400, in
, micky
wrote:

[...]

The admins of the email server have the ability to read the email.
Whether they will or do is something no one but they can tell you.

[...]

If you're not motivated enough to write a letter, then it can't be all
that important. I suggest you find something else to obsess over.

I have no complaint about the second one, but his practice has caused me
grief on 3 other occasions and on a continuing basis every time I need
any anesthesia for a procedure -- they insist someone bring me, stay
there the whole time, and take me home, about 5 hours. They won't let
the person leave and come back and won't let a taxi take me home.
I've considered having a taxi-driver pose as my friend, but then it's
about $180 iirc. I've found another very reputable practice that also
won't permit a taxi but just calls my ride when they're done and has him
come get me. 1 hour on his part, not 5. (30 minutes to get me, 30
minutes to take me home) I fully intend to explain to the doctor
while I'm likely changing doctors, but I'm not ready to tell the
practice yet. He can tell them if he wants.

As you say below, you're obese. Quite obese. That means that
anesthesia wears off slowly. The one doctor is being very cautious
because he's concerned about patients who say someone is coming for
them when they intend to call a cab... which creates liability for the
doctor because the cab driver isn't likely to help them from the cab
to their home. In a litigous society no one is responsible for his own
actions so the doctor is assuring that responsibility doesn't fall on
him. If that "inconveniences" you or causes you "grief," too bad. The
reason doctor #1 doesn't want to call your ride (vs having him there
the whole time) is because he can't prevent you from leaving if the
ride doesn't come. Preventing you from leaving when you want to has a
name under the law - it's called kidnapping. If your ride is there,
his responsibility for you disappears as soon as you and your ride
head for the door.

There's a 3rd, come to think of it. Because of continued back pain, I
went to an orthopedist and it wasn't until after an MRI and at the end
of the second appointment before he said how much my being fat causes
this problem, and that was only after I brought it up. I knew weight
mattered but I didn't realize how much. (and after that I lost 20
pounds and half the pain went away and the half left isn't of the same
nature. It's not as bad.) I guess he didn't want to offend me, but I
know I'm fat and I know it's no secret to anyone who can see me. But
again, I don't want the practice to read my complaint.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. He didn't tell you soon enough
that your obesity was a contributing factor to bone/joint pain? Get
serious!

(As to details for the first two cases, they're not a secret but I'm
trying to be brief.

You failed miserably.

My advice? Find another doctor... a psychologist... maybe a
psychiatrist. Learn to get over minor events that "inconvenience" you
or "cause you grief."

--
Jim H
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Are you a doctor? Sadly that sounds like the attitude of far too
many doctors. Obviously other doctors have more respect for their
patients time, like the doctor who calls your ride when they are
actually needed, instead of holding them hostage for 5 hours.
This can be a serious problem for the elderly, that have to find
someone, ask a favor, to get to treatment. You minimize it, like
it's trivial. A person can ask a neighbor for 30 mins of their time
and get positive results, be able to use them multiple times.
Have them tied up for 5+ hours and you may run out of rides before
long.

The
reason doctor #1 doesn't want to call your ride (vs having him there
the whole time) is because he can't prevent you from leaving if the
ride doesn't come. Preventing you from leaving when you want to has a
name under the law - it's called kidnapping. If your ride is there,
his responsibility for you disappears as soon as you and your ride
head for the door.

I'm sure in today's world, a legal argument can easily be made that
the doctor is still liable if something happens. Just claim that
Micky was still under the effects of anesthesia, never should have
been released. A friend is no more qualified to access a person's
condition or assure a safe trip home than a taxi. And obviously this
opinion isn't universal, as Micky says another practice has a
very different process.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2017 12:13 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Are you a doctor? Sadly that sounds like the attitude of far too
many doctors. Obviously other doctors have more respect for their
patients time, like the doctor who calls your ride when they are
actually needed, instead of holding them hostage for 5 hours.
This can be a serious problem for the elderly, that have to find
someone, ask a favor, to get to treatment. You minimize it, like
it's trivial. A person can ask a neighbor for 30 mins of their time
and get positive results, be able to use them multiple times.
Have them tied up for 5+ hours and you may run out of rides before
long.

If I was the driver, I'd wait until the procedure would be started, the
go to the restroom and show up 4 hours later.

The medical center we use is much more sensible. They take the driver's
phone number and call back when they are going to need you. They used to
give you a pager to take with you. If you wait, they have a waiting room
with TV, computers, refrigerator, microwave.

Posted to comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows,alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

[...]

Micky you sure live a complicated life! You go to these croakers why? You
want an email; you ain't going to get it. You should have sent yourself a
copy. I think you need a lawsuit but you don't want to offend the dokter?

No corporate email is secure, after all it's their machines. GFretwell sums
it up.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 2 Oct 2017 04:33:33 -0400, duh
wrote:

On 10/02/2017 12:44 AM, micky wrote:
So it's not my safety but their liability.

And again it's the lawyers.

It's not the lawyers, it's the insurance fraudsters and the jurors.

The jurors find for the plaintiff, but then it's the lawyers who advise
medical practices in the future who say, Go beyond what the last verdict
required. Better safe than sorry. Don't let him leave no matter how
he feels.

The jurors are the ones that award the outrageously high settlements...and then those same stupid jurors wonder why the cost of insurance is so high.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't think they will tell me.

[...]

That reminds me of the saying, If you forgot it it can't be important.
I think they are both baloney.

If email didn't exist, I might well write letters, but it's easier to
make a phone call to a secretary and write an email than to write one
postal letter.

I suggest you find something else to obsess over.

And I'm not obsessing. I wrote one short email and one long one.
Composing the long one caused me to writes the letter I will send to the
2nd doctor. I'm glad it's written now.

I have no complaint about the second one, but his practice has caused me
grief on 3 other occasions and on a continuing basis every time I need
any anesthesia for a procedure -- they insist someone bring me, stay
there the whole time, and take me home, about 5 hours. They won't let
the person leave and come back and won't let a taxi take me home.
I've considered having a taxi-driver pose as my friend, but then it's
about $180 iirc. I've found another very reputable practice that also
won't permit a taxi but just calls my ride when they're done and has him
come get me. 1 hour on his part, not 5. (30 minutes to get me, 30
minutes to take me home) I fully intend to explain to the doctor
while I'm likely changing doctors, but I'm not ready to tell the
practice yet. He can tell them if he wants.

As you say below, you're obese. Quite obese.

Actually I think I'm only obese.

That means that
anesthesia wears off slowly.

When I wake up, I'm wide awake within 2 minutes. And they have the same
rule for everyone, fat or not.

The one doctor is being very cautious
because he's concerned about patients who say someone is coming for
them when they intend to call a cab... which creates liability for the
doctor because the cab driver isn't likely to help them from the cab
to their home. In a litigous society no one is responsible for his own
actions so the doctor is assuring that responsibility doesn't fall on
him. If that "inconveniences" you or causes you "grief," too bad. The
reason doctor #1 doesn't want to call your ride (vs having him there
the whole time) is because he can't prevent you from leaving if the
ride doesn't come. Preventing you from leaving when you want to has a
name under the law - it's called kidnapping.

That probably is a good part of the reason they want the ride there the
whole time, but like I say, a major hospital in town doesn't have that
rule, so the rule must not be thought essential by all lawyers, and i'm
going where the rule suits me. Plus they've annoyed me for the other
three reasons too. Usually it's three strikes and you're out but I've
given them four.

[...]

He woudn't have said it at all if I hadn't brought it up. If he'd said
it at the first appt. I might have avoided the MRI, which Medicare and
the supplemental paid for, raising the insurance costs for all of you.

Get serious!

Look at the link in the previous post.

(As to details for the first two cases, they're not a secret but I'm
trying to be brief.

You failed miserably.

True. I wrote that line earlier.

My advice? Find another doctor... a psychologist... maybe a
psychiatrist.

Screw you.

Learn to get over minor events that "inconvenience" you
or "cause you grief."

So how come my post bothered you so much you had to write a details
reply. Learn to ignore stuff like this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 2 Oct 2017 09:13:54 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

As you say below, you're obese. Quite obese. That means that
anesthesia wears off slowly. The one doctor is being very cautious
because he's concerned about patients who say someone is coming for
them when they intend to call a cab... which creates liability for the
doctor because the cab driver isn't likely to help them from the cab
to their home.

They don't help me from the procedure room to the waiting room. I guess
they check me out some when I wake up but I've done this 4 times and I
just get up and walk with no one near enough to help me.

In a litigous society no one is responsible for his own
actions so the doctor is assuring that responsibility doesn't fall on
him. If that "inconveniences" you or causes you "grief," too bad.

But it's not 'too bad'. I can change doctors. I hope if the first one
gives the second a detailed appraisal, and I'm sure he will, he won't
have to repeat much.

Are you a doctor? Sadly that sounds like the attitude of far too
many doctors. Obviously other doctors have more respect for their
patients time, like the doctor who calls your ride when they are
actually needed, instead of holding them hostage for 5 hours.
This can be a serious problem for the elderly, that have to find
someone, ask a favor, to get to treatment. You minimize it, like
it's trivial. A person can ask a neighbor for 30 mins of their time
and get positive results, be able to use them multiple times.
Have them tied up for 5+ hours and you may run out of rides before
long.

Yep.

The
reason doctor #1 doesn't want to call your ride (vs having him there
the whole time) is because he can't prevent you from leaving if the
ride doesn't come. Preventing you from leaving when you want to has a
name under the law - it's called kidnapping. If your ride is there,
his responsibility for you disappears as soon as you and your ride
head for the door.

I'm sure in today's world, a legal argument can easily be made that
the doctor is still liable if something happens.

I've sort of wondered why they don't ask who will be there when I get
home, becuase I've read that that's an issue.

Just claim that
Micky was still under the effects of anesthesia, never should have
been released. A friend is no more qualified to access a person's
condition or assure a safe trip home than a taxi.

Right. One time a woman who was new to town drove me home. If I'd
actually gotten sick, a taxi-driver would know much better than she
where a hospital was.

And obviously this
opinion isn't universal, as Micky says another practice has a
very different process.

Now I want to switch doctors just to get more information for this
thread!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 2 Oct 2017 13:38:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 10/2/2017 12:13 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Are you a doctor? Sadly that sounds like the attitude of far too
many doctors. Obviously other doctors have more respect for their
patients time, like the doctor who calls your ride when they are
actually needed, instead of holding them hostage for 5 hours.
This can be a serious problem for the elderly, that have to find
someone, ask a favor, to get to treatment. You minimize it, like
it's trivial. A person can ask a neighbor for 30 mins of their time
and get positive results, be able to use them multiple times.
Have them tied up for 5+ hours and you may run out of rides before
long.

If I was the driver, I'd wait until the procedure would be started, the
go to the restroom and show up 4 hours later.

Good idea. I've thought a lot about telling him to do that -- it would
be fine with me -- but I keep thinking they won't treat me at all next
time**. Sort of like grammar school discipline.

**Last time was supposed to last me for the rest of my life, no matter
how long that was. He says the current situation is very unusual.

The medical center we use is much more sensible. They take the driver's
phone number and call back when they are going to need you. They used to
give you a pager to take with you. If you wait, they have a waiting room
with TV, computers, refrigerator, microwave.

Sounds nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 02 Oct 2017 08:51:53 -0600, Arthur Conan
Doyle wrote:

micky wrote:

But just to affirm my ability to use Engish, it's personal in that it's
assigned to him, the person, Dr. Joe Shmoe, and not the Urology Dept. or
the Calvert St. Office, or Chairman of the Urology Dept, or webmaster or
editor.

The word you are looking for is individual, not personal.

You're right. That's better.

BTw, I love your books. What is Basil Rathbone really like?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/02/2017 12:44 AM, micky wrote:
So it's not my safety but their liability.

And again it's the lawyers.

It's not the lawyers, it's the insurance fraudsters and the jurors.

The jurors find for the plaintiff, but then it's the lawyers who advise
medical practices in the future who say, Go beyond what the last verdict
required. Better safe than sorry. Don't let him leave no matter how
he feels.
The jurors are the ones that award the outrageously high settlements...and then those same stupid jurors wonder why the cost of insurance is so high.

-

It's a chain reaction started by a large jury award. Corporations are just reacting by putting procedures in place so it (hopefully) doesn't happen again.Â* The taxpayers pay the price.