Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Can corporations read your email with the corporate domain? Was: Who can read your email?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 02 Oct 2017 15:52:42 +0000,
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 18:45:33 -0400, in
, micky
wrote:

alt.home.repair added, because they have opinions about everything!

When you write to someone at his personal email address but one that
ends in a corporate domain, in this case two medical practices with 75
and more than 150 doctors respectively, what are the odds that email to
hir will a) be read as a matter of course by the network administrator
or worse yet, his medical supervisor, b) be scanned by software looking
for key words the management would wants to pursue (by reading more
emails, reviewing it with the doctor, asking why he's getting a
complaint, etc.) words like you SOB, screwed up, failed, unnecessary,
mistake, error, malpractice, and 200 others, c) be read by someone in
management whenever he had a notion to do so (like maybe someone else
had complained about the doctor and they want to see how many people
have grievances they haven't told the "management" about, or maybe
someone has a beef with one of the doctors and is looking for an excuse
to hurt him, d) any other level of company scrutiny, or e) are such
emails sometimes, usually, always actually private, between patient and
doctor.

The admins of the email server have the ability to read the email.
Whether they will or do is something no one but they can tell you.

I don't think they will tell me.

Background: The first doctor fresh out of residency didn't ask me
enough questions and inconvenienced me, worried me, and took 10 or 20
hours of my time doing more research for 2 years, when if she'd only
asked one more question or told me one big side effect of the drug she
prescribed, I would have done things in a different order and saved all
that trouble. I read serious articles on the web about the drug before
starting to take it, but the fact that this side effect is thought to
never go away, even after you stop taking the drug, was not mentioned in
the articles. When I asked her a year later, she knew about that
though, but she tried to palm the question off on the dentist.

I'm annoyed and I want to tell her so she doesn't make the same mistake
again (though I suspect my GP who's in the same practice already told
her) but once warned, I doubt she'll ever do it again and I don't want
to get her in trouble with her practice. So I want her to be the only
one to read the email. I had planned to call her office and try to get
a truly private email, until I realized there were two such situations,
maybe 3, and I can also imagine reluctance from a secretary or even the
doctor to give out a personal email so i wanted some guide as to how
hard to push for one, or if it's not needed at all. I've considered
writing a real letter, you know, USPS, but that's a recipe for never
getting it done. It takes me quite a bit of time to write the email
correctly.

If you're not motivated enough to write a letter, then it can't be all
that important.

That reminds me of the saying, If you forgot it it can't be important.
I think they are both baloney.

If email didn't exist, I might well write letters, but it's easier to
make a phone call to a secretary and write an email than to write one
postal letter.

I suggest you find something else to obsess over.

And I'm not obsessing. I wrote one short email and one long one.
Composing the long one caused me to writes the letter I will send to the
2nd doctor. I'm glad it's written now.

I have no complaint about the second one, but his practice has caused me
grief on 3 other occasions and on a continuing basis every time I need
any anesthesia for a procedure -- they insist someone bring me, stay
there the whole time, and take me home, about 5 hours. They won't let
the person leave and come back and won't let a taxi take me home.
I've considered having a taxi-driver pose as my friend, but then it's
about $180 iirc. I've found another very reputable practice that also
won't permit a taxi but just calls my ride when they're done and has him
come get me. 1 hour on his part, not 5. (30 minutes to get me, 30
minutes to take me home) I fully intend to explain to the doctor
while I'm likely changing doctors, but I'm not ready to tell the
practice yet. He can tell them if he wants.

As you say below, you're obese. Quite obese.

Actually I think I'm only obese.

That means that
anesthesia wears off slowly.

When I wake up, I'm wide awake within 2 minutes. And they have the same
rule for everyone, fat or not.

The one doctor is being very cautious
because he's concerned about patients who say someone is coming for
them when they intend to call a cab... which creates liability for the
doctor because the cab driver isn't likely to help them from the cab
to their home. In a litigous society no one is responsible for his own
actions so the doctor is assuring that responsibility doesn't fall on
him. If that "inconveniences" you or causes you "grief," too bad. The
reason doctor #1 doesn't want to call your ride (vs having him there
the whole time) is because he can't prevent you from leaving if the
ride doesn't come. Preventing you from leaving when you want to has a
name under the law - it's called kidnapping.

That probably is a good part of the reason they want the ride there the
whole time, but like I say, a major hospital in town doesn't have that
rule, so the rule must not be thought essential by all lawyers, and i'm
going where the rule suits me. Plus they've annoyed me for the other
three reasons too. Usually it's three strikes and you're out but I've
given them four.

If your ride is there,
his responsibility for you disappears as soon as you and your ride
head for the door.

There's a 3rd, come to think of it. Because of continued back pain, I
went to an orthopedist and it wasn't until after an MRI and at the end
of the second appointment before he said how much my being fat causes
this problem, and that was only after I brought it up. I knew weight
mattered but I didn't realize how much. (and after that I lost 20
pounds and half the pain went away and the half left isn't of the same
nature. It's not as bad.) I guess he didn't want to offend me, but I
know I'm fat and I know it's no secret to anyone who can see me. But
again, I don't want the practice to read my complaint.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. He didn't tell you soon enough
that your obesity was a contributing factor to bone/joint pain?

He woudn't have said it at all if I hadn't brought it up. If he'd said
it at the first appt. I might have avoided the MRI, which Medicare and
the supplemental paid for, raising the insurance costs for all of you.

Get serious!

Look at the link in the previous post.

(As to details for the first two cases, they're not a secret but I'm
trying to be brief.

You failed miserably.

True. I wrote that line earlier.

My advice? Find another doctor... a psychologist... maybe a
psychiatrist.

Screw you.

Learn to get over minor events that "inconvenience" you
or "cause you grief."

So how come my post bothered you so much you had to write a details
reply. Learn to ignore stuff like this.