Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Can corporations read your email with the corporate domain? Was: Who can read your email?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 2 Oct 2017 09:13:54 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

As you say below, you're obese. Quite obese. That means that
anesthesia wears off slowly. The one doctor is being very cautious
because he's concerned about patients who say someone is coming for
them when they intend to call a cab... which creates liability for the
doctor because the cab driver isn't likely to help them from the cab
to their home.

They don't help me from the procedure room to the waiting room. I guess
they check me out some when I wake up but I've done this 4 times and I
just get up and walk with no one near enough to help me.

In a litigous society no one is responsible for his own
actions so the doctor is assuring that responsibility doesn't fall on
him. If that "inconveniences" you or causes you "grief," too bad.

But it's not 'too bad'. I can change doctors. I hope if the first one
gives the second a detailed appraisal, and I'm sure he will, he won't
have to repeat much.

Are you a doctor? Sadly that sounds like the attitude of far too
many doctors. Obviously other doctors have more respect for their
patients time, like the doctor who calls your ride when they are
actually needed, instead of holding them hostage for 5 hours.
This can be a serious problem for the elderly, that have to find
someone, ask a favor, to get to treatment. You minimize it, like
it's trivial. A person can ask a neighbor for 30 mins of their time
and get positive results, be able to use them multiple times.
Have them tied up for 5+ hours and you may run out of rides before
long.

Yep.

The
reason doctor #1 doesn't want to call your ride (vs having him there
the whole time) is because he can't prevent you from leaving if the
ride doesn't come. Preventing you from leaving when you want to has a
name under the law - it's called kidnapping. If your ride is there,
his responsibility for you disappears as soon as you and your ride
head for the door.

I'm sure in today's world, a legal argument can easily be made that
the doctor is still liable if something happens.

I've sort of wondered why they don't ask who will be there when I get
home, becuase I've read that that's an issue.

Just claim that
Micky was still under the effects of anesthesia, never should have
been released. A friend is no more qualified to access a person's
condition or assure a safe trip home than a taxi.

Right. One time a woman who was new to town drove me home. If I'd
actually gotten sick, a taxi-driver would know much better than she
where a hospital was.

And obviously this
opinion isn't universal, as Micky says another practice has a
very different process.

Now I want to switch doctors just to get more information for this
thread!