Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Can corporations read your email with the corporate domain? Was:Who can read your email?

On 10/1/2017 6:45 PM, micky wrote:

alt.home.repair added, because they have opinions about everything!

About email in general, not Eudora.

When you write to someone at his personal email address but one that
ends in a corporate domain, in this case two medical practices with 75
and more than 150 doctors respectively, what are the odds that email to
hir will a) be read as a matter of course by the network administrator
or worse yet, his medical supervisor, b) be scanned by software looking
for key words the management would wants to pursue

Where I worked was smaller than what you describe. i was the general
manger and I set up the email system so yes, I can read every incoming
email if I wanted to. I never really cared or bothered but it can be
done. Corporate email is never private.

Background: The first doctor fresh out of residency didn't ask me
enough questions and inconvenienced me, worried me, and took 10 or 20
hours of my time doing more research for 2 years, when if she'd only
asked one more question or told me one big side effect of the drug she
prescribed, I would have done things in a different order and saved all
that trouble. I read serious articles on the web about the drug before
starting to take it, but the fact that this side effect is thought to
never go away, even after you stop taking the drug, was not mentioned in
the articles. When I asked her a year later, she knew about that
though, but she tried to palm the question off on the dentist.

I'm annoyed and I want to tell her so she doesn't make the same mistake
again (though I suspect my GP who's in the same practice already told
her) but once warned, I doubt she'll ever do it again and I don't want
to get her in trouble with her practice.

Either tell her face to face or send her a snail mail letter and park
the envelope "Personal" or "Private" or "Confidential" and under HIPPA
rules they should respect your privacy.

I have no complaint about the second one, but his practice has caused me
grief on 3 other occasions and on a continuing basis every time I need
any anesthesia for a procedure -- they insist someone bring me, stay
there the whole time, and take me home, about 5 hours. They won't let
the person leave and come back and won't let a taxi take me home.
I've considered having a taxi-driver pose as my friend, but then it's
about $180 iirc. I've found another very reputable practice that also
won't permit a taxi but just calls my ride when they're done and has him
come get me.

This is common practice for good reason. Have you no friends? Pay a
teenager to go with you? One time I had my grandson go with me. The
other time my wife drove around the corner and I drove home from there.
In my case, they would call your ride when you were ready. Next week
I'll take my wife for a colonoscopy and I'll hang out and read a book.
She did the same for me but I drove home. Five hours is a long time to
wait for a routine procedure. Even when my wife had major surgery they
did not say I had to wait, though I did. She was not going home though.

There's a 3rd, come to think of it. Because of continued back pain, I
went to an orthopedist and it wasn't until after an MRI and at the end
of the second appointment before he said how much my being fat causes
this problem, and that was only after I brought it up. I knew weight
mattered but I didn't realize how much. (and after that I lost 20
pounds and half the pain went away and the half left isn't of the same
nature. It's not as bad.) I guess he didn't want to offend me, but I
know I'm fat and I know it's no secret to anyone who can see me. But
again, I don't want the practice to read my complaint.

I lost 15 pounds and it made a huge difference for my knees. Doc wants
me to lose another 15 but it is not easy to do.