Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Overhead Kitchen Light Fixture And LED's Question

Hi,

Have to replace a Very old overhead kitchen light fixture
which uses two 60 W incandscent bulbs.

Seems like just about everything I can find that looks anything
like what we now have use LED's.

Guess it depends on the fixture, but in general is it
possible, or safe, to probably use incandescents in them ?

Too much heat, or... possibly ?

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 6:11:54 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace a Very old overhead kitchen light fixture
which uses two 60 W incandscent bulbs.

Seems like just about everything I can find that looks anything
like what we now have use LED's.

Guess it depends on the fixture, but in general is it
possible, or safe, to probably use incandescents in them ?

Too much heat, or... possibly ?

Bob

What is written on the label stuck on the fixture somewhere? The sticker may be on the back of the fixture and should indicate the wattage of the bulbs the fixture is rated for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Stickler Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2017 8:09 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 6:11:54 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace a Very old overhead kitchen light fixture
which uses two 60 W incandscent bulbs.

Seems like just about everything I can find that looks anything
like what we now have use LED's.

Guess it depends on the fixture, but in general is it
possible, or safe, to probably use incandescents in them ?

Too much heat, or... possibly ?

Bob

What is written on the label stuck on the fixture somewhere? The sticker may be on the back of the fixture and should indicate the wattage of the bulbs the fixture is rated for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Stickler Monster

That is usually what they say. I have an old kitchen fixture for 4
bulbs calling for 60 watt but we never used more than 2 bulbs and it now
has been in use for about a year with 2 75 watt equivalent LED's which
actually use only 14 watts. Now that the 75 watt equivalent LED's are
available at reasonable cost, I've been replacing all burned out 60 watt
incandescents with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2017 7:11 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace a Very old overhead kitchen light fixture
which uses two 60 W incandscent bulbs.

Seems like just about everything I can find that looks anything
like what we now have use LED's.

Guess it depends on the fixture, but in general is it
possible, or safe, to probably use incandescents in them ?

Too much heat, or... possibly ?

Bob

They use LED because it is by far the more sensible way to light a
kitchen. I hope you have good under counter lights if you are using two
60W for the kitchen.

The fixture should be marked with a rating for the bulbs you can use.
Heat is a factor, especially if enclosed.

I'm considering changing our kitchen fixture to something using LED
lights. I'd have the "daylight" bulbs for the brightness they give in a
work area. In our bathrooms we have over the mirror fixtures that use
three of the 60W equivalent LED bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/23/2017 07:11 AM, Bob wrote:
Guess it depends on the fixture, but in general is it
possible, or safe, to probably use incandescents in them ?

-

Why do you want to make your electric meter spin faster?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 10:06:54 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/23/2017 7:11 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace a Very old overhead kitchen light fixture
which uses two 60 W incandscent bulbs.

Seems like just about everything I can find that looks anything
like what we now have use LED's.

Guess it depends on the fixture, but in general is it
possible, or safe, to probably use incandescents in them ?

Too much heat, or... possibly ?

Bob

They use LED because it is by far the more sensible way to light a
kitchen. I hope you have good under counter lights if you are using two
60W for the kitchen.

The fixture should be marked with a rating for the bulbs you can use.
Heat is a factor, especially if enclosed.

+1

And if it's LED, I'd doubt it even has sockets for incandescents.

I'm considering changing our kitchen fixture to something using LED
lights. I'd have the "daylight" bulbs for the brightness they give in a
work area. In our bathrooms we have over the mirror fixtures that use
three of the 60W equivalent LED bulbs.

Recessed ceiling lights here in the kitchen and I recently replaced
them with LED. Works great for the kitchen, no problems. I had
converted to CFL and they were acceptable, but the light from the LEDs
is much better and instant on.

The only place LEDs sucked was if you have to dim them. When you
turned them down enough, instead of the incandescent warm effect,
you got a nasty cold look. But now Philips makes warm glow ones
that when dimmed go orange/red, look just like an incandescent.
I was very impressed with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The wattage limitations are usually due to heat production. These fixtures are designed to handle only a limited amount of heat. Since LED systems use significantly less power, they generate less heat. Using a 60W equivalent LED lamp in a fixture designed for a 60W bulb is fine. Similarly, you can use a 100W equivalent bulb if you want. Even these only consume 13W or so which will generate much less heat than a single 60W bulb.

Also, look carefully at the fixture. Some come with LED strips rather than removable bulbs.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2017 4:11 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace a Very old overhead kitchen light fixture
which uses two 60 W incandscent bulbs.

Seems like just about everything I can find that looks anything
like what we now have use LED's.

Guess it depends on the fixture, but in general is it
possible, or safe, to probably use incandescents in them ?

Too much heat, or... possibly ?

Bob

The other thing to watch is when using CFLs or LEDs in closed
incandescent lights. They will likely overheat in a closed fixture,
decreasing their life. I put a spacer on one fixture to open up a small
gap between the glass and metal base on one fixture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/17 6:11 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace a Very old overhead kitchen light fixture
which uses two 60 W incandscent bulbs.

Seems like just about everything I can find that looks anything
like what we now have use LED's.

Guess it depends on the fixture, but in general is it
possible, or safe, to probably use incandescents in them ?

Too much heat, or... possibly ?

Bob

I couldn't find it on the Ace Hardware website. The local
store has flush mount
LED fixtures that just screw into the existing incandescent fixture. It
looks like one screws the fixture in to the socket then adjusts the
fixture against the ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 8:02:32 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
On 9/23/2017 4:11 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace a Very old overhead kitchen light fixture
which uses two 60 W incandscent bulbs.

Seems like just about everything I can find that looks anything
like what we now have use LED's.

Guess it depends on the fixture, but in general is it
possible, or safe, to probably use incandescents in them ?

Too much heat, or... possibly ?

Bob

The other thing to watch is when using CFLs or LEDs in closed
incandescent lights. They will likely overheat in a closed fixture,
decreasing their life. I put a spacer on one fixture to open up a small
gap between the glass and metal base on one fixture.

It's hard to imaging how putting an LED that uses 14W in an enclosure
that previously housed a 100W is going to result in overheating.
Some early CFLs had heat problems, I saw some that said not to
install them upside down, presumably for that reason. But I have
them in ceiling fixtures in the garage, no problems. And I have a
CFL inside one of those round globe fixtures on the bottom of a fan
over my stairs that's on every night, it's been up there for years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?

Too much heat, or... possibly ?

Bob

The other thing to watch is when using CFLs or LEDs in
closed incandescent lights. They will likely overheat in a
closed fixture, decreasing their life. I put a spacer on
one fixture to open up a small gap between the glass and
metal base on one fixture.

I replaced a 60w old style bulb with a 60w LED in a closed
ceiling light fixture and it is noticeably cooler with the
LED.
phil k.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/23/2017 09:56 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

It's hard to imaging how putting an LED that uses 14W in an enclosure
that previously housed a 100W is going to result in overheating.
Some early CFLs had heat problems, I saw some that said not to
install them upside down, presumably for that reason. But I have
them in ceiling fixtures in the garage, no problems. And I have a
CFL inside one of those round globe fixtures on the bottom of a fan
over my stairs that's on every night, it's been up there for years.

Both CFL and LED lights contain electronic components, which are
sensitive to heat.

I have a CFL in an enclosed fixture over my stove. It's been there for
several years. I expect to replace it with a LED if it ever quits working.

--
92 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"There was a time when religion ruled the world. They called it the Dark
Ages."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2017 8:02 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

[...]

The fisture may be clloer with the LED, but the LED may be warmer than
the electronics in it light. Packaging for many bulbs may say "do not
use in closed fixtures" or "Use in open fixture or fixtures with
small air gaps 3 hours a day. " or some such warning.

https://a89b8e4143ca50438f09-7c1706b...pdf?1460661172
near the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 4:49:50 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 09/23/2017 09:56 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

It's hard to imaging how putting an LED that uses 14W in an enclosure
that previously housed a 100W is going to result in overheating.
Some early CFLs had heat problems, I saw some that said not to
install them upside down, presumably for that reason. But I have
them in ceiling fixtures in the garage, no problems. And I have a
CFL inside one of those round globe fixtures on the bottom of a fan
over my stairs that's on every night, it's been up there for years.

Both CFL and LED lights contain electronic components, which are
sensitive to heat.

I have a CFL in an enclosed fixture over my stove. It's been there for
several years. I expect to replace it with a LED if it ever quits working.

Sure they are sensitive to heat, if you exceed to operating range,
but a LED light only produces 14% of
the heat that the incandescent would if it were in there. I'm having a
hard time imagining an incandescent fixture that would rise to a
sufficient temperature so that electronics would fail. The standard
operating temperature range for commercial electronic components is
0 to 70C. How hot can a 14 watt light get in a housing designed for
100W?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 6:33:01 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Cocktail hour come early today? Who would buy a bulb that says you can
only use it 3 hours a day?