Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Overhead Kitchen Light Fixture And LED's Question

On 9/23/2017 8:02 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message On 9/23/2017 4:11 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace a Very old overhead kitchen light fixture
which uses two 60 W incandscent bulbs.

Seems like just about everything I can find that looks anything
like what we now have use LED's.

Guess it depends on the fixture, but in general is it
possible, or safe, to probably use incandescents in them ?

Too much heat, or... possibly ?

Bob

The other thing to watch is when using CFLs or LEDs in closed
incandescent lights. They will likely overheat in a closed fixture,
decreasing their life. I put a spacer on one fixture to open up a
small gap between the glass and metal base on one fixture.

I replaced a 60w old style bulb with a 60w LED in a closed
ceiling light fixture and it is noticeably cooler with the LED.
phil k.

The fisture may be clloer with the LED, but the LED may be warmer than
the electronics in it light. Packaging for many bulbs may say "do not
use in closed fixtures" or "Use in open fixture or fixtures with
small air gaps 3 hours a day. " or some such warning.

https://a89b8e4143ca50438f09-7c1706b...pdf?1460661172
near the bottom.