Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Overhead Kitchen Light Fixture And LED's Question

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 4:49:50 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 09/23/2017 09:56 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

It's hard to imaging how putting an LED that uses 14W in an enclosure
that previously housed a 100W is going to result in overheating.
Some early CFLs had heat problems, I saw some that said not to
install them upside down, presumably for that reason. But I have
them in ceiling fixtures in the garage, no problems. And I have a
CFL inside one of those round globe fixtures on the bottom of a fan
over my stairs that's on every night, it's been up there for years.

Both CFL and LED lights contain electronic components, which are
sensitive to heat.

I have a CFL in an enclosed fixture over my stove. It's been there for
several years. I expect to replace it with a LED if it ever quits working.

Sure they are sensitive to heat, if you exceed to operating range,
but a LED light only produces 14% of
the heat that the incandescent would if it were in there. I'm having a
hard time imagining an incandescent fixture that would rise to a
sufficient temperature so that electronics would fail. The standard
operating temperature range for commercial electronic components is
0 to 70C. How hot can a 14 watt light get in a housing designed for
100W?