Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I open sump pump with sealed radon mitigation system?

I purchased a house with working sump pump/radon mitigation system. I was
concerned if the sump pump was working. I unplugged both plugs and just
plugged in the pump and it worked. However since its sealed shut for the
radon mitigation system, I didn't know if it was possible to remove the lid to
test the arm that goes up and down to tell it to run. I checked this morning
after the rain and there was some water on top sump pump lid. Is it there a
procedure to remove the lid and break the seal of the radon mitigation system
or should I just hire a plumber?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...m-1141951-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 8:14:10 PM UTC-4, OldManJ wrote:
I purchased a house with working sump pump/radon mitigation system. I was
concerned if the sump pump was working. I unplugged both plugs and just
plugged in the pump and it worked. However since its sealed shut for the
radon mitigation system, I didn't know if it was possible to remove the lid to
test the arm that goes up and down to tell it to run. I checked this morning
after the rain and there was some water on top sump pump lid. Is it there a
procedure to remove the lid and break the seal of the radon mitigation system
or should I just hire a plumber?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...m-1141951-.htm

Are you talking about a seal that's there to physically keep radon
gas from escaping, eg silicone or similar? Or a seal that's intended
to keep someone like you out? Neither would present a challenge for
me. You just need a sealing material to keep the radon gas from
getting by. Whatever is there, if it's rubber or similar intended
to be re-used you're fine. If it looks like it needs to be replaced,
replace it or if there is silicone around a pipe coming out, you can
reseal with that again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 17:32:00 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 8:14:10 PM UTC-4, OldManJ wrote:
I purchased a house with working sump pump/radon mitigation system. I was
concerned if the sump pump was working. I unplugged both plugs and just
plugged in the pump and it worked.

You plugged in the pump. Wasn't it plugged in before?

What did you unplug? A separate device that switches on the power to
the pump? that plugs into the receptacle and the pump plugs into its
plug??? If so, you should know that not all sump pumps are arranged
liek that so you should be more clear.

However since its sealed shut for the
radon mitigation system, I didn't know if it was possible to remove the lid to
test the arm that goes up and down to tell it to run.

Can you go down there when it's raining and see if you hear the pump.

BTW, there is a delay between the rain falling and it seeping through
the ground into the sump. Though maybe only 10 minutes.

I checked this morning
after the rain and there was some water on top sump pump lid.

How could that happen? Are you saying the sump filled to the top and
water leaked out and got on the lid? How come none got on the floor?
Is the lid lower than the floor?

Is it there a
procedure to remove the lid and break the seal of the radon mitigation system
or should I just hire a plumber?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...m-1141951-.htm

Are you talking about a seal that's there to physically keep radon
gas from escaping, eg silicone or similar? Or a seal that's intended
to keep someone like you out? Neither would present a challenge for
me. You just need a sealing material to keep the radon gas from
getting by. Whatever is there, if it's rubber or similar intended
to be re-used you're fine. If it looks like it needs to be replaced,
replace it or if there is silicone around a pipe coming out, you can
reseal with that again.

My impression, based on nothing, was that a lot of houses had sealed
systems even though no radon had been found. Is that true? On the
theory that the sump was a possible entry point for radon so they should
seal it. It would be good to know if the sump is releasing radon or not.
When I bought this house 33 years ago, the theory was that it was bad to
spend time in the basement when there was radon, but that the first
floor had a lot more ventilation. Certainly in the summer you can open
the windows and air out any radon you let leak out of the sump, and 2
hours of leakage is a pittance anyhow.

They sell radon testers that have to sit there for 7 days iirc and then
you send it in somewhere and they write back to you whether you have
colon cancer. .... Hmm. Now I'm not sure what that letter meant.

sealed sump pit for radon mitigation [email protected] Home Repair 17 April 16th 18 04:29 PM
radon mitigation system diadkinson Home Repair 14 November 14th 14 09:41 PM
Radon Mitigation System - Fan in Basement? [email protected] Home Repair 6 November 2nd 06 10:18 PM
Radon mitigation 46erjoe Home Repair 7 January 27th 06 06:42 PM
Air exhanger vs radon mitigation jack Home Repair 1 October 24th 04 09:12 PM